• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB On Reals Madrid's Short List For New Manager

choosing the right defenders for the opponents we are facing each week has been working well for most the season, don't think it should be deemed negative because a couple of bad results.

Playing a high line with Friedel AND Gallas was the problem, not the rotation itself

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

But defensively we've been consistently good this season in my opinion

I agree.

The Inter game isn't one to base tactical analysis or opinions on, the entire team didn't perform. As individuals the players didn't show up. People talk about Friedel and Gallas, and yes Gallas had one of his worst games in a Spurs shirt, but both players played in the home game against Inter where our performance was excellent.

Against Liverpool we also performed very well for long periods of the game and defensively we were undone by individual errors, not by the organization.

I haven't seen any interviews with AVB yet, but I will be very interested to see what he says if he's asked about squad rotation.

Playing Parker and Dembele for 5 straight games in two weeks is entirely on him and we could see the results today.

Injuries are no excuse either, we've known about Sandro being out for the rest of the season since mid January. We have no other real central midfield injury unless Hudd is out again. The only other injury is Lennon, that injury made AVB play Dembele right against Inter I suppose (for sure Dembele would have started against Liverpool regardlesS). That's no more injuries than you have to expect.

I really hope we see Dembele and Parker rotated a bit when we start up again after the internationals, especially if we progress in the EL. We can't just continue to run them into the ground like this and not expect the same result as today against Fulham.

Is this the correct thread to question AVB's team selections?

As soon as Lennon was out, AVB smashed up the entire team shape, sticking Dembele wide right against Liverpool and Inter.

Playing the pass-masters Parker and Livermore in the middle for GHod's sake.

Oh I nearly forgot, he decides to go 442 with both Defoe and Adebayor up top away at the San Siro?

My nan knows not to do that, and she's been dead 20 years.

And to top it all off he goes with Friedel in goal and Gallas playing a high line.

Unbelievably awful line up against Inter and we got the drubbing that deserved.

AVB said after the Inter game that lessons had been learnt from the drubbing, so he obviously had a master plan.

BAE in midfield! Jesus wept and so did BAE. He had no idea what to do, it was horrible to watch. To make this masterswitch meant having to play Vertonghen at left back as well.

The guys were knackered, it was a useless line up, why did we not just play BAE at the back and Sigurdsson on the left?

Just because Lennon is out, you don't need to change the entire team, that is what Redknapp used to do.

We had Holtby Carroll and Dempsey all sitting it out, whilst playing a load of clearly knackered lads. So galling to see our backup winger Townsend playing for another club, just mind boggling really.

Awful line up.

OK I'll sign off on a positive - we did change things at half time because it was so awful - in fact NO, we changed it because Dawson got injured. Yippee. Well done AVB.

Maybe next game we can play 'ANYONE' right midfield and keep the rest of the team in their favoured positions? Radical I know. Naughton even. Carroll. Freund.

He has himself 2 weeks now have a good think before the next game.

If we are having a wobble at least one positive is the international break has come at the perfect time. I know some will have a two week break but hopefully for the ones on duty a change is as good as a rest. Lennon, Dawson, Bale hopefully will get pulled.

Anyone fancy doing a list of who's away and what their itinerary looks like.

Is this the correct thread to question AVB's team selections?

As soon as Lennon was out, AVB smashed up the entire team shape, sticking Dembele wide right against Liverpool and Inter.

Playing the pass-masters Parker and Livermore in the middle for GHod's sake.

Oh I nearly forgot, he decides to go 442 with both Defoe and Adebayor up top away at the San Siro?

My nan knows not to do that, and she's been dead 20 years.

And to top it all off he goes with Friedel in goal and Gallas playing a high line.

Unbelievably awful line up against Inter and we got the drubbing that deserved.

AVB said after the Inter game that lessons had been learnt from the drubbing, so he obviously had a master plan.

BAE in midfield! Jesus wept and so did BAE. He had no idea what to do, it was horrible to watch. To make this masterswitch meant having to play Vertonghen at left back as well.

The guys were knackered, it was a useless line up, why did we not just play BAE at the back and Sigurdsson on the left?

