• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

Barclay in the Standard tonight said the press had been briefed by an anonymous source on the Spurs board, basically someone trying to serve their own interests. I don't think he is as near to the exit as you have begun to believe. It was insinuated that it wasn't someone at the forefront of the decision making out it that way.

We should know whoever this board member is, because he is a f'in twunt! He is only serving his own interests, destabilising the club and increasing pressure and scrutiny. Whatever people's opinions of AVB it is a f'in low thing to do.

According to the official site, the club has four directors. I'm presuming that these make up the board.http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/the-club/investor-relations/club-directors/ I can't imagine that Daniel levy has briefed the press so that leaves it down to the other three. Would Baldini be considered part of the board? I'm not very familiar with corporate structure.

Barclay in the Standard tonight said the press had been briefed by an anonymous source on the Spurs board, basically someone trying to serve their own interests. I don't think he is as near to the exit as you have begun to believe. It was insinuated that it wasn't someone at the forefront of the decision making out it that way.

We should know whoever this board member is, because he is a f'in twunt! He is only serving his own interests, destabilising the club and increasing pressure and scrutiny. Whatever people's opinions of AVB it is a f'in low thing to do.

It's a disgrace as that person/those people will doubtless know how protective he can get…I absolutely hope upon hope the dressing room is with him and that everyone pulls through this to produce what we all want...

Just to balance it: I liked our second goal tonight, regardless of who it was against. Holtby threading an eye of the needle pass to Sig (who showed great off the ball movement to come in off the flank) and then nutmegged (just) a player passing the ball into space for Dembele to walk onto and score from. Extra mention to Soldado whose run dragged a defender out of the middle where Dembele eventually shot from. The pass from Holtby was something special though, but we actually broke down a team who packed the box, got midfielders in there to support Soldado and SCORED. This I imagine is how AVB instructs them to play. Lovely bit of interplay showing slick passing and great movement

Sigs pass was meant for Soldado and deflected to Dembele. Not trying to put a downer on it lol.

Tottenham's "disastrous" season so far...

P: 21
W: 14
D: 3
L: 4
Goals F-A: 34-15
Win %: 66.66%
Overall %: 73.81%

AVB out!

Amazing how much credit is given to Europa League fixtures in statistics like that. The Europa League would be good to win but to win matches in the Group Stages, and get excited about it, erm no. The quality of the opposition is mediocre, at best.

Tottenham's "disastrous" season so far...

P: 21
W: 14
D: 3
L: 4
Goals F-A: 34-15
Win %: 66.66%
Overall %: 73.81%

AVB out!

Fair enough but you're just proving why stats mean jack sh!t in a lot of cases.

The Europa League has been a joke so far from a competitive standpoint. The quality of teams has been very, very poor so I wouldn't include them if you want to make an objective assessment of our performances against expectations. You can say "a win is a win and it's a competition" if you're that way minded and fair enough, you can make a case. But really, I'd be expecting to beat Tromso, Anzhi and Sheriff if we put out our reserves and had my missus managing. And while she's a clever lass, she does want to know why Christian Bale no longer plays for us.

Amazing how much credit is given to Europa League fixtures in statistics like that. The Europa League would be good to win but to win matches in the Group Stages, and get excited about it, erm no. The quality of the opposition is mediocre, at best.

And yet if Spurs had lost those matches, there would be plenty of people having a good moan about it.

A club plays an entire season in order to stand a chance of qualifying for European Football, so why be so dismissive of the results once we're competing?

And yet if Spurs had lost those matches, there would be plenty of people having a good moan about it.

A club plays an entire season in order to stand a chance of qualifying for European Football, so why be so dismissive of the results once we're competing?

Course we'd be moaning, these teams would struggle in the Championship. It should be a given that you beat them.

And really, clubs at Spurs' level and above play a season to get into the CL. The Europa League is a very poor consolation prize. That's sad given the history of the competition but it's the reality.

Because you're just including them to make us look good when we all know we're playing ****e.
We can all play that game, here's the stats of us versus the top 10 premier league teams this season p6 w1 d2 l3 f2 a9 w% 16.66 pts/g 0.83

Stats mean nothing if including the Europa league poor opposition should be winning against at a canter.
Look at the league we have lost 4 already and only lost 8 all last season.
Fair enough people looking into the stats and trying to be optimistic but we need to be honest with ourselves.
We have been very poor as for AVB comments last night please what a load of rubbish good win for us and confidence goals etc I've seen better sides in the conference than that lot we played last night. Acid test Sunday even if we get beat by 1 or two we need a performance we need to look threatening going forward.

AVB is not at a must win stage yet
but he is getting near it .

