• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Agreed we did look better second half but still there was fortune in the goals o.g plus siggys pass was not meant for Dembele. I accept this happens at all levels of football fortune,luck what ever you want to call it.
But you can't escape the fact Europa league has served up poor opposition.

AVB risked some of our first team players in a dead rubber tie ask your self why. ? He was desperate for the win to take of the pressure but did we fly out of the traps attack them make them look hurried under pressure ? No we did not we still played the same way we have been. Dull negative slow.

We have brought in some very good players this summer with good attacking qualities yet AVB can not get a tune out of them at all. Do they become bad players over night ? No blah blah time to settle gel etc he does not pick the same team game to game so it won't gel.

Our wingers don't beat there full back they forever turn back so soldado gets no service he himself played the best couple of crosses and through balls last night.

It all stems from AVB and his rigid and stubborn ideals on the way he wants us to play.

9 goals in 12 games is shocking there were already doubts about him creeping in before last Sundays horror show that's just brought it all to the surface.

It all firmly lies at his feet

Ha cant argue you with any of that!

I cant wait for Sunday ](*,)

Barclay in the Standard tonight said the press had been briefed by an anonymous source on the Spurs board, basically someone trying to serve their own interests. I don't think he is as near to the exit as you have begun to believe. It was insinuated that it wasn't someone at the forefront of the decision making out it that way.

We should know whoever this board member is, because he is a f'in twunt! He is only serving his own interests, destabilising the club and increasing pressure and scrutiny. Whatever people's opinions of AVB it is a f'in low thing to do.

It's not difficult to guess (though he's not a director). The same person who briefed Richard Keys ahead of the Old Trafford fixture last year perhaps?

It's not difficult to guess (though he's not a director). The same person who briefed Richard Keys ahead of the Old Trafford fixture last year perhaps?

Quite transparent too - brief the press in the days before a match against Utd, as we always lose against them. Makes his bullsh1t case look stronger.

It clearly backfired last year but he's still using the same old tricks.

Quite transparent too - brief the press in the days before a match against Utd, as we always lose against them. Makes his bullsh1t case look stronger.

It clearly backfired last year but he's still using the same old tricks.

Think if we do get mauled on Sunday then the trigger will be pulled on AVB
this time around .

this time around .

Levy's really going to throw his £100m+ project away because of three defeats (two of which would be against the two top teams in the league in recent seasons)?

If Levy sacks AVB now, he'll probably have to go himself as well, because that would expose real incompetence.

***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

this time around .

We can but hope. If we take a predictable mauling on Sunday, the season can still be turned around with a new manager. Wait till christmas and the season would be all but over.

Last edited:

Really? Are you sure?

What THFC6061 did was the complete opposite of cherry picking - he included all the data.

You then took out the data that didn't fit your opinion (cherry picking) and suggested that our performances were bad on that basis.

Both approaches can be instructive. It's nice to have the broad brushstrokes of the largest possible number of results and performances in all competitions, but you want to compare and contrast. You also want to be able to compare like with like, which you're not when you lump cup games in with the bread-and-butter of the league. Being too selective about which teams you choose to compare results against is a bit pointless at this stage, I agree, but we are approaching halfway through the season, so I don't think pulling out results against other top-half sides is all that unreasonable, if the league is your main focus to start with.

Many people are keen to focus on league performance, so they are disinterested in the EL stats and what they may or may not add to the picture. You might say that, if you've got a patient bleeding to death on the operating table, you're unlikely to be much consoled by the observation that his hair still looks very nice and healthy, and that might provide a reasonable analogy for someone who doesn't give a hoot about the Europa, but is starting to get a bit panicky about aspects of our league form. Personally, I don't think things are that dramatic yet, and I'm happy to stick with the bigger picture for now, but clearly, some have already lost patience.

stats? fck stats. We don't need stats to tell us how good or bad we've been this season. We've been shiit. I've seen it with my own eyes. And its getting worse.

We're being exposed like we all knew we would be. Who gives a fuuck what a bunch of stats say????

stats? fck stats. We don't need stats to tell us how good or bad we've been this season. We've been shiit. I've seen it with my own eyes. And its getting worse.

We're being exposed like we all knew we would be. Who gives a fuuck what a bunch of stats say????

The league table is a stat. That matters a lot if you want to win the league.

The league table is a stat. That matters a lot if you want to win the league.

What an exceptional point you make. But how can looking at the league table affect your chances of winning the league? I'd of thought that on pitch performances/results would influence that? You could in theory, study the league table so hard you forget to turn up for a game.

Its performances that matter, irrespective of what stats say. And our have been rubbish. Nothing else matters apart from performances and results. The rest is craap.

Edit: if a team wins three games but doesn't look at the table, and one team loses three but studies it in detail, which team gathers more points?

Stats are meaningless.

Last edited:

Levy's really going to throw his £100m+ project away because of three defeats (two of which would be against the two top teams in the league in recent seasons)?

If Levy sacks AVB now, he'll probably have to go himself as well, because that would expose real incompetence.

Carry on like this and it would be wasted anyway ..
Looks to me like AVB does not know what to do with 100 million notes worth of talent.
Where do you draw the line and cut your losses like someone above said season can still be saved wait to long then it's another written of year .
With lots of very good players that other clubs will be sniffing around.