Just because Lennon is out, you don't need to change the entire team, that is what Redknapp used to do.

We had Holtby Carroll and Dempsey all sitting it out, whilst playing a load of clearly knackered lads. So galling to see our backup winger Townsend playing for another club, just mind boggling really.

Awful line up.

OK I'll sign off on a positive - we did change things at half time because it was so awful - in fact NO, we changed it because Dawson got injured. Yippee. Well done AVB.

Maybe next game we can play 'ANYONE' right midfield and keep the rest of the team in their favoured positions? Radical I know. Naughton even. Carroll. Freund.

You can always question them, there's probably always something else that could have been done that would have changed the ultimate outcome, although I think today, the problem was more that we simply couldn't string passes together. We can also question changes but also look at the theory behind them. If the theory behind playing BAE at left mid was to give the team someone that does damage by staying wide and to give Bale space, then it does make sense to be fair. You have to try these things before realising that they may not work.

Dempsey on the left didn't exactly do much better once he was on, and he had a whole half to make some sort of impact, but he didn't. So it's not as if starting him there was definitely the right move.

Parker and Livermore was our central midfield when we deserved to win at Liverpool - I don't think that's necessarily a terrible decision to play them together.

Defoe and Ade together - to be honest it's not that different to when we've been playing Bale there, because IMO Bale has very much been up top as a striker and not really helping out midfield too much. Defoe and Ade isn't too different because one of them will drop in.

Dembele wide right - I guess AVB wants to have someone in the team capable of beating a man from a wide position. Not a terrible idea and as discussed - we deserved to win at Liverpool with him there.

Friedel and Gallas combined with high line - yeah, didn't work. I guess the thinking though is that to change the way of playing that has been working for the last few months would be more risky than adjusting for these two. But didn't work. I also suspect Friedel has been working on playing in a high line system and wouldn't have gotten a new contract had he not shown some aptitude for it in training. Plus, it seemed to work well enough in the first leg via Inter.

-------------

I think the problem today was not really tactical or tiredness. Naughton, Caulker, Bale, Benny and arguably Sig haven't played much football this season and shouldn't be that tired. The tactics could have worked in theory, but the players just didn't know how to string two passes together. It was strange. I think a lot of players are carrying injuries and it means they are playing within themselves. Dembele needing to come off, Bale looked well below par, Defoe is probably patched up and sent out there every time and it can't be easy for him.

Just a bad day at the office all around. The break has come at a good time.

passed his first test - integration - but now faced with the second - hitting the limits of the team.

will be interesting to see how he is going to respond given that he has said all the time that we are good enough to go for both the Europa league and the CL placings.

injuries and the next two week are going to be crucial.

If we had won 3-0 with Benny providing the crosses for 2 of the goals it would have been hailed as a masterstroke such is the fine line between success and failure, what irritates me is how we can have so much possession and create feck all.

You can always question them, there's probably always something else that could have been done that would have changed the ultimate outcome, although I think today, the problem was more that we simply couldn't string passes together. We can also question changes but also look at the theory behind them. If the theory behind playing BAE at left mid was to give the team someone that does damage by staying wide and to give Bale space, then it does make sense to be fair. You have to try these things before realising that they may not work.

Dempsey on the left didn't exactly do much better once he was on, and he had a whole half to make some sort of impact, but he didn't. So it's not as if starting him there was definitely the right move.

Parker and Livermore was our central midfield when we deserved to win at Liverpool - I don't think that's necessarily a terrible decision to play them together.

Defoe and Ade together - to be honest it's not that different to when we've been playing Bale there, because IMO Bale has very much been up top as a striker and not really helping out midfield too much. Defoe and Ade isn't too different because one of them will drop in.

Dembele wide right - I guess AVB wants to have someone in the team capable of beating a man from a wide position. Not a terrible idea and as discussed - we deserved to win at Liverpool with him there.

Friedel and Gallas combined with high line - yeah, didn't work. I guess the thinking though is that to change the way of playing that has been working for the last few months would be more risky than adjusting for these two. But didn't work. I also suspect Friedel has been working on playing in a high line system and wouldn't have gotten a new contract had he not shown some aptitude for it in training. Plus, it seemed to work well enough in the first leg via Inter.

