• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Does that article take into account that most shots against us are also from ridiculous distances/angles?

I don't think they are though, last season Spurs took a higher % of shots from outside the area than any other club in the top five European leagues. Without looking at the numbers I imagine this season so far is much of the same.

Does that article take into account that most shots against us are also from ridiculous distances/angles?

It overestimates shots in the first place. They aren't a super important 'metric' that he says they are. The only stat that matters really on there is points per game. Everything else is just a reflection of style of play.

I don't think they are though, last season Spurs took a higher % of shots from outside the area than any other club in the top five European leagues. Without looking at the numbers I imagine this season so far is much of the same.

I would imagine that the majority of clubs have more shots from outside the area than they do from inside. Just because of frustration, opportunism and glory seeking.

It overestimates shots in the first place. They aren't a super important 'metric' that he says they are. The only stat that matters really on there is points per game. Everything else is just a reflection of style of play.

Not really. You can use stats to justify tactics. They are important managerial tools, you just need to know how to use them.

Just checked the shot % from outside the area and ours is 57%, only clubs with a higher percentage are Palace(61%) and Fulham(64%). I'm not surprised to see Soldado struggling, I'd already predicted that before he actually signed, hopefully it changes but I'm not confident.

Just checked the shot % from outside the area and ours is 57%, only clubs with a higher percentage are Palace(61%) and Fulham(64%). I'm not surprised to see Soldado struggling, I'd already predicted that before he actually signed, hopefully it changes but I'm not confident.

Would've hoped that having signed Soldado and Eriksen our proportion of shots attempted from outside the area would've dropped but that figure is 3% worse than last season, probably largely due to Townsend!

According to http://www.statsbomb.com/2013/10/premier-league-prime-zone-shots-after-week-6/ we've only taken 28 (24%) of our shots this season from "prime positions" compared to 43 for L'ARSEnal and 48 for Emirates Marketing Project (both 49%) or 30 for Liverpool (38%)...

ManU bossed it last season with 45% of their 554 shots taken from within the "prime zone"... http://statsbettor.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/shot-location-by-teams-in-the-epl/ L'ARSEnal not too behind on 39%...

BVLF-bkCYAElCGm.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/colinttrainor/status/383586594617188352/

Wait what did you predict?

yeah the way we are set up and the style we play is no good for players like Soldado and Defoe, not at the highest level.

even strikers like Lineker and Wright would have a problem with our current tactics.....starved of service, they would go mad

Maybe a little. He's hired young managers who know how to nail a sales pitch. He's also clever enough to write big release fee's into managerial contracts. He has an eye for talent, but I think he gets too much credit for Swansea. There doesn't seem to have ever been a real plan, it just so happens the last 4 managers in a row added something specific, and it turned out pretty well.

I call Jenkins attention seeking just because I hate how he always has to have his say in the media. It achieves nothing. For all the cash and hard work he undoubtedly puts in BEHIND THE SCENES, that's where it should stay. Leave the publicity to the manager and players.

Thats a bit harsh on the man,if you want to court publicity you should look at the gypos up the road,cardiff,... when did you see any of the swansea board on the pitch after a game them lot are constantly shoving their face in front of a camera and thats been happening for the last ten years(even now they got sam hamman back on board now). There is a about 3 or 4 men behind swansea success not just the chairman because swansea ethos is based on a trust where even a the head of the supporters club is on the board,its not down to one man he's just a spokesman . ive seen him in city on many a night out and he is quite approachable with no ego what so ever. If they got relegated next season it won't matter because they are financially secure for the next ten years or so,and would have the resources to come straight back up .

Happy Birthday AVB

Shares a birthday with me - but he's 8 years older

[video]http://instagram.com/p/fkdyz0N9m6/#[/video]

Last edited:

Hit the ripe old age of 36 yesterday. Damn.

He's far from the finished product: still makes mistakes, still is a bit hesitant to risk changing the game with subs, and still prioritises the wrong f**king games (Anzhi away, my GHod ](*,) ), but he has the makings of a magnificent manager in him, probably one of the best in the game if he sticks at it and doesn't go haring off to the Dakar Rally in a decade or so.

The only worry I have is that he'll get really good by honing his skills at Spurs (and making mistakes along the way) and then leave before we can reap the benefits of his experiences here.

Anyone else think he could get the sack if we do not finish top 4 this season? Levy obviously wants us to play a certain style throughout the entire club and we are famous for playing the "Tottenham way" but our current football really is boring, me and the missus fell alseep watching last nights game.

Sooo, how many clean sheets ? And how many games where we don't score ? This is a nice build up and head of momentum methinks

The concerning thing about AVB is that will still don't appear to have an identity with regards the way we play. Watching Liverpool and Southampton does make you question him a bit, both of those teams have exciting, identifiable playing styles whilst we still appear to be a mish mash of nothingness most of the time.

He inherited a much better squad than Rogers, and has much more at his disposal and has had longer than Pochettino.

I said I thought we'd come 8th at the start of the season, and I don't think that'll be too far off.

Back