What an exceptional point you make. But how can looking at the league table affect your chances of winning the league? I'd of thought that on pitch performances/results would influence that? You could in theory, study the league table so hard you forget to turn up for a game.

Its performances that matter, irrespective of what stats say. And our have been rubbish. Nothing else matters apart from performances and results. The rest is craap.

In terms of winning the league performances are almost irrelevant compared to results. Utd won the league last season without ever performing as well as the teams around them.

As for results, once the event has passed what do you think they are other than stats?

If his team meetings are anything like his press conferences, then AVB is in a world of trouble. The man contradicts himself within the scope of a single sentence. He may have innovative ideas, but can he communicate them effectively? I have my doubts. There have been occasions where I have been completely flummoxed by his 'logic.'

In terms of winning the league performances are almost irrelevant compared to results. Utd won the league last season without ever performing as well as the teams around them.

As for results, once the event has passed what do you think they are other than stats?

Once the event has passed its passed?! That's all that matters, is the event. An event that people witnessed and made judgements on. The impending 'stats' are irrelevant.

If his team meetings are anything like his press conferences, then AVB is in a world of trouble. The man contradicts himself within the scope of a single sentence. He may have innovative ideas, but can he communicate them effectively? I have my doubts. There have been occasions where I have been completely flummoxed by his 'logic.'

Yep i agree! Too many dimensions to his logic!!! :(

Carry on like this and it would be wasted anyway ..
Looks to me like AVB does not know what to do with 100 million notes worth of talent.
Where do you draw the line and cut your losses like someone above said season can still be saved wait to long then it's another written of year .
With lots of very good players that other clubs will be sniffing around.

So who do you want to take over that £100m worth of talent till the end of the season? Sherwood? Hoddle? Blimey, even Martin O'Neill isn't available any more.

Then new permanent manager in next summer (let's see who gets sacked during the world cup). A scramble to bring his own players in in August. Bit of a dead cat bounce for the first half a season but stutter to a 6th place finish, a big summer 2015 of overhauling the squad. Squad doesn't get a chance to settle and winter 2015-16 were back here in exactly the same place again. How many times do we want to do this to ourselves?

AVB has quite a strong disregard for the press (except one or two on the more intellectual wing). He gives them as little as he possibly can.

So who do you want to take over that £100m worth of talent till the end of the season? Sherwood? Hoddle? Blimey, even Martin O'Neill isn't available any more.

Then new permanent manager in next summer (let's see who gets sacked during the world cup). A scramble to bring his own players in in August. Bit of a dead cat bounce for the first half a season but stutter to a 6th place finish, a big summer 2015 of overhauling the squad. Squad doesn't get a chance to settle and winter 2015-16 were back here in exactly the same place again. How many times do we want to do this to ourselves?

AVB has quite a strong disregard for the press (except one or two on the more intellectual wing). He gives them as little as he possibly can.

I reckon that is bull****. Ferguson had a disregard for the press too, but at least his conferences were intelligible. His first language isn't English either BTW ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/29/andre-villas-boas-tromso-fan-sacked-chant-ejected

André Villas-Boas gets Tromso 'sacked in the morning' fan ejected

André Villas-Boas asked for a Tromso supporter who chanted that he would be "sacked in the morning" to be removed from his seat behind the dug-out during Tottenham Hotspur's 2-0 Europa League victory in Norway on Thursday evening.

The Tottenham manager said that he was "immune" to all criticism as the pressure on him mounted in the wake of last Sunday's 6-0 defeat at Emirates Marketing Project.

His position has come under scrutiny at boardroom level, with the City humiliation representing the low point of a difficult period, which has featured home losses to West Ham United and Saudi Sportswashing Machine and a worrying struggle for offensive fluency in the Premier League. He sorely needs a positive result and performance against Manchester United at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

But Villas-Boas snapped during the Tromso tie when he heard Reidar Stenersen Jr taunting him over his job prospects. Stenersen, a 29-year-old hairdresser who supports Manchester United, directed the chant at Villas-Boas in the early stages of the game. When he did it again at half-time and Villas-Boas pointed at him, he found himself removed by security.

Stenersen was told that he could return to watch the second half from the stand on the opposite side of the ground but he declined and retired to the pub.

"I first sung after five minutes that he would be 'sacked in the morning' and he looked at me," Stenersen told the Norwegian newspaper Nordlys. "At the half-time whistle, when it was still 0-0 and I started the same song, he pointed at me and suddenly the security came and threw me out.

"I know he is under a lot of pressure so I think my words hit him, even though I am only a little guy in little Tromso. He was being a bit petulant. This is the same thing that can be sung by 60,000 at the Emirates Stadium or other grounds."

Tromso's head of security, Hans-Thore Hanssen, confirmed that a fan had been moved after Villas-Boas made a complaint to the Uefa inspector. "He was asked to move to the other side," Hanssen said. "I was not there when the incident happened so what he may have shouted, I cannot say.

"But I know that he [Villas-Boas] had spoken to the Uefa inspector who, in turn, spoke to our security. The situation was handled correctly. If there is verbal abuse shouted, the supporter should be spoken to and, in some cases, thrown out. In this type of match, there is greater security."

I reckon that is bull****. Ferguson had a disregard for the press too, but at least his conferences were intelligible. His first language isn't English either BTW ;)

That is definitely bullsh1t!

I've seen a lot of his interviews and I've never understood a single word that man has said ;)

Back