• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

As I've said since the beginning of the season I don't think AVB knows what his best side is, or who the best players are for the positions he wants to play.
In a 4-2-3-1 the #10 position is crucial. So far we have played Holtby, Eriksen and Siggy there (and Dembele?). And supposedly Lamela is a #10 by preference as well. Why have we bought four players who prefer to play in the same position? Which one does AVB think is best there? I couldn't tell you -I doubt the players could either.

What about defensive midfield. There we have played Holtby, Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue. Which is AVB's preferred combination? And if it is Sandro/Paulinho where does he expect the creativity to come from?

Wide left we have Lennon, Chadli, Siggy, Andros and Lamela at various points (even Holtby?).

It is a bit of a mess. Right now it seems only Walker, Soldado, and Lloris (possibly Andros) definitely know where they are playing week in week out. That's no way to build a pattern of play, or a team understanding. We want a team where most of the players are playing in their preferred position, and who have been bought to play there with a style of play in mind.

[I also think the idea of solely defensive midfielders is outdated. Yes the two DMs need to tackle and get the ball back, they might feel most comfortable in that mindset, but they need to be capable of getting forward, linking up play and scoring as well.]

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Sunday 4pm kickoffs do not help the atmosphere one bit. Slightly better when it's 4pm and on tv, but when you lose a Sunday game you feel completely dejected, don't wanna do anything when you get home, don't want to go to work the next day.

Well our next 4 games are:

- Everton (A); AVB has never won against Martinez or away at Goodison (though we haven't as a club since 2007)
- Saudi Sportswashing Machine (H)
- Emirates Marketing Project (A); We've a poor recent record at the Etihad and City score gaols there for fun
- Man Utd (H); Nothing more to say

We'll soon find out where AVB and this team is going...need to see the clips of his comments but if they are as I've heard about the lack of support from the crowd, then he may have put unnecessary pressure on himself and the club (which the Gooner and Manure sections of the media will no doubt pounce upon...)

Honesty the way we were set up today we would be better off playing one of the 3 matches above.
We can win the ball back quickly with our high line and ball winners in midfield and then counter with pace with Townsend and Lennon.

Honesty the way we were set up today we would be better off playing one of the 3 matches above.
We can win the ball back quickly with our high line and ball winners in midfield and then counter with pace with Townsend and Lennon.

Maybe some of the thinking behind today's selection was to get these players together in the same lineup, preparing them for those games ahead? (where we can actually play on the break). Probably not, just thought I'd throw that out!

Ok so the title of this thread is AVB making tottenham his own- right now what does that actually mean? Its clear some of the fans dont like the style the team are currently playin, even for the fact that the team are still gelling.

One question though do we really know what AVBs style is? Is he really a master tactician or master coach or master scout or any of these things at all?

On the evidence of this season and last he does not appear to be a tactical genius, his subs rarely make a difference and his reading of the game seems slow.

As a coach his style of play is slow and predictable it seems, but is that down to not having the right players for his tactics?

Is he even a good man manager? He and bale got on well for all the good it did. But the whole ade thing could be handled bettr.

Im not here having a go for the sake of it what i would like is an object view of the man by those who know how he has managed before and what we can honestly expect once the team settle down and gel.

His subs leave a lot to be desired. Away from home he gets it right tactically more often than not, at home it's the complete opposite.

I like his integrity and I really want him to succeed, but I don't think he's quite as good a manager as some Spurs fans would have you believe.

Maybe some of the thinking behind today's selection was to get these players together in the same lineup, preparing them for those games ahead? (where we can actually play on the break). Probably not, just thought I'd throw that out!

No you're 100% right. But we have one system and it's a system for big teams away. AVB thinks we should beat the other teams regardless of a suitable system it seems.

It reminds me of the way Liverpool under Benitez would always cause huge problems for the other big sides especially over 2 legs.

edit. just had a thought that this is something teams usually do in uncompetitive leagues like Portugal. You play a system designed to bet your rivals and teams in Europe and then you roll over the lesser teams in your league almost as an afterthought.

