• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

I can already answer those as I've had that discussion with him before. He used to get very angry about being taken off early and said he felt fine, but it's usually a creative player that gets taken off when things aren't going well to try something new. He can't help himself when he roams, he just wants to be involved all the time. Redknapp encouraged his roaming but also told him he needed to stay further forward because he was actually meant to be playing as a forward and the two of them used to have some heated discussions about it!

Not sure about that; often a creative player gets taken off to 'shore things up' not try something new, but anyway...

What about Sherwood's comments that the guy could start a fight with himself he was that volatile?
Also, did he think he could have worked under AVB's more structured harder traing regime or would he have preferred Redknapp's non-tactical runaboutabit methods?

He was a doubt for a large number of games due to hamstring injuries.

I call flimflam.

You can call it what you want :lol: Most players play most of the season with injuries. Most injuries can only be cured by rest, and the players don't get that luxury until the Summer. Rafael had his injuries at Spurs but no more than any other player and he certainly isn't injury prone. Including internationals he usually players over 40 games a season and has done that for most of his career.

You can call it what you want :lol: Most players play most of the season with injuries. Most injuries can only be cured by rest, and the players don't get that luxury until the Summer. Rafael had his injuries at Spurs but no more than any other player and he certainly isn't injury prone. Including internationals he usually players over 40 games a season and has done that for most of his career.

So what you're saying is that VDV was not plagued any more by injuries than most of the players in our squad??:-k

Not sure about that; often a creative player gets taken off to 'shore things up' not try something new, but anyway...

What about Sherwood's comments that the guy could start a fight with himself he was that volatile?
Also, did he think he could have worked under AVB's more structured harder traing regime or would he have preferred Redknapp's non-tactical runaboutabit methods?

He is a passionate man, and he admits himself that he often blows his top. It takes a good man manager to handle that, but believe me many players are like that. Especially the Dutch! It is well known that if a team has two or three Dutch players in it you'd better watch out for the fireworks :lol:

Redknapp's training was apparently harder than AVB's but in a more fun way. AVB is very methodical apparently, and the training is almost robotic with pattern plays repeated over and over and over again. Redknapp's style is old fashioned, more physical training with ball skills than pattern play and tactical evaluation of the opponents.

So what you're saying is that VDV was not plagued any more by injuries than most of the players in our squad??:-k

That is what I am saying, yes. I am saying that the perception was the he was injured, but he played 40 games for us last season and 36 games the season before that. That doesn't include internationals. Hardly a player who is often absent with injury.

He is a passionate man, and he admits himself that he often blows his top. It takes a good man manager to handle that, but believe me many players are like that. Especially the Dutch! It is well known that if a team has two or three Dutch players in it you'd better watch out for the fireworks :lol:

Redknapp's training was apparently harder than AVB's but in a more fun way. AVB is very methodical apparently, and the training is almost robotic with pattern plays repeated over and over and over again. Redknapp's style is old fashioned, more physical training with ball skills than pattern play and tactical evaluation of the opponents.

Interesting!!!

Interesting!!!

It is just different styles. AVB is far more scientific and Redknapp is more instinctive. This is their approach to the entire game really, not just training. For example Redknapp would have a training 7 a-side session and it would be simply a game of football for 30 minutes. AVB's training games follow a more tactical approach with players given defined roles and formations that they must adhere too. As with most training methods different players will react differently. Some players will flourish under one coach, but not another simply because they enjoy don't enjoy training.

It wasn't just Redknapp of course but his backroom staff. But given what I have been told, I do wonder whether the training sessions burned the players out too much and there was little thought given to ideal conditioning in the run up to games.

One thing they should concentrate on in training is off the ball movement. It is absolutely shocking most of the time.

I think off the movement HAS to be taught at a young level. I think you can teach it on the training ground but it's so easy to just go with what you know. Best we can hope really is to just buy good players who know how to pass and move.

