• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Dempsey is a weird player. He's certainly effective and doesn't hide. Neville cracked me up when he said, why is Dempsey playing in the hole behind the striker. You have to be really good to play there

dempsey is probably too smart for the team - from his passes and assists you know he is looking for the odd angle, the dink behind the defender's run, to outsmart the defence to score. conversely he gets into these good positions and ready to pounce, but our supply lines are never creative enough to provide.

i know its too early to talk about thudd and holtby starting games, but I think dempsey would thrive with players like them who are able to slice defences open with a single pass - if the don't get too obsessed with making the 100% safe sideway pass.

when we play tippy tappy footy for ages in front of the opponents defence, with them just sitting pretty, mulling around and admiring our sideways football, even van persie would find it hard to create space for himself to score.

I for one believe Dempsey brings a lot to the team (seems to be the in thing on this board to put him down)

Works his ass off, no matter where the manager decides to stick him, scores important goals and puts himself in the right positions. The first goal against City was the type of goal we have been missing for as long as I can remember, just someone making the run into the box, looking for the cross/scraps.

dempsey is probably too smart for the team - from his passes and assists you know he is looking for the odd angle, the dink behind the defender's run, to outsmart the defence to score. conversely he gets into these good positions and ready to pounce, but our supply lines are never creative enough to provide.

i know its too early to talk about thudd and holtby starting games, but I think dempsey would thrive with players like them who are able to slice defences open with a single pass - if the don't get too obsessed with making the 100% safe sideway pass.

when we play tippy tappy footy for ages in front of the opponents defence, with them just sitting pretty, mulling around and admiring our sideways football, even van persie would find it hard to create space for himself to score.

Agreed, we are so slow with the forward pass that the game compresses, its alright catching people on the break but that is all we have, I dont know if now is the time to start introducing a bit of Tom but I personally would, even if its for the last 30.

Don't think we need Dempsey, Sig and Holtby in the squad. Especially when you think we need to buy a truly creative central midfielder in the summer as well.

Don't think we need Dempsey, Sig and Holtby in the squad. Especially when you think we need to buy a truly creative central midfielder in the summer as well.

Er, how many players are you thinking we'll buy in the summer? We're not going to replace those three in addition to fixing other issues.

Strength in depth is the key, if we're going to sell those three we're not going to have it.

They are starters in my best XI. Or maybe Parker 45 mins then Holtby. But a creative midfielder with those guys is a must. Thudd is working well but an upgrade could well be the thing to lift us from top 5 to top 2/3.

Dempsey is a very versatile player, workhorse, support striker and scores goals, absolutely see no sensible reason to sell him (especially in light of the other purchases we will need to make)
Holtby was obviously bought with the future and AVB's needs in mind, no way we are going to sell in summer
Siggy is now settling in, not likely to go, unless we get a better direct replacement.

Summer is likely

- Gallas +bunch of fringe players moving on (Gomes/Bentley/etc.)
- One of Ade/JD likely to move on
- Big name striker in
- CM (ala Moutinho) in

- Decisions around Hudd, Rose, Townsend, Carroll

AVB has been a fantastic success for us. Maybe the Europa "loss" keeps him here for next season whereas if we had won who knows? We will probably get a record amount of EPL points this season and should get ECL next season.
Can't see him still at Spurs 2014-5.

Why would losing to Basle have kept AVB here?

He wouldn't have been going anywhere regardless. These Real Madrid stories are a load of nonsense, IMO. He wasn't ready cope with the egos, the politics and the media glare at Chelsea so he's a million miles off being able to cope with being the main man at Real Madrid. Maybe in five or ten years. But not now.

Spurs is the perfect club for him to spend the next five seasons at least. He will still have only just turned 40 by then.

Speaking of which:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-andre-villas-boas-dismisses-real-1853640?

Surreal Madrid: Spurs' Andre Villas-Boas dismisses talk he will succeed Jose Mourinho at the Bernabeu
25 Apr 2013 22:30
The Tottenham boss worked for Special One at Chelsea and Inter but wants to put down roots after short stints at Porto and Stamford Bridge

Andre Villas-Boas has snubbed interest from Real Madrid, insisting: "I'm only interested in lasting more than a year at one club!"

The Spurs manager's odds have shortened on a move to the Bernabeu, with his former boss Jose Mourinho set to leave the Spanish giants this summer.

But AVB quipped: "At the moment, I am very, very focused on trying to get another year at one club. The same club!"

Villas -Boas quit after just one glittering season in charge at Porto, where he lifted the title and Europa League, to move to Chelsea.

He was sacked, however, just 10 months into his Stamford Bridge reign.

