• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

AVB reagrding Lloris missing the game....

"It was nothing to do with the situation at Everton. The goalkeeper stayed out because my medical department advised that he wasn't ready, although he is very short on coming back. If the game was tomorrow, he would have played."

WTF is he talking about? :ross:

confusing or what

When we got bodies in the box they had to retreat to the goal line. That's pressure and mask teams make mistakes

Plying slow sideways and backwards passes invites teams to get organised and defend as a unit and therefore not concede

How many games have we played this season where Soldado has had no one with 10 metres of him is scary but the second half today he got some company and we looked so much better (major oh as Sandro was in)

We do have good players, but we lack tempo and too many of our players are too fond of taking many touches and that won't help our tempo. We have ballplayers in our squad, we have Lamela, Eriksen, Sig, Holtby (and imo Capoue to some extent at least), but we're not getting enough of them on the pitch at the same time imo.

I agree that being a bit bolder would be good. Holtby as a central midfielder for example.

Agreed.

Even if that wasn't the case it would only really be a couple of examples amongst many of teams playing various formations with varying success. I don't think anyone can claim that 4-4-2 has been consistently better for the teams playing that style in recent years.

am not buying into the whole, its the players fault type thing too much, yes they are partially to blame as they are playing out there but i keep tinking about the quality we have versus the team we play against and yet the opposition looks sharper and have more depth in ideas of how to move the ball

sandro does not take to many touches
paulinho for brazil didnt seem to and i have this feeling he doesnt need to either
eriksen as you say is a footballer
holtby
siggy
chadli
lamela
soly
verts

etc etc.

at some point you have to look at whats going on in the coaching a bit more and ask...why the heck are we so laboured?

the more i hear that our players are average the more i hear excuses for AVB. cause these guys are most certainly NOT average IMO

When we got bodies in the box they had to retreat to the goal line. That's pressure and mask teams make mistakes

Plying slow sideways and backwards passes invites teams to get organised and defend as a unit and therefore not concede

How many games have we played this season where Soldado has had no one with 10 metres of him is scary but the second half today he got some company and we looked so much better (major oh as Sandro was in)

agree wit this 1000%

AVB reagrding Lloris missing the game....

"It was nothing to do with the situation at Everton. The goalkeeper stayed out because my medical department advised that he wasn't ready, although he is very short on coming back. If the game was tomorrow, he would have played."

WTF is he talking about? :ross:

dude is a jose impersonator

am not buying into the whole, its the players fault type thing too much, yes they are partially to blame as they are playing out there but i keep tinking about the quality we have versus the team we play against and yet the opposition looks sharper and have more depth in ideas of how to move the ball

sandro does not take to many touches
paulinho for brazil didnt seem to and i have this feeling he doesnt need to either
eriksen as you say is a footballer
holtby
siggy
chadli
lamela
soly
verts

etc etc.

at some point you have to look at whats going on in the coaching a bit more and ask...why the heck are we so laboured?

the more i hear that our players are average the more i hear excuses for AVB. cause these guys are most certainly NOT average IMO

I disagree about Sandro, he's not a quick effective passer to me. Paulinho has potential for sure, but so far hasn't shown himself to be more than an average passer or thereabouts, certainly not one to up our tempo. Yes, Eriksen, Holtby, Siggy, Chadli, Lamela. But of those we've only really had two of them on the pitch at the same time this season. Quick purposeful passing is a team thing, not something you expect one individual to make happen.

It's not an excuse for AVB, he's picking the players.

****ed up again today.

He hasnt got a clue at the moment...

We are 1 win away from 2nd place so he ain't gonna change a thing.

Edit: I have to agree with AVB dissing that bollox from AP about Spurs being tired. We ran around more in the 2nd than the 1st half.

