• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

We're better off than last year. Project our current results forward and we'd have comfortably finished 4th.

Again, the problem with this kind of stat, as pleasant as it may be, is that I really don't think it has much relevance to anything.

Going by that, it was predicting us to finish about 15 points ahead of Arsenal until about the 30th game last season. Not going to lie and say I didn't and don't enjoy reading the comparisons but their actual predictive value is almost nil imo.

On a side note to everyone, can we all lighten up a tad? I know we all want Spurs to do well but it really isn't the be all and end all. There are some very condescending people on this board (often with little cause to be so in my opinion) but the arguments are getting just a little nasty and people seem to be taking differing views on AVB from other posters as a personal insult.

Yes I was - better than last season certainly. That doesn't mean we lost to any of those teams last season though. We did lose to a lot of other teams - some better, some worse - it happens.

If you think the results have been good so far this season then I feel sorry for you.

Again, the problem with this kind of stat, as pleasant as it may be, is that I really don't think it has much relevance to anything.

Going by that, it was predicting us to finish about 15 points ahead of Arsenal until about the 30th game last season. Not going to lie and say I didn't and don't enjoy reading the comparisons but their actual predictive value is almost nil imo.

On a side note to everyone, can we all lighten up a tad? I know we all want Spurs to do well but it really isn't the be all and end all. There are some very condescending people on this board (often with little cause to be so in my opinion) but the arguments are getting just a little nasty and people seem to be taking differing views on AVB from other posters as a personal insult.

Quite right. It's like the BBC predictor, football is unpredictable.

As for the last paragraph, well said!

Redknapp was whoring himself out to the England job and people where chanting and begging for him to stay, it's disgusting to see the non support that he gets from the majority of us when he's actually trying to improve us. AVB is taking some time to implement his tactics had a few bad losses but remains 100% committed to us. No wonder other teams **** us off as fans when we're this fickle with our manager and can't get behind him.

I know you particularly hated Redknapp but I'm sorry, there's a bit of delusion there if you think AVB cares any more about us than Redknapp did. This is the man who left his hometown club, the club he supported as a child after just one season and after telling supporters he would be staying. Yep, he'll have absolutely no qualms on moving on. And why should he? Fans and the chairman would have absolutely no qualms about moving him on if a clearly superior alternative presented itself.

Slight irony btw regarding the fickle manager comment and many of your previous comments on Redknapp....

I think we'll have a different manager in charge first game next season. Either he doesn't get top 4, in which case Levy might say we'll try someone new. Or he achieves his objectives, does well and then moves on to further his own career.

And in the current climate on this forum AVB's willingness to change his mind - Dawson/Adebayor - is seen as a sign of his weakness. The only way that beardy ginger chap can win is if the team starts winning by playing the Spurs way.

For the second season in a row, he needs to find the way to do it even if it deviates from his long-term vision. Last season, with Bale in huge form, he decided to shape the team around Bale, using Ade to (IMO) great effect in helping this happen…he needs to do something similar here, except this season there is no Bale.

I hope he starts Ade on Sunday, in the middle beind Soldado and with Lennon on the right and Andros on the left. Have the wingers play wide. Have the full-backs NOT push on so aggressively, quick passing to those players and let them stretch the Utd DM/D…

From the BBC Sport website

Villas-Boas also made light of the suggestion he should be replaced at Tottenham by ex-United manager Ferguson after ex-chairman Lord Sugar said he would like to see the Scot take charge.
"I think it is pretty fair [to say Ferguson could do better]," the 36-year-old manager said with a smile.

Thanks a lot Andre, it may well be true, but I'm not sure I want my manager saying things like that

Lovely quotes from AVB to add to the other lovely quotes he's been spouting off this last month.

Last edited:

Villas-Boas also made light of the suggestion he should be replaced at Tottenham by ex-United manager Ferguson after ex-chairman Lord Sugar said he would like to see the Scot take charge.
"I think it is pretty fair [to say Ferguson could do better]," the 36-year-old manager said with a smile.

Thanks a lot Andre, it may well be true, but I'm not sure I want my manager saying things like that

What's wrong with saying that? What else is he meant to say?

Surely he's just being humble. Who would be arrogant enough to say they'd be better than Fergie apart from Mourinho

Harmless throw away response to a direct question no doubt. Some of his other recent comments are a lot more worrying.

I read that as him saying Ferguson could do better than manage spurs?

Thats how I read it tbh.

To answer LedleysKnee question, personally I would rather he didnt comment on the question at all, or just say he doesnt wish to discuss other ex-managers, rather than suggest SAF could do better than manage Spurs (whether that to be the truth or not)

Oh and get in...I've just become Edgar Davids.

Oh to have him back in a SPurs shirt, in his prime

If people are holding the Ferguson quote against him then he really cannot win.

If you were conspiratorial, it would be as follows…

People know he has a tendency to be very very nervy when under pressure, people know he has a tendency to be edgy when under pressure, people make sure that he is put under pressure and people make sure that no-one is there to act as a buffer.

Most managers have had a tete a tete with some mouthy fan, but they also (vitally) have someone close by to calm them down in the heat of the moment)…to be honest, this seems like something which could easily have been either unreported, avoided or seen AVB ushered into some common sense at the touchline by one of his own staff…none of that happened…

At the end of the day, he is responsible and should've been smarter. But I do think there are forces at work to undermine him, and I hope he discovers the necessary comprehension of the situation/intelligence, to make it through, otherwise it will be costly for him...

I've seen Harry get involved with fans many a time. Usually big Joe is there to pull him away. I believe it happened this season at an away ground.
I have no doubt the fan was shouting at AVB and I've also no doubt it was abuse rather than just the "sacked in the morning" line. I'd have done the same personally, or worse and gone for him!

If people are holding the Ferguson quote against him then he really cannot win.

+1

He's quite clearly paying tribute to his managerial ability (SAF would do a better job as he is one if the best and better than me, basically)

If he'd said the opposite ge'd be slaughtered for arrogance - he cannot win

Thats how I read it tbh.

To answer LedleysKnee question, personally I would rather he didnt comment on the question at all, or just say he doesnt wish to discuss other ex-managers, rather than suggest SAF could do better than manage Spurs (whether that to be the truth or not)

Hmm, I didn't see it that way. I read it as AVB saying: "it's fair to say [while smiling] that Ferguson would do better [clear subcontext being Whiskey Nose's record, achievements, legendary status etc] than me as Spurs manager"... he's paying a legendary manager his dues while smiling, so in a way disarming that interfering old git Sugar.

TBF, really need to see a video of that question and answer, hard to comment properly without seeing it. However, if my interpretation is correct, then i don't mind AVB saying that at all... nothing wrong with a bit of light humour.

Back