• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Other than when we got smashed by Arsenal. ;)

Nah, he's done well. He's still got a lot to learn (he's 35 after all!) but I'm looking forward to seeing what he does this summer.

I hope he has his 'a list' of targets and his 'b list' for when we fanny around offering half the asking price for the a list players.

I hope above all else that he gets time. We've seen how our club can be trigger happy when it comes to firing managers.

I agree defensively we haven't been good enough. Arsenal have grounded out a lot of 1-0 wins. But I'm not convinced that Kaboul is going to be the magic formula to solve some of our defensive problems.

I think Kaboul is better than Dawson, but he's probably not some magic formula.

Sandro on the other hand, he is that magic formula, a spellbinding potion and a supernatural spell all in one :)

I agree defensively we haven't been good enough. Arsenal have grounded out a lot of 1-0 wins. But I'm not convinced that Kaboul is going to be the magic formula to solve some of our defensive problems.

I'm not really sure what to do with our defensive problems tbh. A lot of it seems to come down to individual slips of concentration, which happens too often for a club of our level.

I don't know either, it's difficult to tell how players will adapt to the high line. I think he'll be given the chance to.

The return of Sandro (and Dembele i guess tonight) ought help us out defensively though.

I think Kaboul is better than Dawson, but he's probably not some magic formula.

Sandro on the other hand, he is that magic formula, a spellbinding potion and a supernatural spell all in one :)

Well basically I don't rate Kaboul as highly as some Spurs fans, should have just said that really :)

Looking at Chelsea today, they had so many attacking players making good runs, but they really lacked a deep lying playmaker to knit it all together. Like us they could really do with a Moutinho or Modric or Xabi Alonso. It's obviously a position we need and want to do something about, but it won't be easy.

In an ideal world I'd want a deep playmaker (Clasie?), a true playmaker in the Silva/Mata/Cazorla mold (despite different strengths Holtby lacks the goals and close acceleration, Siggy the dominant number of touches to be a VdV sort of starter), a lead-the-line striker and probably a LB (Ben Davies?) if AVB's not convinced by Rose.

Tough work, but we'd probably be transformed by just two top-class creative players, and Ade would turn out more performances like this one. That's not out of the question if we raise 40m this summer through a combo of TV money and player sales.

I think the best thing about AVB is the spirit he has introduced. He has a likeable personality like Jol and seems to be getting a similar amount of fight and unity from his players. That we are still fighting this hard despite the injuries and imbalances in the squad says a lot for the man. I think these emotional aspects are at least as important as tactics and explain why Reknapp did so well too. He had everyone fighting and believing until the wheels came off despite admitting (iirc) that he wasn't that fussed about tactics.

Re: our defensive problems - they've only come back into our game since Liverpool away. Before that, we'd conceded something like 5 goals in 10 matches. We were incredibly frugal and that coincided with Dawson coming back into the team. I'm not sure what happened since then.

In an ideal world I'd want a deep playmaker (Clasie?), a true playmaker in the Silva/Mata/Cazorla mold (despite different strengths Holtby lacks the goals and close acceleration, Siggy the dominant number of touches to be a VdV sort of starter), a lead-the-line striker and probably a LB (Ben Davies?) if AVB's not convinced by Rose.

Tough work, but we'd probably be transformed by just two top-class creative players, and Ade would turn out more performances like this one. That's not out of the question if we raise 40m this summer through a combo of TV money and player sales.

Totally agree with all of that. Trouble is, a true playmaker ala Silva / Mata / Cazorla might be difficult to find given that they're all world-class players! Of course I appreciate that we can look for players with a similar skillset but of lesser proven quality, but IMO their quality is that they have such a complete skillset. As you say, Holtby and Siggy both have some elements of that skillset (whilst lacking others), and for now I'm content to make use of both of them depending on which of their skillsets are more useful to us in the current game situation.

Of course it would always be great to go out and get top quality players in any position, but the fact that Holtby and Siggy are both young and hard-working and likeable and recently-bought and have shown flashes of being very good players IMO means that I'd like them to be given more playing time, rather than going out and buying someone else to take over their role. A deep playmaker and a lead-the-line striker are bigger priorities for me (I'd also like to see Rose competing for the starting role at left-back next season).

Totally agree with all of that. Trouble is, a true playmaker ala Silva / Mata / Cazorla might be difficult to find given that they're all world-class players! Of course I appreciate that we can look for players with a similar skillset but of lesser proven quality, but IMO their quality is that they have such a complete skillset. As you say, Holtby and Siggy both have some elements of that skillset (whilst lacking others), and for now I'm content to make use of both of them depending on which of their skillsets are more useful to us in the current game situation.

Of course it would always be great to go out and get top quality players in any position, but the fact that Holtby and Siggy are both young and hard-working and likeable and recently-bought and have shown flashes of being very good players IMO means that I'd like them to be given more playing time, rather than going out and buying someone else to take over their role. A deep playmaker and a lead-the-line striker are bigger priorities for me (I'd also like to see Rose competing for the starting role at left-back next season).

Isco is another in this bracket who just might be gettable depending on who else is after him. Dries Mertens and Pjanic (a headline writer's dream name) are two other in the same mould that Mumorn has mentioned recently. I think there are good players out there that we could buy and to be honest Holtby has not convinced me yet. I'm not writing him off or anything but he need to be a bit more composed on the ball.

Re: our defensive problems - they've only come back into our game since Liverpool away. Before that, we'd conceded something like 5 goals in 10 matches. We were incredibly frugal and that coincided with Dawson coming back into the team. I'm not sure what happened since then.

