• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

The concerning thing about AVB is that will still don't appear to have an identity with regards the way we play. Watching Liverpool and Southampton does make you question him a bit, both of those teams have exciting, identifiable playing styles whilst we still appear to be a mish mash of nothingness most of the time.

He inherited a much better squad than Rogers, and has much more at his disposal and has had longer than Pochettino.

I said I thought we'd come 8th at the start of the season, and I don't think that'll be too far off.

The thing is some will say it will take time - then you look at Southampton who actually look far more accomplished and joined up than we do - which makes you question whether AVB is just over complicating things with his tactics. I dont know so it can be an assumption but we all know he thinks a great deal about the game and sometimes too much is counter productive.

I bet he is a control freak (no bad thing as im very much like that too) and he wants to have the players like puppets i.e. control every single movement and he does that by training them to do so but like I say it doesnt allow the freedom of movement hence the disjointed and sometimes mechanical approach which is evident.

I think he needs to just loosen the puppet strings a bit

The thing is some will say it will take time - then you look at Southampton who actually look far more accomplished and joined up than we do - which makes you question whether AVB is just over complicating things with his tactics. I dont know so it can be an assumption but we all know he thinks a great deal about the game and sometimes too much is counter productive.

I bet he is a control freak (no bad thing as im very much like that too) and he wants to have the players like puppets i.e. control every single movement and he does that by training them to do so but like I say it doesnt allow the freedom of movement hence the disjointed and sometimes mechanical approach which is evident.

I think he needs to just loosen the puppet strings a bit

Hmmm...would it be fair to ask if he's too similar to Rafa Benitez?8-[

Hmmm...would it be fair to ask if he's too similar to Rafa Benitez?8-[

You can argue that to be the case yeah - im not so sure bu tthey were fairly successful - so you can argue that wouldnt be too bad a thing.

I just see Liverscum and Southampton (im using those two as AVB has been at Spurs as long as BR has been at Liverscum and more than Pochetino at Southampton), theyre playing with freedom and so much more movement and I guess thats down to the Manager allowing them to do so. Whereas with AVB im sure its he who is telling the players where to run and how to run hence players looking so hesitant which impacts adversely on the fluidity and verve of our play.

Anyone else think he could get the sack if we do not finish top 4 this season? Levy obviously wants us to play a certain style throughout the entire club and we are famous for playing the "Tottenham way" but our current football really is boring, me and the missus fell alseep watching last nights game.

I think we should give him atleast 1 more season even if we don't finish in top 4 this season. We have invested so much money on new players this season. I think we will only see the real worth of some like Lamela next season.

The concerning thing about AVB is that will still don't appear to have an identity with regards the way we play. Watching Liverpool and Southampton does make you question him a bit, both of those teams have exciting, identifiable playing styles whilst we still appear to be a mish mash of nothingness most of the time.

He inherited a much better squad than Rogers, and has much more at his disposal and has had longer than Pochettino.

I said I thought we'd come 8th at the start of the season, and I don't think that'll be too far off.

well put. really hope it works out for us though.

Some very good points made by you guys above.
AVB will not be Spurs manager next season if we do not get top 4. Good comparisons made with Soton and Liverpool. We have much better players yet they play football more pleasing on the eye and they have what CC called a "focus" up front which Soldado is not yet.
I would be thoroughly delighted to win the rest of our games 1-0....:-k[-o<

Some very good points made by you guys above.
AVB will not be Spurs manager next season if we do not get top 4. Good comparisons made with Soton and Liverpool. We have much better players yet they play football more pleasing on the eye and they have what CC called a "focus" up front which Soldado is not yet.
I would be thoroughly delighted to win the rest of our games 1-0....:-k[-o<

Honestly that's the only way I can see him being Tottenham manager next season. I think if he gets into the CL it will be mission accomplished and he'll be off to the first rich club that comes calling.

Said it before but should the unthinkable happen would love us to go for pochettino.

Like it or not avb i think is a little overhyped, as mentioned above the team has no discernable identity crtainly not one that will be remebered in the annals of history. That others have been able to achieve more in less time with less resources speaks for itself. Dont get me wrong i like the man just think he has a long way to go as a msnager but i dont think it will be at spurs unfortunately.

Said it before but should the unthinkable happen would love us to go for pochettino.

Like it or not avb i think is a little overhyped, as mentioned above the team has no discernable identity crtainly not one that will be remebered in the annals of history. That others have been able to achieve more in less time with less resources speaks for itself. Dont get me wrong i like the man just think he has a long way to go as a msnager but i dont think it will be at spurs unfortunately.

I suspect he will be excellent in five years time. The problem is we wont reap those benefits in five years time cos he will either have failed and fired or walkeor gone to another club. Then again who knows what the future holds for either party.

I was speaking to my brother last night about how i think Pochettino will be the next Spurs manager.

That's what I've been thinking for a while now. He's not an entirely proven manager yet, but the signs are good. We definitely need to go for someone with a similar tactical approach as AVB to minimize the changes needed.

did you guys see the mourinho interview before the game with Emirates Marketing Project?
basically he said that chelsea is still looking for a new identity and therefore can't make too many changes to the gameplan.
i think avb's in the same boat... he's done well to bring through a lot of players, but as highlighted - our game seems to be stuck at midfield, its the final push to get the last mile going.