Stats mean nothing if including the Europa league poor opposition should be winning against at a canter.
Look at the league we have lost 4 already and only lost 8 all last season.
Fair enough people looking into the stats and trying to be optimistic but we need to be honest with ourselves.
We have been very poor as for AVB comments last night please what a load of rubbish good win for us and confidence goals etc I've seen better sides in the conference than that lot we played last night. Acid test Sunday even if we get beat by 1 or two we need a performance we need to look threatening going forward.

AVB is not at a must win stage yet
but he is getting near it .

I think you are being harsh there djp82, last nights game ok it was against a poor team, but the pressure was intense, plastic pitch, reserve Spurs side, facing a team who were playing their last game of the season in front of their own fans and must of wanted to give a performance because they have just been relegated.

I cant argue the first half was poor, but 2nd half we started to look better and once the first goal went in we should have got a few more. I'm not a massive AVB fan but at the same time I dont want him sacked just yet he still does deserve more time to turn it around. (if he can)

Its annoying if we had got an early goal that game would have ended up 5 or 6 nil

Because you're just including them to make us look good when we all know we're playing ****e.
We can all play that game, here's the stats of us versus the top 10 premier league teams this season p6 w1 d2 l3 f2 a9 w% 16.66 pts/g 0.83

If we're only choosing the data that prove our own opinions, here's our stats vs Norwich this season:

P1 W1 D0 L0 F2 A0 W%100 PPG 3

We're gonna win the league! Or maybe cherry picking is a silly thing to do.

Can never remember which of those it is :-k

statistically speaking shouldn't you remove all outliers, if you drop Tromso and Anzhi shouldn't you also be removing City and Chelsea?

I think you are being harsh there djp82, last nights game ok it was against a poor team, but the pressure was intense, plastic pitch, reserve Spurs side, facing a team who were playing their last game of the season in front of their own fans and must of wanted to give a performance because they have just been relegated.

I cant argue the first half was poor, but 2nd half we started to look better and once the first goal went in we should have got a few more. I'm not a massive AVB fan but at the same time I dont want him sacked just yet he still does deserve more time to turn it around. (if he can)

Its annoying if we had got an early goal that game would have ended up 5 or 6 nil

Agreed we did look better second half but still there was fortune in the goals o.g plus siggys pass was not meant for Dembele. I accept this happens at all levels of football fortune,luck what ever you want to call it.
But you can't escape the fact Europa league has served up poor opposition.

AVB risked some of our first team players in a dead rubber tie ask your self why. ? He was desperate for the win to take of the pressure but did we fly out of the traps attack them make them look hurried under pressure ? No we did not we still played the same way we have been. Dull negative slow.

We have brought in some very good players this summer with good attacking qualities yet AVB can not get a tune out of them at all. Do they become bad players over night ? No blah blah time to settle gel etc he does not pick the same team game to game so it won't gel.

Our wingers don't beat there full back they forever turn back so soldado gets no service he himself played the best couple of crosses and through balls last night.

It all stems from AVB and his rigid and stubborn ideals on the way he wants us to play.

9 goals in 12 games is shocking there were already doubts about him creeping in before last Sundays horror show that's just brought it all to the surface.

It all firmly lies at his feet

If we're only choosing the data that prove our own opinions, here's our stats vs Norwich this season:

P1 W1 D0 L0 F2 A0 W%100 PPG 3

We're gonna win the league! Or maybe cherry picking is a silly thing to do.

Can never remember which of those it is :-k

That's exactly my point.

That's exactly my point.

Really? Are you sure?

What THFC6061 did was the complete opposite of cherry picking - he included all the data.

You then took out the data that didn't fit your opinion (cherry picking) and suggested that our performances were bad on that basis.

Seriously worried about his lack of flexibility and tactics, you can't play football out of a fecking text book, I also think he is not getting the best from our present players, upon saying this it would be daft to get rid of him before the end of the season, let's hope he can turn it round.

From the usually well connected (on transfer stuff anyway) Greg Stobart, some new information.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...a-fraud-tottenham-still-searching-for-answers

'A genius or a fraud' - Tottenham still searching for answers over under-pressure Villas-Boas

The Portuguese is under mounting pressure ahead of Sunday's clash with Manchester United after the humiliating 6-0 defeat at City left Spurs ninth in the Premier League table

SPECIAL REPORT
By Greg Stobart

When Andre Villas-Boas was hired as Tottenham's manager in July 2012, he seemed like a dream appointment for an ambitious, modern-thinking Premier League board.

The PowerPoint presentations, the 10-point plans, the attention to detail all drew a stark contrast with his predecessor Harry Redknapp and the Portuguese seemed like just the man to take Spurs to the next level.

"He’s either a genius or a fraud," was the word from one well-placed source after Villas-Boas was given the job. Seventeen months into his tenure, the jury is still out.

