• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

And this is a stat that causes me all sorts of problems. Last season's performance is in no way a guarantee of future success when you paint it like this.

For example, do you expect us to:

Beat Man U away
Beat Liverpool at home
Beat Arsenal at home
Beat City at home

On current performances, I will say very confidently that we won't get those four results.

We lost only 3 league games from this point on last season. I can say very confidently that if we continue with AVB, we'll lose more than that for the remainder of this season. Look at what's happening in front of you. Look at the performances. Don't just rely on stats.

You'd have said that at this point last year too and you'd have been wrong.

Sorry, but I don't remember us losing at home to either West Ham or Saudi Sportswashing Machine last year, nor being demolished by Man C.

No, but these results happened:

Tottenham 0-1 Wigan
Tottenham 2-4 Chelsea
Tottenham 0-1 Fulham
Tottenham 1-1 Norwich
Tottenham 0-0 Stoke
Tottenham 1-1 West Brom
Arsenal 5-2 Tottenham

2011/12:

Tottenham 1-2 Norwich
Tottenham 1-5 Emirates Marketing Project
Tottenham 1-3 Man Utd
Tottenham 1-1 Wolves
Tottenham 1-1 Stoke
Arsenal 5-2 Tottenham

So we've lost some games. It happens EVERY season, it's just not the exact same teams every time.

I'd have very strongly fancied our chances of beating Liverpool and Arsenal. They've gotten better, we've gotten worse.

Arsenal haven't improved, they've just started on a really, really easy run - compare their results to last season against the same or equivalent teams.

Liverpool have improved but so have Southampton - I don't see either of them mounting a serious top 4 challenge this season.

Empirically, we haven't got any worse at all. It may feel it because this season's results are fresher in the memory, but it's not the case.

No, you're refusing to engage his point actually, which is very valid and a perfectly legitimate response to your post.

Actually he responded with an entirely irrelevant point to my post, but don't let that stop either of you.

Arsenal haven't improved, they've just started on a really, really easy run - compare their results to last season against the same or equivalent teams.

Liverpool have improved but so have Southampton - I don't see either of them mounting a serious top 4 challenge this season.

Empirically, we haven't got any worse at all. It may feel it because this season's results are fresher in the memory, but it's not the case.

Arsenal have improved. I don't see them winning the league but the additions of Ozil (who admittedly is over-rated) and Flamini have improved them.

I didn't expect Liverpool to mount a top 4 challenge and I still don't think they will make it but they are looking a lot better than us at the moment. They will have a bad patch at some stage but I wouldn't put a cent on us finishing ahead of them.

We have gotten worse. If you look at the performances, we are worse than last year. We aren't scoring. City have now exposed our defensive strength as a myth - other teams will pick up on this. We don't have Bale to get us out of jail this season. He was massive last year. It might sound like a cliche but it's true. Think of how many games and points his magic won for us.

There are a lot of parallels with where we are now and where we were a couple of months into Santini's reign. Like I said earlier, I expect our results to get worse much more than I expect our performances to get better. And if I'm right, we'll see this on Sunday and against Fulham and Sunderland.

If you want to use stats to console yourself that we aren't any worse then go ahead. But if it was solely down to stats, mathematicians would be football managers.

No, but these results happened:

Tottenham 0-1 Wigan
Tottenham 2-4 Chelsea
Tottenham 0-1 Fulham
Tottenham 1-1 Norwich
Tottenham 0-0 Stoke
Tottenham 1-1 West Brom
Arsenal 5-2 Tottenham

2011/12:

Tottenham 1-2 Norwich
Tottenham 1-5 Emirates Marketing Project
Tottenham 1-3 Man Utd
Tottenham 1-1 Wolves
Tottenham 1-1 Stoke
Arsenal 5-2 Tottenham

So we've lost some games. It happens EVERY season, it's just not the exact same teams every time.

Don't be silly, you're looking at things from a rational perspective.

Arsenal have improved. I don't see them winning the league but the additions of Ozil (who admittedly is over-rated) and Flamini have improved them.

I didn't expect Liverpool to mount a top 4 challenge and I still don't think they will make it but they are looking a lot better than us at the moment. They will have a bad patch at some stage but I wouldn't put a cent on us finishing ahead of them.

We have gotten worse. If you look at the performances, we are worse than last year. We aren't scoring. City have now exposed our defensive strength as a myth - other teams will pick up on this. We don't have Bale to get us out of jail this season. He was massive last year. It might sound like a cliche but it's true. Think of how many games and points his magic won for us.

There are a lot of parallels with where we are now and where we were a couple of months into Santini's reign. Like I said earlier, I expect our results to get worse much more than I expect our performances to get better. And if I'm right, we'll see this on Sunday and against Fulham and Sunderland.

If you want to use stats to console yourself that we aren't any worse then go ahead. But if it was solely down to stats, mathematicians would be football managers.

Yep. Absolutely. I don't know why people would rather kid themselves with stats than actually watch what is going on on the pitch. It really is astonishing.

Levy's really going to throw his £100m+ project away because of three defeats (two of which would be against the two top teams in the league in recent seasons)?

If Levy sacks AVB now, he'll probably have to go himself as well, because that would expose real incompetence.

The players we have are far better than the performances we are producing, that can only be down to one man.

I wish AVB hadn't asked for the fan's removal/to be moved…these are the moments when he needs to gauge the temperature. He is under a micro-microscope and these are the moments where he simply has to make sure he doesn't give any fodder for their cannons whatsoever...

Yep. Absolutely. I don't know why people would rather kid themselves with stats than actually watch what is going on on the pitch. It really is astonishing.

Amen brother. The deluded AVB supporters are getting close to lunacy, but some people will rather stick to their guns to the end, rather then admit they are wrong. I honestly do think that if we got hammered 6-0 the next 3 games in a row, some people here would still ramble on that he should'nt be sacked.

The players we have are far better than the performances we are producing, that can only be down to one man.

I think that it is more likely down to 22 men and their collective poor form. It happens to all clubs and all managers, the good ones hold their nerve and come out of it stronger.

***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

I wish AVB hadn't asked for the fan's removal/to be moved…these are the moments when he needs to gauge the temperature. He is under a micro-microscope and these are the moments where he simply has to make sure he doesn't give any fodder for their cannons whatsoever...

I agree. Its exactly this kind of thing where you have to question the "intelligence" of this apparently very intelligent man.

Amen brother. The deluded AVB supporters are getting close to lunacy, but some people will rather stick to their guns to the end, rather then admit they are wrong. I honestly do think that if we got hammered 6-0 the next 3 games in a row, some people here would still ramble on that he should'nt be sacked.

how about you stop the baiting/trolling of those you don't agree with and post with a bit of maturity, for a change?

I think it's too early to judge AVB this season. I remember an english newspaper calling bale a flop in january of his first year and he went on to bring a buttload of goals, wins and in the end money to the club.

I think that it is more likely down to 22 men and their collective poor form. It happens to all clubs and all managers, the good ones hold their nerve and come out of it stronger.

Come on Milo they look just as frustrated out there playing as we do watching it.

I think it's too early to judge AVB this season. I remember an english newspaper calling bale a flop in january of his first year and he went on to bring a buttload of goals, wins and in the end money to the club.

I agree but we need to see some improvement in performance, what he is trying to do is not working.

Back