Haven't been here for ages as I detested the "debates" that were happening, popped on, first thread was this one... **** ME SIDEWAYS!!!! I'm sorry, but if ind the negativity about us and AVB absolutely ridiculous and think people are just utterly clueless. Happens all the time; this managers better than ours, this one than ours blah blah blah blah BULL****!! Liverpool are looking pretty good, but they are in no other competition whatsoever and can rest and prepare for each game; plus they have a much more settled side. WE LOST OUR BEST MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER LAST SEASON; we lose the three most important the season before that. Things take time. We are in all competitions. Plus we don;t have Suarez. As for latest flavour of the month, I have so much pity inside me when people say pochettino should be our next manager and better than AVB. Honestly. Every time a player or manager does something really good in a short space of time everyone piles in on the bandwagon and wants what other teams have. Same was said for Laudrup last season when they had an incredible start. Southampton will be lucky to finish top 10, let's see who would want him then... Just painful coming in here when we're 4th in the league, best start to a premiership season, looking good in the two cups and bedding in a load of new players... I'm sorry to the people who still enjoy coming here, but this place is terrible to what it used to be a couple of years ago.

Haven't been here for ages as I detested the "debates" that were happening, popped on, first thread was this one... **** ME SIDEWAYS!!!! I'm sorry, but if ind the negativity about us and AVB absolutely ridiculous and think people are just utterly clueless. Happens all the time; this managers better than ours, this one than ours blah blah blah blah BULL****!! Liverpool are looking pretty good, but they are in no other competition whatsoever and can rest and prepare for each game; plus they have a much more settled side. WE LOST OUR BEST MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER LAST SEASON; we lose the three most important the season before that. Things take time. We are in all competitions. Plus we don;t have Suarez. As for latest flavour of the month, I have so much pity inside me when people say pochettino should be our next manager and better than AVB. Honestly. Every time a player or manager does something really good in a short space of time everyone piles in on the bandwagon and wants what other teams have. Same was said for Laudrup last season when they had an incredible start. Southampton will be lucky to finish top 10, let's see who would want him then... Just painful coming in here when we're 4th in the league, best start to a premiership season, looking good in the two cups and bedding in a load of new players... I'm sorry to the people who still enjoy coming here, but this place is terrible to what it used to be a couple of years ago.

+1

=D> well done, I've had a few blasts at posters in recent weeks and it just depresses me a bit, very frustrating place here sometimes. Sounds like the negativity getting to the stands as well which is disappointing, AVB quite right to have a pop today.

did you guys see the mourinho interview before the game with Emirates Marketing Project?
basically he said that chelsea is still looking for a new identity and therefore can't make too many changes to the gameplan.
i think avb's in the same boat... he's done well to bring through a lot of players, but as highlighted - our game seems to be stuck at midfield, its the final push to get the last mile going.

The game is stuck in midfield because he plays 2 out of Capoue, Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho? They're not exactly Xavi and Inestia.

The game is stuck in midfield because he plays 2 out of Capoue, Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho? They're not exactly Xavi and Inestia.

Well no, but that's a bit silly as there is only one Xavi and one Iniesta.

I highly doubt they could be persuaded to come and play for us.

Yep. the problem with these four is that they're all very very slow at using the ball. It means that defences have plenty of time to organise themselves. Until we get a CM who can play one touch passes and keep the ball moving quickly, we need to play Eriksen ahead of the two CMs as he's the best quick passer who we have

Nope. Youre the one jumping the gun the same way people are jumping to conclusions that others want AVB out. No one (that I can recall) has said such a thing.

I think we all acknowledge that it takes time but if the issues continue to recur and theyre not being improved upon- it deserves pointing out. Only a minority are slating results so the whole 'we are top four' etc doesnt work for me. Base the arguments on the performance so that everyone can argue the same point. Most are arguing but on two entirely different points.

I didnt go today but am an ST Holder and will go next home game but barring one or two games, the past season and a bit at WHL has been poor... which transfers to fans and vice versa (its a catch 22 situation). So I would accept AVBs criticisms but then he has gotta accept the fans criticisms. Criticism is not always a negative - what is it with people and jumping the gun. I get criticised at work I use it to further develop and hone my abilities and have done hence I am where I am. Dont Managers always say - 'we want to improve'? hell... hasnt AVB even said that?

Nope. Youre the one jumping the gun the same way people are jumping to conclusions that others want AVB out. No one (that I can recall) has said such a thing.

I think we all acknowledge that it takes time but if the issues continue to recur and theyre not being improved upon- it deserves pointing out. Only a minority are slating results so the whole 'we are top four' etc doesnt work for me. Base the arguments on the performance so that everyone can argue the same point. Most are arguing but on two entirely different points.

I didnt go today but am an ST Holder and will go next home game but barring one or two games, the past season and a bit at WHL has been poor... which transfers to fans and vice versa (its a catch 22 situation). So I would accept AVBs criticisms but then he has gotta accept the fans criticisms. Criticism is not always a negative - what is it with people and jumping the gun. I get criticised at work I use it to further develop and hone my abilities and have done hence I am where I am. Dont Managers always say - 'we want to improve'? hell... hasnt AVB even said that?

There was one today.

Back