While Villas-Boas is not in imminent danger of losing his job, the 36-year-old is now under pressure following last Sunday’s humiliating 6-0 defeat at Emirates Marketing Project, which left Spurs ninth in the Premier League table, eight points behind leaders Arsenal.

Villas-Boas hit back at critics this week by insisting he has the confidence of the board and the players, but he knows he will only be judged on results as he prepares for Manchester United’s visit to White Hart Lane this Sunday.

After all, that is why he was appointed to the position of 'head coach' rather than given the traditional British manager’s job.

In Tottenham’s managerial structure, the head coach is considered more dispensable than an all-powerful manager - and the Spurs board are now questioning both the results and the style of play under Villas-Boas.

Football is a fickle game at almost every level, but part of the former Chelsea boss’ problem is that he has lost some goodwill with board members, players and supporters alike.

After his failure at Chelsea, Villas-Boas arrived at White Hart Lane feeling he had a point to prove to almost everyone. Even when he first met Chris Ramsey, he was reminded that the highly rated Academy coach was the assessor who once 'failed' him on his Uefa B coaching license.

The Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, appointed Villas-Boas after taking the controversial decision to sack Redknapp, and spent more than £100 million on seven internationals over the summer to build a squad capable of challenging for the Premier League title.

Having backed Villas-Boas in the transfer market, Levy will want to back him on the pitch. His reputation is on the line, too.

But Levy will also remember Villas-Boas’ private outburst after the failure to land Joao Moutinho from Porto on the final day of the summer transfer window in 2012.

He will also remember how Villas-Boas appeared to be on board with the club’s strategy in his job interview, talking about how he would complement clever, undervalued signings like Jan Vertonghen with Academy products.

Yet in his first meeting with the 'transfer committee', he demanded more than £50m of spending on Moutinho, Hulk and Anderson.

The disparity was immediately pointed out to him by technical co-ordinator Tim Sherwood, and while their relationship has now improved, at one point last season there was barely any communication between the pair.

Calls for youth players to be blooded in Europa League and Capital One Cup games have also fallen on deaf ears, with a number of first-team players - Vertonghen and Paulinho to name two - already exhausted and in the 'red zone' as we go in to the busy December fixtures.

Players’ minds can quickly change, though. This time last year, many were complaining about the intensity and complexity of Villas-Boas’ methods; while by the time the Gareth Bale-inspired team were flying in February, most were full of praise for the coach’s attention to detail and inclusive man-management style.

Yet, having erred in exiling popular players at Chelsea like Nicolas Anelka and Alex, he has also ruled with an iron fist at Spurs’ £40m training centre.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto left on loan for QPR in the summer having been completely dropped from the first-team squad, while only the team’s dreadful attacking record - nine goals from 12 league games - has brought Emmanuel Adebayor back from the cold. The Togolese made his first appearance of the season as a substitute in the defeat at City after Villas-Boas and privately stated in the summer that the striker would never player for the club again.

Then there is the dispute with the club’s medical staff over the Hugo Llloris concussion saga at Everton. They clearly wanted the Frenchman to come off the pitch at Goodison Park and found their integrity being widely questioned before preventing him from playing against Saudi Sportswashing Machine the next week following post-concussion assessment and cognitive tests.

And Villas-Boas has also managed to lose goodwill with the fans after criticising the home support in the 1-0 win over Hull in October. Given the cheapest adult ticket this weekend will be £48 and in light of the dour displays this season, the fans are less likely to forgive more bad performances.

Somehow, Tottenham are just two points off the top four as they target a place in next season’s Champions League and Villas-Boas is confident that he will find the formula to turn around performances and results.

Defeat to United would signal three league losses in a row and pile the pressure on the 36-year-old, while a victory over the champions would probably ensure that it’s another top flight manager feeling the heat next week.

But there will still be people in the upper echelons at Tottenham, not least Levy and the owner Joe Lewis, who will continue for a while longer to question whether they got what they signed up for.

Really? Are you sure?

What THFC6061 did was the complete opposite of cherry picking - he included all the data.

You then took out the data that didn't fit your opinion (cherry picking) and suggested that our performances were bad on that basis.

We might as well have included the pre season friendlies as the Cup games.
Our performances are bad.

We might as well have included the pre season friendlies as the Cup games.
Our performances are bad.

That would be outside of the scope as THFC6061 specifically mentioned this season.

And I misspoke on my post - performances are sporadically good and bad, results aren't that bad at all (without looking it up I suspect better than at this point last year).

You can use your data set to talk about performances against PL top 10 teams but as in my post, why not limit it to Norwich or Palace? THFC6061's data set is the best we have because it includes all the available data - why wouldn't you use them when talking about the season as a whole other than to prove a factually incorrect point?

Back