-------------

I think the problem today was not really tactical or tiredness. Naughton, Caulker, Bale, Benny and arguably Sig haven't played much football this season and shouldn't be that tired. The tactics could have worked in theory, but the players just didn't know how to string two passes together. It was strange. I think a lot of players are carrying injuries and it means they are playing within themselves. Dembele needing to come off, Bale looked well below par, Defoe is probably patched up and sent out there every time and it can't be easy for him.

Just a bad day at the office all around. The break has come at a good time.

Woah, that is a pretty apologetic post mate. I don't think you can just say it was a "bad day at the office" or "the players just didn't know how to string two passes together"... there are reasons for that.

I.e. the system was broken, people didn't move into the areas they should, passes were not available because the team shape was wrong, players out of position make bad choices as they are unsure.

All of this is down to AVB's meddling with the team.

He could have chosen one player out of position, but chose to play four players out of position. He chose 5 defenders at home to Fulham. This is not acceptable to me, not after Inter and Liverpool.

I like the guy and think he is good, but the last three teams selected have been wrong from the outset IMO.

There is no point congesting the middle against a team that sits deep. Then the only way to break them down is a 30 yard Bale wonder strike we have grown used to.

There is a reason we are relying on Bale to do this - we aren't getting behind teams properly.

Swinging a deep cross onto the head of big defenders like Hangeland is pointless - you need to move the defence around, get in behind and cut LOW FAST CROSSES back to the strikeforce/midfield.

I think the last two have been wrong.
He clearly got it right at Liverpool; individual errors are not down to him per se.

But yes, his last two team selections have been odd and off-kilter.

I believe he is a fast-learner and we won't see their like again (unless his hand is forced in an ugly fashion by circumstance of injury, fatigue, etc)...

on the other hand he may be grappling with injuries/illness.
whatever it is we always knew that we were short upfront and on both wings.
but i don't think its levy or avb directly to blame - we're skint! the stadium comes first.

Woah, that is a pretty apologetic post mate. I don't think you can just say it was a "bad day at the office" or "the players just didn't know how to string two passes together"... there are reasons for that.

I.e. the system was broken, people didn't move into the areas they should, passes were not available because the team shape was wrong, players out of position make bad choices as they are unsure.

All of this is down to AVB's meddling with the team.

He could have chosen one player out of position, but chose to play four players out of position. He chose 5 defenders at home to Fulham. This is not acceptable to me, not after Inter and Liverpool.

I like the guy and think he is good, but the last three teams selected have been wrong from the outset IMO.

There is no point congesting the middle against a team that sits deep. Then the only way to break them down is a 30 yard Bale wonder strike we have grown used to.

There is a reason we are relying on Bale to do this - we aren't getting behind teams properly.

Swinging a deep cross onto the head of big defenders like Hangeland is pointless - you need to move the defence around, get in behind and cut LOW FAST CROSSES back to the strikeforce/midfield.

I don't think he wanted to congest the middle, hence the selection of Benny at left wing. I don't think the plan also was to ping deep crosses in to the heads of Senderos and Hangeland either.

As Siggy has said this week, it just felt like the whole team was flat. There was no real good movement, everything was to feet instead of sometimes into space and I think a lot of players were carrying knocks that made them play well below par, Bale being the obvious.

I think it was 'one of those games' because I'm reasonably sure that if we had played a system with say Bale on the left and most players 'in position', I don't think the result would have been that different. It was a mental thing, not tiredness necessarily, just that the players found it hard to raise themselves, to get the burst of inspiration.

I'll give a possible explanation - I was worried about our future coming games while we were playing so well against Inter at the Lane. Usually, consistent teams don't smash every team, even the smaller ones, by multiple goals every match. They a lot of the time have poorer games but get the result and move on. I think a lot of the time in our good run, we've focused on being solid and not too swashbuckling and it's allowed 'room' in the mind to continue to drag out winning performances when needed. By restricting the high, you don't get as much certainty for the low. Last season I think we went completely for the highs when we could take them, smashing even smaller teams and it meant the lows to me weren't that surprising. So this season, we have focused on being consistent, tactical and grinding out results when need be.

