• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Is Mourinho with our squad and our constraints going to do any better, or play any nice football, than AVB would? I'm not really sure that's definitely the case to be honest.

Im not saying he is, will be or would... just playing devils advocate in response to the whole 'would Levy sack AVB'. I dont think Levy is silly enough to sack AVB but if he had an opportunity to bring in Mourinho - maybe someone who could entice the best to come to WHL and the best to stay - then who knows.

I am sure there is no payout to AVB if we decide to get rid etc... Dont think Levy would pay the 20m anyways to get Mourinho out. I think Mourinho will be going to bricky.

Im not saying he is, will be or would... just playing devils advocate in response to the whole 'would Levy sack AVB'. I dont think Levy is silly enough to sack AVB but if he had an opportunity to bring in Mourinho - maybe someone who could entice the best to come to WHL and the best to stay - then who knows.

I am sure there is no payout to AVB if we decide to get rid etc... Dont think Levy would pay the 20m anyways to get Mourinho out. I think Mourinho will be going to bricky.
Chelsea you mean, right? Looks like Pellegrini is a shoo in for the City job.

I wouldnt be so certain. Is Roman gonna pay the £20m release clause? Or will Real succumb - I dont know.

Roman has the upper hand imo, Real want rid of Mourinho and don't want to pay to do so. Roman could always find another manager.

If City nip in and offer the full 20m Real would say yes, but would Mourinho..

I wouldnt be so certain. Is Roman gonna pay the £20m release clause? Or will Real succumb - I dont know.

You'd have to think Roman would pay it if he wants Mourinho back. I'm sure he made a bunch of paper airplanes out the FFP rules when he got them.

Why would Levy waste millions on replacing someone who is doing well? AVB was hired with the longer term in mind.

For instance: Mourinho would cost us more than Moutinho and that's before he's made any transfer demans.

AVB is a Mourinho protege. Why on earth would you pay 20 mil + his huge salary to have someone coach the same methods and tactics? Never going to happen.

Not the remotest chance that AVB will be sacked - unless he and Levy have been having blazing rows behind closed doors.

We are challenging for the top four. Possibly closing in on a record Premier League points haul. The players seem very happy. AVB says all the right things in public. He actually gave the Europa League a proper go (quite important given that Spurs sell Cup shirt sponsorship separately).

Every chance that, whatever happens on Sunday, Spurs will continue to move forward under AVB.

If anything i'd give him a one year extension. He only started with a three year contract.

I'd leave that til the end of NEXT season before we start talking about extensions personally.

For sure this. Great first season for AVB, he has done a really good job but there have been many Spurs coaches over the years who had a great first season or 12 months in charge.

I'd leave that til the end of NEXT season before we start talking about extensions personally.

I wouldn't. With only one year left, if he does have a successful time next year it would be relatively cheap for anyone to nip in and pinch him off us.

He has done well for us this season, and a one year extension would spread the ideal of stability and reward being given for good performance.

Instead of negotiation a new, long term contract every two or three years, just add on an extra year with a slight increase in salary as long as they're doing well.

Instead of negotiation a new, long term contract every two or three years, just add on an extra year with a slight increase in salary as long as they're doing well.

Nice dream, but in the real world with agents I think you will find things don't work that way.

Should be the way we do it. I doubt they would turn down an increase in wage.

He really has done an amazing job. Who would have thought at the beginnig of the season we might be in a situation come the end of the season where we could be on 72 points and still not make the top 4. Heck in the history of this league 68 points has never failed to get a team in the top 4

Last edited:

The highest points total of any team finishing 4th was 71 points. We could get 72 points and finish 5th - unbelievable!

He really has done an amazing job. Who would have thought at the beginnig of the season we might be in a situation come the end of the season where we could be on 72 points and still not make the top 4. Heck in the history of this league 68 points have never failed to get a team in the top 4

One things for sure, either us or Arsenal are setting a PL record this weekend with that stat, and for me, you're right he has done an excellent job this season.
Losing such talismans as VDV and Modrid on top of Ledleys retirement and then the Kaboul loss I honestly thought we would struggle to be in the Top 6.
I was a little worried by the highline in those pre-season games, coupled with 2pts from 3 the opening games it did not bode well.
Sunday looks like being a rollercoaster like the final afternoon last season. Still remember the buzz that went around the ground when news of the Baggies goals came through. Hopefully we will have plenty of 'buzzes' coming through this Sunday and no groans..

One things for sure, either us or Arsenal are setting a PL record this weekend with that stat, and for me, you're right he has done an excellent job this season.
Losing such talismans as VDV and Modrid on top of Ledleys retirement and then the Kaboul loss I honestly thought we would struggle to be in the Top 6.
I was a little worried by the highline in those pre-season games, coupled with 2pts from 3 the opening games it did not bode well.
Sunday looks like being a rollercoaster like the final afternoon last season. Still remember the buzz that went around the ground when news of the Baggies goals came through. Hopefully we will have plenty of 'buzzes' coming through this Sunday and no groans..

He didn't lose VDV, he didn't want VDV.

But I think AVB has done a great job, but we need Champion's League football. I think next season will be a lot harder to get top four than this year, and just to be sure we can keep Bale we need top four. If we don't have Bale next season then we have no chance of challenging for top four.

The highest points total of any team finishing 4th was 71 points. We could get 72 points and finish 5th - unbelievable!

Liverpool finished 4th in 2007-08 with 76pts, that season the Top 4 were streets ahead of Everton in 5th, but no team has reached 72pts and not finished in the Top 4, since the reduction to 20 teams in the PL era

Back