• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Did you read his interview from today? He wants to stay at Spurs for a while.

And which club would he leave for? Please tell me that you don't believe this Real Madrid story.

Did you see the update?

AVB would be foolish to take on the RM job now because he will go there as a flop in his last 2 seasons. EPL will be great for Spurs’ fans but the RM players will not look at that as a sign of greatness.

Like Benitez he went all out for a trophy because that is what looks good on a CV not 4th spot.

I think we will win a trophy next season and challenge for the title. That could be enough for AVB to land a big job abroad. I don’t think he will be here 2014-15 but I hope you are right that he will stay longer.

something got lost along the way or it was poor editing.

Despite reiterating his commitment to Tottenham, Villas-Boas did concede that he retains long-term ambitions to manage in South America at some point in the future.

"Definitely," he said." Brazil, my feelings are the same. I would definitely move very, very soon to a club in a different league."

That's a crap thing to say. If he said it.

I suspect that there's something lost in translation there, with AVB's occasionally awkward use of English being to blame.

I cannot believe that AVB would have meant that he's planning to leave Spurs "very, very soon". Why would he say such a thing at this stage of the season, even if he was planning to leave very, very soon?

I'm pretty sure that what he meant was that it wouldn't be a difficult decision for him to manage, one day, in a country such as Brazil. "Very, very soon" refers to the ease of the decision rather than to the imminence of his leaving Spurs.

It was a loss in translation by AVB. The Guardian later clarified this. He mistook the context of 'very very soon' and was applying it thinking he was saying 'down the road'...

Aside from times under Burky, name me another manager we have had who instilled a consistent, winning mentality?

We've thrown away more points this season than any other team, from a winning position. Burkinshaw was often criticized because Spurs lacked the killer instinct. I remember people talking about us as being the only club who could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and that was in the early 1980's. As for other coaches, there have been many that started very strongly and impressively. I don't think we are any better this season, or have had a mentality change, than the last few seasons. We have finished top five a few times over the last decade. And even before that in the late 80's and mid 90's we had moments where the team looked solid and seemed to have got over the weak mentality hoodoo. I remember one period in the 90's where we kept having clean sheets and looked the most solid I can ever recall a Spurs side looking AND playing good football at the same time. Half a season under Hoddle and we had a great team to watch that also had a never say die attitude. It's easy to look good when you are playing well. It's when a team is struggling and their confidence is low that you can really see what they are made of mentally.

Your point on his length of tenure is taken, and perhaps it is hasty to say we have a winning mentality for good, but we certainly have developed a greater ability not to be beaten when going behind than we have for many years.

No more or less than other seasons. We have thrown away so many leads this year that I am not sure that we really have that killing instinct yet. But then I also do not believe that a coach can teach it or bring it to a team. Players do and if the players aren't right you have to replace them with winners. But we are a good team as we have been for the last 10 years.

Nope, not here. I don't slag off the team for losing a couple of games. You can direct that elsewhere.

I can see that, you're very optimistic which is a good thing to be.

It's funny you know Old Bill, and a bit of a shame for you as you'd have liked the following chappy...there was a postee on here called The Moonlight Knight. You and he are almost like brother seperated at birth (if you weren't Dutch I'd be inclined to ask of you were related :lol:) and these are precisely the sorts of things he said.

I am not surprised, a lot of people agree with me and my footballing views. I would hope a few posters on here agree with me :lol:

I agreed with some of them, and I agree with some of what you've said. But this is not a 'largely inherited' team. He has had to do a lot of hard work in a very short relative amount of time, not to mention deal with a shift in how our play is conducted via losing the one player he himself tried to sign for Chelski last Summer!

For me the hard work starts this Summer. This season was a honeymoon period and the harvest was from seeds sowed before AVB arrived. Next season we see the first crop of AVB's planting. Personally I want to see us play more exciting football next year, but I don't think AVB has it in him to let us off the leash as he is too much of Mourinho's protégé. But if we have Gareth Bale thrilling us next season and maybe can add another flair player it will make up for the robotic way the team currently functions.

Of course he needs time and of course we need patience. I have both. I like him a lot. Even if we don't make the CL this season, I will always be happy with a man like AVB in charge.

I agree, I like AVB and he has done very well this season even if we don't get top four.