Last edited:

It's a good point though, we see these players in their international teams or previous teams and we know they are all quality and yet here they are looking clueless and laboured. The coaches should be looking at why these players play well when not at Tottenham and bring it into our team. Sig scored goals for fun at Swansea from the middle of the park and we deploy him wide. Eriksen worked in a 433 interchanging with another midfielder so we drop him in as an out and out #10. All these things show players being forced into changing their natural game into something that fits into what AVB wants.

That's the thing he's wayyyy to stubborn to change anything. We'll still continue play this slow paced and excruciating to watch brand of football, he'll still continue picking his favourites regardless of form and we'll still continue to play turbo ****e at home.

Funny thing is i remember the amount of people that moaned and groaned when Arry used to throw on Defoe and go 4-4-2 when things were not going well. AVB on the other hand decides to do it WHILST WE'RE DOMINATING:lol:

I disagree about Sandro, he's not a quick effective passer to me. Paulinho has potential for sure, but so far hasn't shown himself to be more than an average passer or thereabouts, certainly not one to up our tempo. Yes, Eriksen, Holtby, Siggy, Chadli, Lamela. But of those we've only really had two of them on the pitch at the same time this season. Quick purposeful passing is a team thing, not something you expect one individual to make happen.

sandro moves the ball quick, or should i say as quickly as sandro with his level of technical ability can.

remind me please in the next game we have on telly to shout you out, i'll make a bet than in most of sandro's passing the ball leaves his feet in 1 to 3 touches at most. i am that happy with his distribution from that position.

paulinho cant move the ball on fast enough for you? or that he is an average passer

disagree 100%, he doesnt show range but his short range passing is good definately

finally someone that sees the light.

formations dont matter and the players we have now IMO are good enough but the team function is lacking alot and thus we cant break down teams

Edit: I have to agree with AVB dissing that bollox from AP about Spurs being tired. We ran around more in the 2nd than the 1st half.

We wont be a win away after playing the two manchester clubs.

We had to win to get some points today.

We wont be a win away after playing the two manchester clubs.

We had to win to get some points today.

i think City will score at least 3 against us at the etihad...definite loss

Utd at home? I think we might win that one

sandro moves the ball quick, or should i say as quickly as sandro with his level of technical ability can.

remind me please in the next game we have on telly to shout you out, i'll make a bet than in most of sandro's passing the ball leaves his feet in 1 to 3 touches at most. i am that happy with his distribution from that position.

paulinho cant move the ball on fast enough for you? or that he is an average passer

disagree 100%, he doesnt show range but his short range passing is good definately

I think Parker moved the ball a lot with between 1-3 touches too.

Being a good enough passer to up the tempo of a team is about more than that though. It's about finding space to receive a pass, it's about being aware of what's going on around you so that you can make the next pass quickly. It's about having the ability to weight a pass and play it accurately so that the receiver can take the ball in his stride when receiving it.

The number of players we've had on the pitch most of this season that are capable of this has been around 1-2 I would say. No more.

Paulinho's short range passing is alright, good if you will. But he doesn't do enough for our buildup play for me to consider him a quick or effective passer, never mind a purposeful one. He does fine in a team with other players that are capable of setting and maintaining a certain passing tempo, but he doesn't make the difference himself. So far at least.

Consider the other top teams, I think you will find considerably better passers in their central midfield positions.

Edit: Make that a challenge: Look at the top part of the table which teams do you think have central midfielders with a similar passing ability to Sandro, Paulinho and Dembele?

Last edited:

I think Parker moved the ball a lot with between 1-3 touches too.

