• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

when Wenger first walked in at Arsanal, he almost instantly managed to get them playing pass and move football and they didnt have a playmaker.

with a midfield of Vieira, Petit, Overmaars and Parlour, and Bergkamp plus Wright and Anelka in attack, they played brilliant football and won the league. All the players passed the ball well, they could keep the ball at will and also play quick counter attacking football

shows what good coaching can do, and it doesnt have to take a long time to implement a philosophy.

when Wenger first walked in at Arsanal, he almost instantly managed to get them playing pass and move football and they didnt have a playmaker.

with a midfield of Vieira, Petit, Overmaars and Parlour, and Bergkamp plus Wright and Anelka in attack, they played brilliant football and won the league. All the players passed the ball well, they could keep the ball at will and also play quick counter attacking football

shows what good coaching can do, and it doesnt have to take a long time to implement a philosophy.

Same with Rodgers, Laudrup and Potchtino. And they dint spend £120m plus.

did they sell £100m+ ?

Don't get it with Laudrup either, he simply inherited Rodgers' Swansea side (who were already playing good football) and has somehow made them worse.

AVB reagrding Lloris missing the game....

"It was nothing to do with the situation at Everton. The goalkeeper stayed out because my medical department advised that he wasn't ready, although he is very short on coming back. If the game was tomorrow, he would have played."

WTF is he talking about? :ross:

Making zero sense:)

did they sell £100m+ ?

Don't get it with Laudrup either, he simply inherited Rodgers' Swansea side (who were already playing good football) and has somehow made them worse.

curse of the league cup win for Swansea....up until then they were superb, they win the cup and then become pathetic for the rest of the season and they have continued the poor form this season

same happened with us and Ramos

also didnt Birmingham win it and then went on a poor run in the league and ended up being relegated?

still, im not a big fan of Laudrup and ive heard he isnt much of a training ground coach.

did they sell £100m+ ?

Don't get it with Laudrup either,he simply inherited Rodgers' Swansea side (who were already playing good football) and has somehow made them worse.

So buying Micu and winning the League Cup somehow made them worse!

curse of the league cup win for Swansea....up until then they were superb, they win the cup and then become pathetic for the rest of the season and they have continued the poor form this season

same happened with us and Ramos

also didnt Birmingham win it and then went on a poor run in the league and ended up being relegated?

still, im not a big fan of Laudrup and ive heard he isnt much of a training ground coach.

they were okay. 4 wins in their opening 13 league games last season. I think some results make him seem better than he is, like beating Arsenal 2-0 at Emirates etc. but I don't think he's done all that. Like you say, even Alex McCleish has won a Carling Cup, with Birmingham too.

So buying Micu and winning the League Cup somehow made them worse!

We won a league cup and signed Modric yet Ramos made us look worse.

I thought they played MUCH better football under Rodgers and looked a threat. I actually think Swansea will be in a relegation fight this season.

We had 31 attempts on goal today, 14 of which were on target. A total of 36 crosses were put in and most of them were not met by anyone. We absolutely pummeled them in the 2nd half, just a shame we were half asleep in the 1st, but don't let the facts get in the way of the anti-AVB rants some of you've been dying to make though.

Sure, there were a few mistakes made, but some of the stuff I've read is just baffling. Not necessarily mistakes either, but little things that in retrospect could have been done differently. People slating players that did okay, while praising others that were poor. Never seen so many agendas. People moaning over things they've just made up.

Pochethino had a net spend of £32m. Swansea and Liverpool had around a £20m net spend. For Liverpool that followed a £50m net spend last season. Although to their credit Swansea made a £10m profit last summer. Southampton spent slightly more in their first season back although obviously not under Pochetino, does illustrate that their squad wasn't only made up of Championship players though.

As I'm sure you're aware we've been close to break even both of AVB's seasons so far.

I'm not saying that net spend it a perfect description of what has been going on and what the managers have had to work with, but I think it's much more informative than just the money spent.

If you disagree feel free to present some argumentation supporting your side. I see this "he has spent" comment pop up again and again on here, but I haven't seen anyone try to support that this is a better description of reality than a net spend number.

Think Brum were in the relegation battle before they won the league cup. As for Laudrup and Swansea, they have little depth and are suffering for it. Adkins had Southampton playing good football before he was sacked, Potchtino has taken them on some.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and be controversial. Is the problem due to our manager never having played at a top level?? I'm not saying all great coaches were great players, but the majority have played at a high level. They have seen things with a players eye and used some of their experiences to mould their team. People always talk about teams reflecting their managers philosophy as a player, maybe we are disjointed because our manager never played a match at a high level?

Think Brum were in the relegation battle before they won the league cup. As for Laudrup and Swansea, they have little depth and are suffering for it. Adkins had Southampton playing good football before he was sacked, Potchtino has taken them on some.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and be controversial. Is the problem due to our manager never having played at a top level?? I'm not saying all great coaches were great players, but the majority have played at a high level. They have seen things with a players eye and used some of their experiences to mould their team. People always talk about teams reflecting their managers philosophy as a player, maybe we are disjointed because our manager never played a match at a high level?

Bro sorry but, I cannot help reading your name as C+ck Cheese :D, Apologies...

With Rodgers and Liverpool it has taken time, the other two inherited sides playing a style not too dissimilar to what they want.

did Mourinho ever play at top level?

1. AVB is not in charge of transfers

2. We have spent what we've made from transfers. One out, one in.

In terms of cash, yes. But not in terms of players... We lost one, bought ten...

If AVB is not in charge of transfers, surely he has a word to say, unless of course the club is not run properly and the manager gets players he doesnt really want... Looking at Lamela on the bench that really wouldnt surprise me!

We had 31 attempts on goal today, 14 of which were on target. A total of 36 crosses were put in and most of them were not met by anyone. We absolutely pummeled them in the 2nd half, just a shame we were half asleep in the 1st, but don't let the facts get in the way of the anti-AVB rants some of you've been dying to make though.

Sure, there were a few mistakes made, but some of the stuff I've read is just baffling. Not necessarily mistakes either, but little things that in retrospect could have been done differently. People slating players that did okay, while praising others that were poor. Never seen so many agendas. People moaning over things they've just made up.

wow.

In terms of cash, yes. But not in terms of players... We lost one, bought ten...

If AVB is not in charge of transfers, surely he has a word to say, unless of course the club is not run properly and the manager gets players he doesnt really want... Looking at Lamela on the bench that really wouldnt surprise me!

AVB isn't our manager, he's the head coach. Running the club properly actually means he has little say on who gets bought other than what positions need strengthening. Of course, it would be silly to buy player he doesn't want.

Lost one? Gallas, Huddlestone, Parker, Livermore, Caulker, Dempsey and Ekotto all played big parts last year.

AVB isn't our manager, he's the head coach. Running the club properly actually means he has little say on who gets bought other than what positions need strengthening. Of course, it would be silly to buy player he doesn't want.

Lost one? Gallas, Huddlestone, Parker, Livermore, Caulker, Dempsey and Ekotto all played big parts last year.

Talking about that, all summer I said we needed a new keeper, new CB's, new left backs. Look at the mess now.

Not properly run this club.

Back