Half a season under Hoddle and we had a great team to watch that also had a never say die attitude.
I'd like to see Hoddle managing us again at some point. His stubbornness, him trying to outplay his own squad in training, alienating his players ultimately losing the dressing room and his inability to cope with the media probably cost him his job, but there was nothing wrong with his tactics and managerial philosophy IMV. When he "grows up" he could very well become a great manager again.

No more or less than other seasons. We have thrown away so many leads this year that I am not sure that we really have that killing instinct yet. But then I also do not believe that a coach can teach it or bring it to a team. Players do and if the players aren't right you have to replace them with winners. But we are a good team as we have been for the last 10 years.

Quite a few of those points thrown away was early in the season when the team was still settling. Other than that slight disagreement I agree fully agree with what you're saying.

It seems that AVB is doing exactly what you're saying. He brought in Vertonghen (Ajax captain), Lloris (France and Lyon captain) and Holtby (Germany U21 captain). He also brought in Dempsey who seems to have an excellent attitude and who has captained the US at times.

These things take time though, but if we keep bringing in leaders we should improve our mentality.

Quite a few of those points thrown away was early in the season when the team was still settling. Other than that slight disagreement I agree fully agree with what you're saying.

It seems that AVB is doing exactly what you're saying. He brought in Vertonghen (Ajax captain), Lloris (France and Lyon captain) and Holtby (Germany U21 captain). He also brought in Dempsey who seems to have an excellent attitude and who has captained the US at times.

These things take time though, but if we keep bringing in leaders we should improve our mentality.

I agree, and we need more. Bale is our key to longer term success though. We must keep him or it will set us back as much as when we lost Gascoigne. It doesn't matter how good AVB is, he needs the backing of the Chairman and good players to be able to achieve what we all need him to achieve.

I do think this has been a very good season, especially for a debut coach. But this is the honeymoon season yes? Next season is the real test.

I'd like to see Hoddle managing us again at some point. His stubbornness, him trying to outplay his own squad in training, alienating his players ultimately losing the dressing room and his inability to cope with the media probably cost him his job, but there was nothing wrong with his tactics and managerial philosophy IMV. When he "grows up" he could very well become a great manager again.

No fudging way would I want him managing my club again

Our mentality would be helped even further if he were given the funds to bring in people who can score consistently for us

Maybe in his next life :ross:
And he never was a great manager wasnt even a good one, never won a trophy in 15 years.
His 90s 'tactical knowledge' would be well and truly jurassic by now too.

Maybe in his next life :ross:
And he never was a great manager wasnt even a good one, never won a trophy in 15 years.
His 90s 'tactical knowledge' would be well and truly jurassic by now too.

He had England playing the best I've seen since 1990 - had it not been for the press fudging him over Beckham and his weirdo beliefs he'd probably have done quite well.

He had England playing the best I've seen since 1990 - had it not been for the press fudging him over Beckham and his weirdo beliefs he'd probably have done quite well.

Pfft they lost to Romania in the groups at the world cup and then were knocked out in the 2nd round.
Then in the 2000 qualifiers they lost to Sweden and drew with Bulgaria and then Hoddle was sacked.

Pfft they lost to Romania in the groups at the world cup and then were knocked out in the 2nd round.
Then in the 2000 qualifiers they lost to Sweden and drew with Bulgaria and then Hoddle was sacked.

I think England would have gone on to do well at the World Cup had the press not forced him to play Beckham (who he'd been saying for ages wasn't ready for that kind of pressure).

Glenn Hoddle? the king of alienating his players and possibly the most stubborn human being in the world?

Apparently he was a great player (i'm 27 so he was before my day) but as a manager i didn't rate him.

Agreed can you imagine the fuss if we sacked a Pakistani coach because of his religious beliefs, laughable, Hoddle as a manager is a loss to English football imo.

I think England would have gone on to do well at the World Cup had the press not forced him to play Beckham (who he'd been saying for ages wasn't ready for that kind of pressure).

Would agree, since Winterbottom became the first manager of England they have been 17 managers. The only one who has a better win % then Hoddle ( 61%) has been Capello who had 67%.

Not sure what Hoddle's PR people were telling him? Maybe he didn't have any. Maybe he didn't listen.

Hoddle is still wearing jackets that were out of fashion 10 years ago when he is a pundit. His views are just as outdated. Thankfully he and Gerry Francis appear less and less on our screens.

Back