• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

i think AVB is constantly analysing everything, including himself

and the fans.

nothing wrong for him to request that the fans get behind the team especially during a delicate time of their development. maybe its because English isn't his preferred language so it doesn't come out sounding right, but I think he is pleading for the fans for understanding and support.

The suggestion AVB is unwilling or unable to admit shortcomings in his own performance does not stand up to the evidence. Already this season he has accepted fault, as he did on occasion last season. And I watched his last Chelsea press conference recently and was surprised at how willing he was to admit his own mistakes on that occasion too, which is unusual in those end-of-tenure moments. He was gone the next day.

There is a difference between accepting fault and doing something about it or not doing anything at all. As there has been no improvement in terms of the performances against these teams - you do have to wonder what he has changed after admitting those faults?

I think AVB is stubborn, I could well be wrong about that though.

There is a difference between accepting fault and doing something about it or not doing anything at all. As there has been no improvement in terms of the performances against these teams - you do have to wonder what he has changed after admitting those faults?

I think AVB is stubborn, I could well be wrong about that though.

What like wanting to sell Daswon then reinstating him and admitting he had been proved wrong?

and the fans.

nothing wrong for him to request that the fans get behind the team especially during a delicate time of their development. maybe its because English isn't his preferred language so it doesn't come out sounding right, but I think he is pleading for the fans for understanding and support.

He speaks better English than any British manager in the league. Remember his nan is from Cheshire and he has been bi-, probably multi-, lingual since childhood. He's a smart guy and meant exactly what he said.

"We realise we have to be better, we have to create more situations..."

I presume 'he' is part of the 'we'...

As long as he knows that he is part of the "we" , and, more importantly does something about it.

It is interesting the way AVB chose to address the crowd issue.

He could have said something along the lines of... we have great supporters at the club, we really need them to get behind the team at all times and make themselves heard, the team really appreciate it when we are singing, it motivates them to perform better. And maybe referring to a couple of specific occasions home or away where that has happened.

By stating it in negative terms he has just provoked a debate about whether or not he is justified, whether it is the style of football etc etc, which is divisive rather than unifying.

I wonder if he approaches the players in the same way in terms of their performance? How does he talk to players when he is trying to get them to perform better -is he inclined to point out their negatives, or emphasise the positives?

It is interesting the way AVB chose to address the crowd issue.

He could have said something along the lines of... we have great supporters at the club, we really need them to get behind the team at all times and make themselves heard, the team really appreciate it when we are singing, it motivates them to perform better. And maybe referring to a couple of specific occasions home or away where that has happened.

By stating it in negative terms he has just provoked a debate about whether or not he is justified, whether it is the style of football etc etc, which is divisive rather than unifying.

I wonder if he approaches the players in the same way in terms of their performance? How does he talk to players when he is trying to get them to perform better -is he inclined to point out their negatives, or emphasise the positives?

That would have been blowing smoke up supporters' asses. The way he did it, he has elicited positive feedback from Trust and real debate among fans. Might have been past time someone said it straight.

I think one of AVB's defining characteristics is his straightness. Yes, he fibs to hacks, but if you see him interacting with people he always looks them right in the eye.

I think that it was a calculated intervention which, judging by the response from the trust and the club, had been cleared in advance.

I also think that by voicing the players concerns in public and putting his neck on the line, he may have helped pull the squad closer together and create a siege mentality.

I think that it was a calculated intervention which, judging by the response from the trust and the club, had been cleared in advance.

I also think that by voicing the players concerns in public and putting his neck on the line, he may have helped pull the squad closer together and create a siege mentality.

That is an interesting perspective. I wonder if that was the case. Shows how much difference supporters can make.
Also interesting that the Trust came out with a statement re the use of "yid" and its effect on chanting/singing (or is that what you meant). So maybe this is some collective strategy playing out on another level.

What like wanting to sell Daswon then reinstating him and admitting he had been proved wrong?

I wish he had sold dawson, he is completely unsuited to how we should play as a team and gives the ball away far to often. He has only played so much because of injuries to others, he will not be in the first team if everyone gets fit.

lost quite a bit of respect for AVB when he partially blamed the fans for the teams performances at home. he was right about the atmosphere but not nearly enough to point the finger at them for a team he is in charge of

not a good look

Rare that i agree with you but i do on this.

That is an interesting perspective. I wonder if that was the case. Shows how much difference supporters can make.
Also interesting that the Trust came out with a statement re the use of "yid" and its effect on chanting/singing (or is that what you meant). So maybe this is some collective strategy playing out on another level.