Last edited:

Not sure re the comments of people not knowing what AVB is trying to do, seems relatively obvious, maybe not explainable is some pundit style 4-4-1-1 stupidity, but in an overall tactics way

- We hold possession and win back possession quickly (so far works, stats generally show it)
- We try to hold that possession as high up the pitch as possible (again, works, think we have the most possession in the other teams half in the PL)
- Physically strong team, with good technical skills
- Poacher type strikers who finish chances
- Very strong spine of team
- Tactically cautious, often tire opponents down, make them chase possession

For me, it's obvious AVB tried to build on last year's team by aiming at getting depth in the center midfield (i.e. not so reliant on Sandro/Dembele) and adding a pure finisher to put away the dozens of chances we failed to convert (i.e. Soldado)

The problem so far this year, is as a whole the 3 comprising of the two wide midfielders and the midfielder behind Soldado (Lennon/Townsend/Siggy/Holtby/Eriksen) haven't really clicked, that simple. Is it the combinations, is it tactics, is it just time? don't know. Fact is people complain about Soldado and our scoring, the guy really doesn't get enough chances, if he got half of what JD/Ade got last season, think we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Re the people who "want to be entertained", go watch the cup games. Pure entertainment, just go for it, is for the promoted sides who have zero shot at anything, including likely survival. No big club or club with major ambition plays completely all out, too much risk and you would be the same *******s who if we have 44 shots at goal and Hull had mugged us on a set piece would be bitching about something else.

Not sure re the comments of people not knowing what AVB is trying to do, seems relatively obvious, maybe not explainable is some pundit style 4-4-1-1 stupidity, but in an overall tactics way

- We hold possession and win back possession quickly (so far works, stats generally show it)
- We try to hold that possession as high up the pitch as possible (again, works, think we have the most possession in the other teams half in the PL)
- Physically strong team, with good technical skills
- Poacher type strikers who finish chances
- Very strong spine of team
- Tactically cautious, often tire opponents down, make them chase possession

For me, it's obvious AVB tried to build on last year's team by aiming at getting depth in the center midfield (i.e. not so reliant on Sandro/Dembele) and adding a pure finisher to put away the dozens of chances we failed to convert (i.e. Soldado)

The problem so far this year, is as a whole the 3 comprising of the two wide midfielders and the midfielder behind Soldado (Lennon/Townsend/Siggy/Holtby/Eriksen) haven't really clicked, that simple. Is it the combinations, is it tactics, is it just time? don't know. Fact is people complain about Soldado and our scoring, the guy really doesn't get enough chances, if he got half of what JD/Ade got last season, think we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Re the people who "want to be entertained", go watch the cup games. Pure entertainment, just go for it, is for the promoted sides who have zero shot at anything, including likely survival. No big club or club with major ambition plays completely all out, too much risk and you would be the same *******s who if we have 44 shots at goal and Hull had mugged us on a set piece would be bitching about something else.

I really don't think people are complaining about Soldado though? They recognise that the problem lies in the fact that he isn't getting the chances. That is where the criticism is coming from, our misfiring and slow midfield play.

Without doubt and its frustrating when the criticisms come regardless of your previous support for AVB or different players.

I said in the match thread I don't like the extreme views that more and more people are taking. For some, there is nothing but doom and gloom. Our clean sheets and best ever PL start doesn't register. For others, the very worrying lack of goals and coherent attacking play are not things to be concerned about apparently. Registering less shots from within the box than a Hull side with 7 injuries playing away is also apparently not a real problem.

I don't understand why criticisms seem to either be taken personally or not seen as a discussion that AVB and the coaches need to be having?

I agree with you mate, however unfortunately, it comes down to the context (and perspective) with which people read what's posted. In my case, I guarantee that some people will hammer me for my 'protection' of 'my man' AVB with regards to some of my posts, whilst ignoring the fact that I have (like most people) been critical of what happened yesterday and how he seemed again to get his selection wrong.

Steff thanks for that- so where is it going wrong in what AVB is trying to get the team to play like because soldado is starved of chances and it doesnt seem like he kniws his best team. Do we not have the players to play his style and if not shouldnt he be more flexible in his style?

We still dont have a deep lying play maker in the mould of a Moutinho, or a recycler like modric so jnless wr drop holtby into cm we will struggle to play how AVB wants us to play.

We have a team of athletes that are better suited to playing a quicker more direct style of play, and firgive me if yhis sounds trite but it does not take a genius to work that out. And this is the issue for me with AVB.

By all means play cautiously away from home against the top clubs but at home against weaker opponents who will sit back AVB needs to show he has a plan b.

Steff thanks for that- so where is it going wrong in what AVB is trying to get the team to play like because soldado is starved of chances and it doesnt seem like he kniws his best team. Do we not have the players to play his style and if not shouldnt he be more flexible in his style?

We still dont have a deep lying play maker in the mould of a Moutinho, or a recycler like modric so jnless wr drop holtby into cm we will struggle to play how AVB wants us to play.

We have a team of athletes that are better suited to playing a quicker more direct style of play, and firgive me if yhis sounds trite but it does not take a genius to work that out. And this is the issue for me with AVB.