Obviously nobody except the players will know for sure, but I think that defeat really hit them for six. Game under control and it fell to bits. Some of the old doubts/habits crept back, but, give them credit, we havent lost in 8 games since and have scored late goals in 6 of those

Obviously nobody except the players will know for sure, but I think that defeat really hit them for six. Game under control and it fell to bits. Some of the old doubts/habits crept back, but, give them credit, we havent lost in 8 games since and have scored late goals in 6 of those

Just under half our gaols have come in the last 30 (30 of 62 IIRC) and we haven't conceded in the last 30 for a long time in the league from memory.

AVB has instilled a belief in the system and the effort needed to maintain it. Teams really do struggle against us in the last twenty so surely that has something to do with our fitness?

We need maybe 3 quality players to step but to the next level but they have to be the right quality. I can see AVB having his eye on a few unknowns and agree about not using MOTD as his reference point.

My only fear is that we don't give some of the youngsters the right opportunities to develop because they look like the best youth prospects we have had in a very long time

Just under half our gaols have come in the last 30 (30 of 62 IIRC) and we haven't conceded in the last 30 for a long time in the league from memory.

AVB has instilled a belief in the system and the effort needed to maintain it. Teams really do struggle against us in the last twenty so surely that has something to do with our fitness?

We need maybe 3 quality players to step but to the next level but they have to be the right quality. I can see AVB having his eye on a few unknowns and agree about not using MOTD as his reference point.

My only fear is that we don't give some of the youngsters the right opportunities to develop because they look like the best youth prospects we have had in a very long time

Liverpool away. What would have happened without that fudge up?

We have improved this season with the loss of 3 key players. AVB cannot be blamed for individual mistakes..he has sent out the right teams and he has no control over other team's results.
If we get a record points score this term I will be happy. Verts has been a Jonah in the Cups.

So its the players fault that we play at pedestrian pace and have virtually no movement off the ball? Nothing to do with managing of the team or tactics?
AVB wants them to play quicker and move but they don't do it?

So its the players fault that we play at pedestrian pace and have virtually no movement off the ball? Nothing to do with managing of the team or tactics?

Seems a fair set of questions:-k, anyone want to tackle this..?

I'm quite sure AVB doesn't want us to "play at pedestrian pace and have virtually no movement off the ball", and from that I suppose it follows that I think he wants us to play quicker and move, but they don't do it.

We have an imbalance in our squad, a few too many "direct" players that wish primarily to take players on and go straight for the goal at every opportunity that aren't great at keeping possession and not enough players that are great at pass and move football. The first category of players are players that need service, they need the right passes in the right areas (primarily the final third) to do damage. If they get the right passes they can be great or even fantastic, but if they don't get the right passes they fade badly and become invisible. The second category would be players that always want the ball, that play quick football and find those passes into the right areas to our direct players.

Van der Vaart was important for us with his passing, but even more so was Luka Modric. He really was a key player for us and a player we had no backup for last season and who we weren't able to replace this season. I think he papered over quite a few cracks last season and without him we often looked average at best. A single player at that level can make a massive difference, and with us having quite a few defensive players (Dawson, Walker, Gallas, Parker) that I think aren't good enough on the ball the lacking that one top class player becomes even more damaging.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that you really want someone to blame, someone to be at fault for this, and fair enough, I'll bite. 3 options the way I see it:

Levy - for not providing the funds to the managers to sign the right players.
Redknapp - for leaving us with an unbalanced squad.
AVB - for not bringing in the right players.

I'm not going into the whole Levy debate in this thread too, but financial reports show us spending the money that has been available to us. Could he have gotten us Moutinho for a price that would have been right for us? Possibly, possibly not. I'm not going to say that it's his fault without any clear evidence that it is.

Redknapp - partly perhaps. I thought our squad did need quite a bit of work over the summer. Not looking to get into a Redknapp debate here either, people will already have their opinions, they're unlikely to change and this is the AVB thread.

AVB - partly perhaps. With our squad needing quite a lot of work over the summer I thought he did well though. We needed a new goalie, a new first choice central defender, a striker or two and some attacking midfield options in addition to at least one central midfielder (I think two personally). The job he did in the transfer market wasn't perfect, but he got a lot of things right and we compensated quite well for the loss of our best/2nd best player, an important player and our club captain. There was still work to be done, there was still an imbalance in the squad, but with how much work there was to be done over the summer I still think it's unfair to harshly blame him at least as we got a lot of work done.

Its too early to judge AVB, but I think he has done very well with what he had (injuries, latecomers, ade and all).

This summer will be the definitive for him - how he engages with Levy to balance out the squad - that includes diverting resources to keep bale if necessary, how he manages players in told to play in unfamiliar positions etc.

Have a feeling though that this season has been largely a transition season in terms of formations and tactics, and we will see more changes in next year's campaign. That said I think we'll see more departures this season, and AVB will have enough confidence to rock the boat a little bit more.

There was still work to be done, there was still an imbalance in the squad, but with how much work there was to be done over the summer I still think it's unfair to harshly blame him at least as we got a lot of work done.

spot on. i think we bought very well in certain positions and in others where we couldn't get in our first choices we 'patched up' quite well, as you say there was a lot of work to be done to make a balanced squad with quality throughout and it's a job we will be resuming in the summer. if we can bring in 3 players of the quality of Vertongen, Lloris and Dembele in areas in which it is needed we will be on to a very good team for next season, imv - add in a couple of Holtby/Sigurdsson level squad players then it starts to look even better for the squad as a whole.

Back