• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

I meant Wigans style of play. They were **** under Jewell.

I was surprised Martinez did not take the leap to a bigger side earlier. He could finish 10th this year and still be considered a success. Unambitious?

I was surprised Martinez did not take the leap to a bigger side earlier. He could finish 10th this year and still be considered a success. Unambitious?

Aston Villa offered him the job a few years back but he wanted to stay with Wigan out of loyalty. Fair play to him.

but im not talking about how far the clubs have come, I'm talking about a style of play. I thought thats what was meant by "legacies" - Swansea are still playing nice one touch passing football, all that which Martinez brought upon them. He did the same when he went to Wigan and even won them an FA Cup. He's doing the same at Everton, has them unbeaten and playing some real great stuff.

I think that a legacy is more than just a playing style. I think that it is building the foundations on which future success are built on and I am not sure that Martinez has done that anywhere he has been.

I think that a legacy is more than just a playing style. I think that it is building the foundations on which future success are built on and I am not sure that Martinez has done that anywhere he has been.

He built the foundations at Swansea. You know, that team who have won the Carling Cup and are playing European football ?

He built the foundations at Swansea. You know, that team who have won the Carling Cup and are playing European football ?

I think he did well there but I think that the owners deserve more of the credit. They set a long term strategy for the club, stuck to it and hired players and managers that fitted it.

I think he did well there but I think that the owners deserve more of the credit. They set a long term strategy for the club, stuck to it and hired players and managers that fitted it.

i cant really speak for the owners and what they wanted, why didnt they do this earlier?

i cant really speak for the owners and what they wanted, why didnt they do this earlier?

According to the wiki article on Swansea the current owners took over in January 2002, Martinez took over in 2006. In the time in between they had gone from avoiding relegation to the conference on the last day of the season in the 02/03 season to being in league one in 05/06 finishing in the playoffs in their first season back in that league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea_City_A.F.C.

According to the wiki article on Swansea the current owners took over in January 2002, Martinez took over in 2006. In the time in between they had gone from avoiding relegation to the conference on the last day of the season in the 02/03 season to being in league one in 05/06 finishing in the playoffs in their first season back in that league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea_City_A.F.C.

and there style of play? did the manager before Martinez play the way they do now? or did the owners suddenly think to appoint managers based on Martinez's success as I pointed out?

and there style of play? did the manager before Martinez play the way they do now? or did the owners suddenly think to appoint managers based on Martinez's success as I pointed out?

I don't know, I don't even watch the Championship :) Do you know?

I was just pointing out that the "why didn't they do this earlier" question seemed a bit harsh considering the time frame.

I think their owners/directors/whatevers deserve a lot of credit either way though. They turned it around for the club before Martinez was hired and found the right manager for them in Martinez. When he left they again found the right manager for them in Rodgers. And again with Laudrup. Dealing with that so well on several occasions relatively close together says to me that this is more than just someone continuing the trend set by Martinez. This along with their rather excellent record in the transfer market, apparently not something they leave to the manager to deal with alone.

I love it when people talk about Swansea City dating back to when they were a league 1 side, who have no idea about them.

Martinez took over at Swansea having formerly been a player there, he was still well respected by a lot of the dressing room and took over from Kenny Jackett, who didn't have the team playing particularly exciting stuff. Martinez kept the side functional, rather than eye catching for quite a few months before putting his style on things. He, having gone to Wigan, was replaced by Paulo Sousa, who was playing remarkably negative football. He added the defensive solidarity - Martinez was responsible for the quick passing, pass and move game. After Sousa was disappointing and left, Brendan Rodgers came in - not because he had this amazing reputation for great football, but because he came from Chelsea, he'd done very, very badly at both Reading and Watford. He added pressing - Barcelona style pressing to their game. A combination of Martinez, Sousa and Rodgers are responsible for Swansea's playing style, no individual, and certainly not their attention seeking Chairman, Huw Jenkins.

I love it when people talk about Swansea City dating back to when they were a league 1 side, who have no idea about them.

Martinez took over at Swansea having formerly been a player there, he was still well respected by a lot of the dressing room and took over from Kenny Jackett, who didn't have the team playing particularly exciting stuff. Martinez kept the side functional, rather than eye catching for quite a few months before putting his style on things. He, having gone to Wigan, was replaced by Paulo Sousa, who was playing remarkably negative football. He added the defensive solidarity - Martinez was responsible for the quick passing, pass and move game. After Sousa was disappointing and left, Brendan Rodgers came in - not because he had this amazing reputation for great football, but because he came from Chelsea, he'd done very, very badly at both Reading and Watford. He added pressing - Barcelona style pressing to their game. A combination of Martinez, Sousa and Rodgers are responsible for Swansea's playing style, no individual, and certainly not their attention seeking Chairman, Huw Jenkins.

Cheers for that Aber :)

I guess I've just bought into the hype. You don't think Jenkins deserves any credit for their progress in the last decade then?

Cheers for that Aber :)

I guess I've just bought into the hype. You don't think Jenkins deserves any credit for their progress in the last decade then?

Maybe a little. He's hired young managers who know how to nail a sales pitch. He's also clever enough to write big release fee's into managerial contracts. He has an eye for talent, but I think he gets too much credit for Swansea. There doesn't seem to have ever been a real plan, it just so happens the last 4 managers in a row added something specific, and it turned out pretty well.

I call Jenkins attention seeking just because I hate how he always has to have his say in the media. It achieves nothing. For all the cash and hard work he undoubtedly puts in BEHIND THE SCENES, that's where it should stay. Leave the publicity to the manager and players.

Last edited:
Re: AVB On Reals Madrid's Short List For New Manager

ITV did a lovely 10 minute film about Swansea journey from near relegation to the conference to winning in Europe. Might still be able to get it on ITV player well worth a watch.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Fapatalk 4

He's the same guy that played Finchy in The Office, right?

yeah but what if he had appointed Mick McCarthy after Martinez, or Tony Pulis after Sousa???;)

There'd have been little to no economical value in that. No-one's potentially going to pay up to £5m for Tony Pulis to break his contract. Brendan Rodgers was always going to be a different story.

Does that article take into account that most of our shots are from ridiculous distances/angles?

Does that article take into account that most of our shots are from ridiculous distances/angles?

Does that article take into account that most shots against us are also from ridiculous distances/angles?

Back