• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: !

Thats 2 people that want to sell Dempsey in the last couple of posts ! The man has scored 3 goals against the top 2 teams in the league !

A lot of people think that if you just score goals, even important ones, it's not enough. Especially if you're a striker.

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

i'd sell only to upgrade and get rid of deadwood.

one thing we've seen this season is that there are still glaring gaps to be addressed, and we don't yet have a squad with enough depth in quality, so we must still build and grow the squad. hopefully we can do most of our rebuilding with our players on loan and the U-21s, so that we can focus our spend on getting one or two players of proven quality.

other than that I think AVB prefers to groom them - and I have complete faith in him that he can.

Re: !

A lot of people think that if you just score goals, even important ones, it's not enough. Especially if you're a striker.

Which would be fine, if all Dempsey did was score goals. It's not. Plus he hasn't been played much as a striker this season. It would be foolish to get rid of Dempsey, he would be an extremely good squad option to have around and it's not like we'd sell him for anything substantial anyway.

As soon as Huddlestone popped a couple of balls over the top -one of which Bale was flagged incorrectly for - the Emirates Marketing Project defenders began to sit a little deeper to cut down the space in behind.
Yes Defoe was a key part of us looking better, because he likes to run in behind. But from the moment Huddlestone began knocking the ball long it made a difference. It's psychological. it was the same with Bale coming right, it gave Clichy more to think about and stopped him from getting forward. When we have Parker/Dembele there is never the threat in behind, not because we don't have the runners, but because we don't play the ball in there quickly and accurately enough.

Football is also about the psychological/mental aspect, not just the physical. If yesterday's game was a chess match, then AVB was Magnus Carlsen, positioning for a winning end game. I wasn't impressed with the starting line up...but credit to AVB he read the game and made the right changes..

=D>

Thats 2 people that want to sell Dempsey in the last couple of posts ! The man has scored 3 goals against the top 2 teams in the league !

How would he fit in if we get the creative CM that everyone seems to think we are after and a new Striker? If we play 4-3-3 he would not get a look in and also in a 4-2-3-1 as Bale will occupy Dempseys natural position.

I think Dempsey is a good player and has been important for us this season but i feel if we get Champs league we need to upgrade on these type of players.

How would he fit in if we get the creative CM that everyone seems to think we are after and a new Striker? If we play 4-3-3 he would not get a look in and also in a 4-2-3-1 as Bale will occupy Dempseys natural position.

I think Dempsey is a good player and has been important for us this season but i feel if we get Champs league we need to upgrade on these type of players.

Dempsey best position is on the left cutting in, exactly where he played for fulham.

Well seeing as he hasn't played in the CM role and he's only been our third choice striker they are kind of irrelevant. If we play 4-3-3 he would play as the left or right forward. I'm not saying he should be first choice, however he would be an extremely valuable squad member.

We played 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 yesterday. He fit into both of them positionally whilst Bale was playing. Granted the 4-2-3-1 was not majorly successful, however that was more down to the lack of width on the opposite side.

We do need to upgrade on these sorts of players, he should not be in our starting eleven if everyone is match fit, however that does not mean there is no place in the squad for him.

Anyone who can't see the value of Dempsey in our squad is crazy, and even if you fail to see this you're dreaming if you think he will be sold in the summer....

Anyone who can't see the value of Dempsey in our squad is crazy, and even if you fail to see this you're dreaming if you think he will be sold in the summer....

I agree.

Selling him in the summer would be stupid in my view. He may not be the prettiest of footballers but he is a crucial part to our team when he does play. If he's not scoring goals he's doing something important that leads to a goal, whether that's being fouled for a free kick, setting up the goal with a pass or just dragging defenders out of place. Works ridiculously hard too. He deserves to stay based on the Basel performance alone.

Dempsey is a weird player. He's certainly effective and doesn't hide. Neville cracked me up when he said, why is Dempsey playing in the hole behind the striker. You have to be really good to play there

Hopefully/maybe Bale in behind, with Dempsey in from the left and Lennon providing the width on the right behind the striker can see us through to the end of the season playing well. Bale can roam to where he can be most effective, Dempsey doesn't have to shoulder the creative burden and can focus on being in the right place at the right time, and Lennon can keep doing what he has always been doing.

Harsh on Sig, who I love, but maybe Dempsey may be slightly more effective when the pressure is on, and while Dempsey could say his best position is out left cutting in, Sig would prefer to be in the middle. Therefore he's a good option to have to cover Bale in behind, or if Lennon isn't playing then Bale can go right, and Sig takes the centre spot.

Call me crazy but I would still like to see Bale playing left once in a while.

Call me crazy but I would still like to see Bale playing left once in a while.

Just playing in wide positions for me.. When he gets stuck central, constantly trying to make runs in behind, our play becomes very congested.

As long as he's drifting out wide, either left or right, space will be freed up and we will create chances. Second half against bricky illustrated this perfectly really.

Dempsey is a weird player. He's certainly effective and doesn't hide. Neville cracked me up when he said, why is Dempsey playing in the hole behind the striker. You have to be really good to play there

neville was right though

i think we know now where dempseys position is

shadow wing forward from the left

AVB has been a fantastic success for us. Maybe the Europa "loss" keeps him here for next season whereas if we had won who knows? We will probably get a record amount of EPL points this season and should get ECL next season.
Can't see him still at Spurs 2014-5.

He won't get the budget or the freedom he requires in the transfer market with us.

Clueless Spanish Waiter, anyone other than deluded Pool fans still thinks the guy is a decent manager in England?

AVB will be here for a while, young, high profile enough club without the stupid pressure and idiot egos, he needs to repair the damage from Cheat$ki and that means something more than achieving what Redknapp (and/or Jol) did at Spurs. He needs to win something, make us consistent CL players

Back