By all means play cautiously away from home against the top clubs but at home against weaker opponents who will sit back AVB needs to show he has a plan b.

I don't think any manager of any team in any league in the world knows what their best 11 is (except those that only have 11 fit players).

Form and fitness will both vary for players. As they do, a manger will have to react by changing his first 11 to suit - as AVB has for us.

Eriksen plays poorly - Holtby gets a start, Sandro isn't fully fit - Dembele gets a start, Chiriches is being eased in to a new league/team - Verts plays in the middle, etc.

That isn't not knowing what your best 11 is, that's choosing your best 11 based on current circumstances. I'll bet my house on the fact that AVB can tell you who he thinks our best 11 are when all are fit and on form, but how often are your whole first team in that state?

Granted but AVB inherited that 57.87% team and added £100m of players to it. Add to that we got let of the hook by Bales great season.

I think you'll find that the 100 mil worth of signings were made one whole season after AVB 'Inherited' that 57% team (which was minus arguably it's 3 most important players btw) so the lionshare of that record will be prior to their arrival.

avb is young and well, has his faults too.

I'd argue all managers have their faults and need to learn. Harry quite obviously imo, took a while to learn how to deal with quality subs (years of experience with barely 11 good players).

Big issue that people seem to miss is, football isn't math, it doesn't always add up like it should.

- Last year, we created a lot of chances that our strikers failed to put away.
- Last year, we looked very strong in midfield when Sandro/Dembele were available, less so after Sandro's injury
- Last year we lacked a bit of creativity out of CM
- Last year we created goals out of nothing via Bale (mostly individual)

AVB goes out and

- Gets a brilliant poacher style striker, a guy that puts away chances
- Adds Paulinho/Capoue to the center midfield options
- Adds Eriksen to the Holtby acquisition
- Bought player like Lamela/Chandli that can add to the goals.

It's all logical, the team holds possession well, is hard to beat, just not quite clicking in final ball yet.

It's the we are 4th, lots of clean sheets, but not playing our best yet ....

I'd argue all managers have their faults and need to learn. Harry quite obviously imo, took a while to learn how to deal with quality subs (years of experience with barely 11 good players).

Big issue that people seem to miss is, football isn't math, it doesn't always add up like it should.

- Last year, we created a lot of chances that our strikers failed to put away.
- Last year, we looked very strong in midfield when Sandro/Dembele were available, less so after Sandro's injury
- Last year we lacked a bit of creativity out of CM
- Last year we created goals out of nothing via Bale (mostly individual)

AVB goes out and

- Gets a brilliant poacher style striker, a guy that puts away chances
- Adds Paulinho/Capoue to the center midfield options
- Adds Eriksen to the Holtby acquisition
- Bought player like Lamela/Chandli that can add to the goals.

It's all logical, the team holds possession well, is hard to beat, just not quite clicking in final ball yet.

It's the we are 4th, lots of clean sheets, but not playing our best yet ....

Funny you should say that, but I was thinking yesterday that AVB has quite a Moneyball approach to the game. (Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball)

So, if X% possession means you win Y% of games, a Moneyballer would aim for that possession stat and let the wins follow. Or, if you have N shots on target in a game, however they come, you will score enough on aggregate over time to win. This kind of thinking would inform, say, the purchase decision of a Soldado type No. 9 over a Berbatov type - again on the basis of the number of times the ball gets into the box and leads to a goal v. different ways of scoring.

I do think AVB goes in for that kind of philosophy, and it is kinda mathematical.

Funny you should say that, but I was thinking yesterday that AVB has quite a Moneyball approach to the game. (Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball)

So, if X% possession means you win Y% of games, a Moneyballer would aim for that possession stat and let the wins follow. Or, if you have N shots on target in a game, however they come, you will score enough on aggregate over time to win. This kind of thinking would inform, say, the purchase decision of a Soldado type No. 9 over a Berbatov type - again on the basis of the number of times the ball gets into the box and leads to a goal v. different ways of scoring.

I do think AVB goes in for that kind of philosophy, and it is kinda mathematical.

I agree, it's almost exactly where he is going.

Fans have to give it time however, the football not math part is the time it takes for things to work, in math it's immediate, it football, not always so.

Granted but AVB inherited that 57.87% team and added £100m of players to it. Add to that we got let of the hook by Bales great season.

They are very good debating points. This is his first ever :eek: second season at any football club as a manager.

I have faith in the guy but the crowd thing makes me think twice.

He comes out a lot with number of shots per game. He has talked nonsensense like a few of us.

He will bring us success. I have absolute confidence in that. But I do not want any more WHU/Hull performances.

Back