Well the trust statement makes it clear that there have been discussions going on at a very high level for a while. I would be amazed if AVB had not agreed a line with the board before making this statement, it is possible that the board asked him to air it.

I gained it. It's in his best interest to look after his team and if his team feel the crowd are getting to them then avb had no choice.

Took a lot of cahoonies to say it, I would rather have a manager that can make the tough choices than one who *****foots around them.

And finally, he's right. The crowd have been pretty poor.

Have to agree.

lost quite a bit of respect for AVB when he partially blamed the fans for the teams performances at home. he was right about the atmosphere but not nearly enough to point the finger at them for a team he is in charge of

not a good look

Yeah, it sounds better when you criticise the crowd after you've played really well and the crowd still don't offer support despite this rather than slating them for not being amused after s****ing a 1-0 win at home to Hull with a fortunate penalty. I personally would take 1-0 wins all season but I won't particularly enjoy the games apart from the final outcome and I understand why the fans aren't happy to an extent. Surely AVB can find a balance where we are solid defensively but play with a bit more flair and guile?

P.s. the word " s c r a p i n g" is censored? Really?

AVB is quite contrary - on the one hand hes open to admitting his mistakes when he makes them but doesnt appear to learn from them.

Were told he is a great analyser yet cant seem to come up with a plan b for teams that park the bus at the lane.

Weve seen he is a compassionate man when it comes to his players but ade's treatment seems counter to this, especially given the fact the team could do with another option sometimes.

He seems pretty inflexible in style but on the other hand he has changed a lot in style after the chelsea debacle.

Cant quite help the feeling that AVB doesnt have enough experience in his short career to really be successful and we are just another stepping stone for him to be managing another big european team.

Dont get me wrong i think he is a good up and coming manager but there's more to come definitely.

Playing so many midweek games doesnt help as he basically doesnt have a lot of time to get his ideas across to the players, so it will take time for the team to get used to his style.

If we look at last season the team started slow but then got beter and if you think this year we bought so many new players albeit higher quality players then it will take time. In the meantime it looks like we are going to have to put up with some turgid performances.

AVB is quite contrary - on the one hand hes open to admitting his mistakes when he makes them but doesnt appear to learn from them.

Were told he is a great analyser yet cant seem to come up with a plan b for teams that park the bus at the lane.

Weve seen he is a compassionate man when it comes to his players but ade's treatment seems counter to this, especially given the fact the team could do with another option sometimes.

He seems pretty inflexible in style but on the other hand he has changed a lot in style after the chelsea debacle.

Cant quite help the feeling that AVB doesnt have enough experience in his short career to really be successful and we are just another stepping stone for him to be managing another big european team.

Dont get me wrong i think he is a good up and coming manager but there's more to come definitely.

Playing so many midweek games doesnt help as he basically doesnt have a lot of time to get his ideas across to the players, so it will take time for the team to get used to his style.

If we look at last season the team started slow but then got beter and if you think this year we bought so many new players albeit higher quality players then it will take time. In the meantime it looks like we are going to have to put up with some turgid performances.

A lot of valid points made.

But the top and bottom of the matter are that we have equaled our best ever start to an EPL season and are coasting in the Cup competitions.

To me the question each fan has to ask is simple. Do we want to win all of the rest of our games 1-0?

The swear filter software on the board is pretty unsophisticated, it is picking up c.r.a.p. in the middle of the word

Maybe I live in a World that had been desensitised to the word c.r.a.p. but I can't believe that it's use even invokes the swear filter software.

Doesn't even really seem like swearing these days. Talking of which, I'm hoping that we can still say ****erel on here otherwise the swear filter is just getting too over intrusive.

Great! So we can't even say the name of the bird on our club crest. It's farcical.

A lot of valid points made.

But the top and bottom of the matter are that we have equaled our best ever start to an EPL season and are coasting in the Cup competitions.

To me the question each fan has to ask is simple. Do we want to win all of the rest of our games 1-0?

Of course we will be happy to win 1-0 the problem is many of us can see we have been very fortunate in Sat's game, vs Palace and to a certain extent in the Chelsea game when torres was sent off. AVB has earned the benefit of the doubt but he has to be careful. I never accepted Harry criticising the fans and I won't accept it from AVB. He criticised Sczesny last season for criticising us when he is "just passing through" Arsenal, well imo the same thing applies to him too.

Last edited:
Back