The Portuguese, who worked for Mourinho at Chelsea and Inter Milan, then took over at Spurs last July after the White Hart Lane club axed Harry Redknapp.

He added: "I have a contract. I was given an opportunity and was extremely grateful.

"The speculation about Real Madrid comes from the coach having speculation all over the world about his exit - Real Madrid are looking for a coach and the coach there is under a contract.

"The fact he made it public that he is looking for an exit has ended up with a lot of speculation. For me, it is always an honour, but I am completely focused.

"When everybody signs a contract, you are expected to do it until the end. The contract can end with you sometimes still at the club. But sometimes things have to happen. It has happened to me - both situations."

Villas-Boas did, however, admit he is keen to sample management in another country later in his career.

He said: "Yes. Definitely. Brazil."

Last edited:

I for one believe Dempsey brings a lot to the team (seems to be the in thing on this board to put him down)

Works his ass off, no matter where the manager decides to stick him, scores important goals and puts himself in the right positions. The first goal against City was the type of goal we have been missing for as long as I can remember, just someone making the run into the box, looking for the cross/scraps.

I think technically he isn't great which is why he looks lost and he isn't quick but you can't fault his effort and he doesn't hide. He out scored and out assisted Hazard and Oscar (possibly combined but m not sure) and he has hardly been flying. He was also cheap!!!

The big thing is he scores important goals and that's a knack that Fergie once said made VDV so importantly he doesn't score the last in a 5 nil like Walcnut, he scores the winner in a 3-2 at Old Trafford

Why would losing to Basle have kept AVB here?

He wouldn't have been going anywhere regardless. These Real Madrid stories are a load of nonsense, IMO. He wasn't ready cope with the egos, the politics and the media glare at Chelsea so he's a million miles off being able to cope with being the main man at Real Madrid. Maybe in five or ten years. But not now.

Spurs is the perfect club for him to spend the next five seasons at least. He will still have only just turned 40 by then.

When you are 35, 40 seems old and grey. Hope you are right, think I am.

I think technically he isn't great which is why he looks lost and he isn't quick but you can't fault his effort and he doesn't hide. He out scored and out assisted Hazard and Oscar (possibly combined but m not sure) and he has hardly been flying. He was also cheap!!!

The big thing is he scores important goals and that's a knack that Fergie once said made VDV so importantly he doesn't score the last in a 5 nil like Walcnut, he scores the winner in a 3-2 at Old Trafford

Dempsey scores big goals. Not on topic but when are we gonna have big win? We have scored 85 this season-it would be great to get the ton up.

When you are 35, 40 seems old and grey. Hope you are right, think I am.

Did you read his interview from today? He wants to stay at Spurs for a while.

And which club would he leave for? Please tell me that you don't believe this Real Madrid story.

Er, how many players are you thinking we'll buy in the summer? We're not going to replace those three in addition to fixing other issues.

Strength in depth is the key, if we're going to sell those three we're not going to have it.

Er, you read it wrong. I don't think we need all three.

Dempsey is a very versatile player, workhorse, support striker and scores goals, absolutely see no sensible reason to sell him (especially in light of the other purchases we will need to make)
Holtby was obviously bought with the future and AVB's needs in mind, no way we are going to sell in summer
Siggy is now settling in, not likely to go, unless we get a better direct replacement.

Summer is likely

- Big name striker in
- CM (ala Moutinho) in

I can see the value in all of them, I would just like us to buy someone creative who is a level above them all. If that's central then one of those three will struggle to get matches. Could be a creative wide forward we buy, maybe from the left with Bale in the middle and they can alternate. Or maybe at Lennon's expense on the right, though I like him a lot as well.

Summer is likely

- Big name striker in
- CM (ala Moutinho) in

How exactly do you propose we keep all these midfielders happy (especially as you also propose we sign a starting CM)? I mean there is such thing as overkill and this would definitely be a case of it.

If we stick with 4-2-3-1 that would be

*NEW Creative player
*Sandro
*Parker
*Dembele
*Dempsey
*Bale
*Townsend
*Holtby
*Sigurddson
*Lennon

10 players competing for 5 spots. You then have to look at the calibre of players in that list and you would soon realise that these are all players that expect to start and would be starting at other premiership teams with ease. There's no way players of this standard will accept sitting on the bench for a lengthy period (some of them wouldn't even be making the matchday squad if we kept all of those).

Personally speaking, i do think we need a new CM (Or wide right/left creative player) but that would mean one of Sigurddson or Dempsey would be sacrificed imo and i would prefer we kept Sig. 9 players competing for 5 spots is doable and we also have the advantage of quite a lot of these players being able to cover multiple positions.

Last edited:
Back