• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: ***The Official AVB Discussion Thread***

I get the feeling that the players are now as confused as him! Information overload maybe?

There might be something in that. DHSF says the players are not playing with any joy and the impression I get is individuality is not encouraged.

I do not want results, I want performances. I want to jump out of my chair a few times during a game.

There might be something in that. DHSF says the players are not playing with any joy and the impression I get is individuality is not encouraged.

I do not want results, I want performances. I want to jump out of my chair a few times during a game.

Me too - for the right reasons!!

If we get the performances, the results will follow. Surely as night follows day. It's the performances that we are missing.

It is a difficult one. You often see AVB giving out instructions to players.

Imagine

your boss gives you some instructions at work.
you carry them out to the best of your ability, but it doesn't work.
your boss has quiet word, suggests you try a bit harder.
you do but it still doesn't work.
your boss suggests you could do better.
you try your very hardest. still doesn't work out.

At what point do you get ****ed off with your boss?

Then your boss puts someone else in your role and gives them the same instructions. With the same results. Then what?

It is a difficult one. You often see AVB giving out instructions to players.

Imagine

your boss gives you some instructions at work.
you carry them out to the best of your ability, but it doesn't work.
your boss has quiet word, suggests you try a bit harder.
you do but it still doesn't work.
your boss suggests you could do better.
you try your very hardest. still doesn't work out.

At what point do you get ****ed off with your boss?

Then your boss puts someone else in your role and gives them the same instructions. With the same results. Then what?

There's a lot of assumptions there

yeah, and everywhere i've worked you get as far as step 6 and you get handed your P45, you're not around to find out if the next person is as incompetent as you are

There's a lot of assumptions there

Well AVB is definitely giving players instructions.
I'd like to think they were trying their hardest to implement them.
And it doesn't seem to be working out so well - otherwise, for example, you might expect a relatively settled team. So not too many assumptions, possibly.

Same problems every week and they do not seem to be addressed. He needs to go. He has had long enough.

Painful viewing tonight. There was so many occasions when they could have played the ball over the top to Soldado or a through ball and they couldn't. Really don't understand what the plan is. I am a staunch Avb fan and want him to succeed but am a Spurs fan before that and whatever is going on at Spurs right now isn't attractive. Hope it changes soon for the sake of us the fans so we can go back to enjoying watching us play the beautiful game.

Well, we're just about to reach the start of a massive week. 3 League games in 7 days. Make or break time for me

I think that (without wishing to state the obvious) the only factor which really counts, is how much the players believe in the manager. And if they don't believe in the manager and stop playing for him, they alone will render the science of stats redundant. I mean, I suppose everyone knows that, but frankly, it's one of the only two factors which really count here (the other being whether the bosses have had enough).

Personally, as I've said a few times recently, he absolutely gets the rest of the season to see where he's taking us before evaluation is concluded. But if he has lost the players, if he has lost the dressing room, then sadly he will have to go. Man Utd will be such a vital game in so many ways, but perhaps the most is we will see who really wants to fight and prove some stuff. As a player, if I don't want this manager around anymore, I know I will escape virtually scot-free with a 3-0 or 3-1 defeat to the the champions AND perhaps push my nemesis towards the door. It is a bit conspiratorial I acknowledge, but not beyond the realms of modern footballer thought. I hope upon hope we don't have that in our dressing room...

Barclay in the Standard tonight said the press had been briefed by an anonymous source on the Spurs board, basically someone trying to serve their own interests. I don't think he is as near to the exit as you have begun to believe. It was insinuated that it wasn't someone at the forefront of the decision making out it that way.

We should know whoever this board member is, because he is a f'in twunt! He is only serving his own interests, destabilising the club and increasing pressure and scrutiny. Whatever people's opinions of AVB it is a f'in low thing to do.

Now would have been a great time to rest all our players.

Exactly, that team out there should have been Friedel + 10 from outside of Sundays matchday squad. Now its look likely that at least 3 maybe even as many as 6, could be doubling up against United

Barclay in the Standard tonight said the press had been briefed by an anonymous source on the Spurs board, basically someone trying to serve their own interests. I don't think he is as near to the exit as you have begun to believe. It was insinuated that it wasn't someone at the forefront of the decision making out it that way.

We should know whoever this board member is, because he is a f'in twunt! He is only serving his own interests, destabilising the club and increasing pressure and scrutiny. Whatever people's opinions of AVB it is a f'in low thing to do.

Owl?

I thought that it was interesting that David Hytner had a more balanced piece in today's Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/27/tottenham-hotspur-andre-villas-boas-tromso

A couple of times I saw Soldado making a decent run that wasn't impossible to hit and in every isntance the player with the ball either had their head down or opted for the easier sideways pass.

On the manager sacking thing. A couple of seasons ago West Ham and West Brom were in the middle of a terrible season, both boards made differing decisions. West Brom opted to sack Di Matteo at Christmas and bring in Roy Hodgson, whilst West Ham stuck with their coach (Avram Grant i believe). Come the end of the season West Brom had climbed out of the relegation scrap, but West Ham sat bottom of the league. So whilst i'm not banging the "sack AVB" drum, I am saying there are instances of improvement. Statistically I have no idea what that means though.

For the statisticians though:

Would you say West Brom are over achieving having played most of the last decade in the lower half of the prem/championship?
Would that be because they missed a season playing in the Championship to establish themselves as a Premier League team?
If so would we then say a similar situation could occur for us whereby the new appointment would coincide with a higher than average win rate?
If said win rate then elevated us to the Champions league we would then have more money and a higher calibre of player. Thus would we not win more?
Would that in the end increase our mean?
Or would we then regress and sit in 5th or lower again?

Just to balance it: I liked our second goal tonight, regardless of who it was against. Holtby threading an eye of the needle pass to Sig (who showed great off the ball movement to come in off the flank) and then nutmegged (just) a player passing the ball into space for Dembele to walk onto and score from. Extra mention to Soldado whose run dragged a defender out of the middle where Dembele eventually shot from. The pass from Holtby was something special though, but we actually broke down a team who packed the box, got midfielders in there to support Soldado and SCORED. This I imagine is how AVB instructs them to play. Lovely bit of interplay showing slick passing and great movement

I think AVB should pick a first 11 and stick with it. It's bad enough we have half of the squad being new and not having experience together, if you swap them every week then you get the result we are looking at now. How can we expect to gel when there are different players on the field all the time ???

Ian Watkins should be forced to watch EVERY single game of our season on repeat for the rest of his life.

Ian Watkins should be forced to watch EVERY single game of our season on repeat for the rest of his life.
What you said, but someone has to wake him up every 5 minutes, sleeping is not allowed, that's only for the fans...

Back