Being a good enough passer to up the tempo of a team is about more than that though. It's about finding space to receive a pass, it's about being aware of what's going on around you so that you can make the next pass quickly. It's about having the ability to weight a pass and play it accurately so that the receiver can take the ball in his stride when receiving it.

sorry i havent read the whole post but i want to jump on this bit first and foremost before i leave.

you are talking about technical playmakers here, people that can start moves at the base. this is not sandro and common sense should take us the avenue that its sandro's job to get the ball to the playmakers or to people that will find the playmakers

sandro moves the ball quickly is what i was saying, i wasnt talking about changing tempo or dictating play...you wont catch me calling sandro that.

however if what you are saying is that we need a world class player, cause lets face it thats what a good defensive minded and technical incisive passer is these days, just to break down Saudi Sportswashing Machine.....then i still think that means AVB is not nearly as good as his hype. we broke down teams fine under harry with defensive mids.....

i saw the challenge underneath though

city i dont think fernandinho is that much better if at all at releasing players than paulinho

i wouldnt say that ramires is that much better at passing either than paulinho, he just gets on with it

these teams have better passers for sure, but that doesnt take away from the glaring problem that we have better players than the guys we cant even beat properly. i really couldnt care less if they are top class passers...it would be nice to have top class passers through out the team but hey, maybe we get top 4 first then we can go for these guys....we really need to bottle feed AVB that every single little itty bitty thing needs to be top quality just to get a consistent display of urgency and show some superiority? no

again put it simply, if wenger was here that ball moves around better almost overnight with these players we should be much better at moving the ball against Saudi Sportswashing Machine..simple as that really

i'll give you the fact that the top teams have better movers though

sorry i havent read the whole post but i want to jump on this bit first and foremost before i leave.

you are talking about technical playmakers here, people that can start moves at the base. this is not sandro and common sense should take us the avenue that its sandro's job to get the ball to the playmakers or to people that will find the playmakers

sandro moves the ball quickly is what i was saying, i wasnt talking about changing tempo or dictating play...you wont catch me calling sandro that.

however if what you are saying is that we need a world class player, cause lets face it thats what a good defensive minded and technical incisive passer is these days, just to break down Saudi Sportswashing Machine.....then i still think that means AVB is not nearly as good as his hype. we broke down teams fine under harry with defensive mids.....

i saw the challenge underneath though

city i dont think fernandinho is that much better if at all at releasing players than paulinho

i wouldnt say that ramires is that much better at passing either than paulinho, he just gets on with it

these teams have better passers for sure, but that doesnt take away from the glaring problem that we have better players than the guys we cant even beat properly. i really couldnt care less if they are top class passers...it would be nice to have top class passers through out the team but hey, maybe we get top 4 first then we can go for these guys....we really need to bottle feed AVB that every single little itty bitty thing needs to be top quality just to get a consistent display of urgency and show some superiority? no

again put it simply, if wenger was here that ball moves around better almost overnight with these players we should be much better at moving the ball against Saudi Sportswashing Machine..simple as that really

i'll give you the fact that the top teams have better movers though

You mention individuals at other teams that aren't much better than Paulinho (assuming he's the one you rate highest of our bunch in that position). And no, I wasn't accusing you of calling Sandro a playmaker. But when you end up comparing our best passer to other top team's worst who is our playmaker?

Smaller teams that move the ball better? Like Saudi Sportswashing Machine who have Cabaye? Yeah, he's a better playmaker than any of our central midfielders.

We obviously play without such a playmaker, that demands even more from every individual in the team as a whole and so far they haven't been able to step it up. Of course one option is a tall and powerful striker to give us the direct option, we don't have that though (at least not until Ade is back or January rolls around). For us to step up I think we need more of those proper ball players that we have in our team on the pitch at the same time.

When Wenger lost Fabregas he signed Arteta, a replacement player with similar skills. Another playmaker. Their results and their play suffered significantly he he was injured last season. It's not just a result of who the manager is, it's about the players he signs and plays. Would Wenger get players like Townsend, Sandro and Dembele to release the ball quicker? Or would he just not sign/play those players?

I'm not saying one approach is better than another, Wenger's way is his way and we don't have to go down the same route. However, and particularly since we're lacking the direct route option, I'm not convinced the desired passing tempo will result from the current team selections we're seeing.

Back