I think off the movement HAS to be taught at a young level. I think you can teach it on the training ground but it's so easy to just go with what you know. Best we can hope really is to just buy good players who know how to pass and move.
I'm sure it is/was taught. Our boys are just not doing it.

Seriously though there should be repetitive passing patterns and off the ball movement as a daily training exercise. What I am seeing on the pitch for the most part is rather disappointing. I would count Hudd and Holtby as almost the only two who seek the ball and move into the space on a consistent basis. The rest do it on occasion but nowhere near as much as they should. There is something wrong with that picture.

Last edited:

I wouldn't have thought so, because ourselves and Liverpool were also in transition. Which is why a weak Everton side was able to stay in touch so long. Next season we'll see some coach changes but if the rumours are true and Arsenal get top four this year it will pan out like this (and you can hold me to this post if I am wrong :lol: )

City and Chelsea will be untouchable. Moyes will be a good fit at Utd eventually, but Ferguson is getting out at the right time with most of his best players ageing. Utd will still have too much for most teams though and be comfortable top four. Arsenal no longer have financial constraints and I do think they'll spend big this Summer IF they qualify for the Champion's League. That spend will certainly give them an advantage, but if we lose Bale it will put them out of our reach for the indefinite future. My dark horse for next season is Liverpool. I think Rodgers has done a very good job this season and he just needs to turn some of those draws into wins and they'd have been up with us this season. I think next season that will happen and again if we lose Bale I can see Liverpool actually getting the jump on us.

If we keep Bale and don't get top four this season then I think we'll certainly challenge top four next year, but unlike this season I don't think we can be regarded as favourites to get it. Right now I do think we're better than Arsenal and have better players but if they get Champion's League next season I think they'll bring in a couple of quality players that are out of our range to compete against.

Key for us now is to be really smart in the transfer market this Summer but I don't think we've been that smart since Arnesen left.

We were NEVER favourites to get top four this season. Man Utd, Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea and Arsenal were always the favourites for top four.

This is simply not true - at least, not according to every other account of how the players have responded to AVB's training sessions.

The players were highly impressed by AVB's training sessions from the very beginning. They are fun. They involve almost constant ball work. And, to the extent that they are tactical, the message is imparted and repeated in a simple and fun way. In fact, the players welcomed the more tactical approach to training.

Redknapp's training was apparently harder than AVB's but in a more fun way. AVB is very methodical apparently, and the training is almost robotic with pattern plays repeated over and over and over again. Redknapp's style is old fashioned, more physical training WITHOUT ball skills than pattern play and tactical evaluation of the opponents.

Corrected for correctness.

Judginh by some of the videos it Looks like our youth teams have picked up on the pass and move.

This is simply not true - at least, not according to every other account of how the players have responded to AVB's training sessions.

The players were highly impressed by AVB's training sessions from the very beginning. They are fun. They involve almost constant ball work. And, to the extent that they are tactical, the message is imparted and repeated in a simple and fun way. In fact, the players welcomed the more tactical approach to training.

To this I say two things. One is that the viewpoint I was given was only from one player and the majority of the training he did was pre-season. Second point is that what players say publically and what they say privately are two different things. It is more uncommon for a player to speak the truth publically than to actually just do a bit of positive PR.

Corrected for correctness.

You don't know do you? Believe me, under Redknapp there was a lot of ball work involved. He often used to let the players get on with it and if left to their own choice most players just want to practice new techniques and play football rather than pattern play!

Andre Villas-Boas today tipped Chelsea to win the Premier League next year and admitted his Tottenham squad may fall behind their rivals unless they strengthen their squad.

"I think Chelsea next season will absolutely be the team to beat, bearing in mind the manager change and the manager that we expect to come,

"Our step at the moment is to be into the Champions League, probably not title contenders but we hope to be competitive next season if we manage to do things properly in the summer.

"You have to strengthen for next season to get a higher tally of points."

8-[

Back