• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

You see I disagree with that paragraph. He has tried different formations and brought in different players but he has played the same "system" - high line and inverted wingers, lots of possession in a small area of the pitch. Yet his "system" has failed to create many chances in the box I would say that is stubborn. It is unless I am wrong essentially the same system as at Chelsea. With respect to Dawson, I think his arm was forced with Kaboul suffering a long term injury and Gallas clearly unable to cope with the high line. How he'd worked out that a 35 year old and 40 year old in goal could cope with the high line, but Dawson could not does make me scratch my head.

He didn't select inverted wingers in our last Premier League game

A lot of new users trying to settle in, you can't expect them to hit the ground running - once they've found thier feet and gel in to things im sure GG will be back on form and up there with the best...

:)

:ross:

So i only just realised AVB had the guy thrown out for the song "your getting sacked in the morning, sacked in the moooooorrrrning, you're getting sacked in the morning. SACKED IN THE MORNING!!!"

i think it might be more than that. if its that song as typed...then one person singing that a bit isnt enough to warrant that reaction...otherwise you're in the wrong job or people wil l start seeing you as a bit of a sissy that cant hack it.

i tink it must have been something else that person said

i mean , potentially now every team will sing that to us you know? better not be that

I think even the Daily Mail, in the midst of their 'AVB is a mental, arrogant, geek LOLZ' campaign acknowledged that they understood the chants to be far nastier.

You see I disagree with that paragraph. He has tried different formations and brought in different players but he has played the same "system" - high line and inverted wingers, lots of possession in a small area of the pitch. Yet his "system" has failed to create many chances in the box I would say that is stubborn. It is unless I am wrong essentially the same system as at Chelsea. With respect to Dawson, I think his arm was forced with Kaboul suffering a long term injury and Gallas clearly unable to cope with the high line. How he'd worked out that a 35 year old and 40 year old in goal could cope with the high line, but Dawson could not does make me scratch my head.

Obviously most managers will have some preferred tactics and they will set some goals that the team will work toward achieving. Look at managers like Guardiola, Klopp, Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho and to some extent they're all a bit stubborn in the way they want their teams to play. That to me is a good thing.

But like milo pointed out we played without inverted wingers in our last PL game. Last season we played Lennon a lot, Bale started on the left and was the moved more centrally later in the season. I can't see how AVB has been stubborn about inverted wingers.

So because system isn't working he's overly stubborn? Of course he's not going to change everything so as long as we're not reaching our potential you can say that he's stubborn as he (like most managers) will work within certain parameters depending on what he thinks is best long term. He shouldn't throw everything out the window just because it hasn't worked so far.

I think you forgot about Caulker when you were talking about Dawson? Or his fairly slow introduction of Chiriches? Or that he sent out Ekotto on loan making Vertonghen a backup left back and thus further trusting Dawson this season? That was either way only one of the points I was making where he's changed and adapted to what has been going on.

Not a big fan of the term inverted winger, but it certainly can't be used to describe Lamela when he plays on the left. I think it can be used to describe Lamela when he plays on the right although Mumorn's slightly longer description is better.

Not a big fan of the term inverted winger, but it certainly can't be used to describe Lamela when he plays on the left. I think it can be used to describe Lamela when he plays on the right although Mumorn's slightly longer description is better.

Certainly.

Although it's true that we didnt play with inverted wingers against City, the same can be said that we also didn't play proper players in those positions. Sure, Lamela is left footed but he should NEVER play on the left, the only person we could realistically play on the left and not have an "inverted" winger there is Townsend and we're yet to even see him there this year.

Certainly.

Although it's true that we didnt play with inverted wingers against City, the same can be said that we also didn't play proper players in those positions. Sure, Lamela is left footed but he should NEVER play on the left, the only person we could realistically play on the left and not have an "inverted" winger there is Townsend and we're yet to even see him there this year.

Agreed. Although I would add that Lamela might in time adjust to playing on the left, you never know. For now though he should play either on the right or in the hole.

Agreed. Although I would add that Lamela might in time adjust to playing on the left, you never know. For now though he should play either on the right or in the hole.

Agreed with him playing on the right or in the hole. We need to get him in the team and simply just play him every week, regardless of form. We need to stick to an eleven. Let them find their feet, let them learn together.

Certainly.

I agree. I only mentioned Lennon and Lamela playing on their "true?" side because Robspur had said that ABV "has played the same "system" - high line and inverted wingers" I was just giving an example where he hadn't

Agreed with him playing on the right or in the hole. We need to get him in the team and simply just play him every week, regardless of form. We need to stick to an eleven. Let them find their feet, let them learn together.

I'm not sure if I agree that we need to just stick with an eleven, some considerations for opponents and form should be taken.

I do think that to progress we should start trying to get the best out of our best players. Lamela has the potential to be one of our very best players and should start so we can see some results from him improving his form instead of someone not quite as good improving theirs. Similarly I want Kaboul instead of Dawson, Eriksen ahead of Lamela when fit, Soldado continuing ahead of Defoe and so on.

I think long term Paulinho will add more to this team than Dembele has, but on current form it might be better to start Dembele though as they're both very good players.

Back