But the Inter game, I sensed we were playing almost too well and worried that we might struggle to reach those heights in a game in the near future. I think it's human nature, you get highs and lows will follow. In footballing terms, it manifests itself in inspiration on the pitch. The quick passing and movement we saw against Inter was nowhere to be seen against Fulham, and I don't think such a drastic difference was purely tactical. Ordinarily, we could maybe hold off a bit, be happy with a 2 goal lead and remain solid to take the points in the league, but a 2 legged cup competition against a massive team means you want to take as much advantage of the home leg as possible, so we continued to eek out every moment of inspiration we could in that match.

Think of Chelsea last year, they'd raise themselves for the CL matches then lose at home to Saudi Sportswashing Machine or something like that. I realise this sounds like psychobabble but I think it's true, it's hard for players to raise themselves after a big effort and nothing much can be done to stop it, you just need to ride it out mentally speaking. The international break could have come at a brilliant time for us.

I don't think he wanted to congest the middle, hence the selection of Benny at left wing. I don't think the plan also was to ping deep crosses in to the heads of Senderos and Hangeland either.

As Siggy has said this week, it just felt like the whole team was flat. There was no real good movement, everything was to feet instead of sometimes into space and I think a lot of players were carrying knocks that made them play well below par, Bale being the obvious.

I think it was 'one of those games' because I'm reasonably sure that if we had played a system with say Bale on the left and most players 'in position', I don't think the result would have been that different. It was a mental thing, not tiredness necessarily, just that the players found it hard to raise themselves, to get the burst of inspiration.

I'll give a possible explanation - I was worried about our future coming games while we were playing so well against Inter at the Lane. Usually, consistent teams don't smash every team, even the smaller ones, by multiple goals every match. They a lot of the time have poorer games but get the result and move on. I think a lot of the time in our good run, we've focused on being solid and not too swashbuckling and it's allowed 'room' in the mind to continue to drag out winning performances when needed. By restricting the high, you don't get as much certainty for the low. Last season I think we went completely for the highs when we could take them, smashing even smaller teams and it meant the lows to me weren't that surprising. So this season, we have focused on being consistent, tactical and grinding out results when need be.

But the Inter game, I sensed we were playing almost too well and worried that we might struggle to reach those heights in a game in the near future. I think it's human nature, you get highs and lows will follow. In footballing terms, it manifests itself in inspiration on the pitch. The quick passing and movement we saw against Inter was nowhere to be seen against Fulham, and I don't think such a drastic difference was purely tactical. Ordinarily, we could maybe hold off a bit, be happy with a 2 goal lead and remain solid to take the points in the league, but a 2 legged cup competition against a massive team means you want to take as much advantage of the home leg as possible, so we continued to eek out every moment of inspiration we could in that match.

Think of Chelsea last year, they'd raise themselves for the CL matches then lose at home to Saudi Sportswashing Machine or something like that. I realise this sounds like psychobabble but I think it's true, it's hard for players to raise themselves after a big effort and nothing much can be done to stop it, you just need to ride it out mentally speaking. The international break could have come at a brilliant time for us.

I can see what you mean BoL, I've thought similar things but would counter that with the fact that a hammering display is nearly always followed by a flatter display, so maybe the mind plays tricks and you assert that a hammering MEANS we will play flat thereafter, rather than flatter.

Also contrary to your post, for the last half hour of the Spurs v Inter game, Spurs were just coasting along and stopped pressing, stopped the intensity, stopped trying to score - they seemed to believe the commentators who asserted it was game over and there was no possible way Spurs could lose the tie... of course 2 hours later in Milan, it was a very different picture. If only Spurs had continued to press vs Inter at WHL, and got the 4th and 5th goals we could easily have taken, the tie in Italy would have genuinely been easy and thus we would have been up for Fulham.

So the loss to Fulham, for me, is directly linked to coasting against Inter at WHL for the last half hour. I could blame the players or coaching staff for that.

To be honest this is just a blip in form. Every team has it in every season. Generally it is a cause of a combination of factors which in our case has been injuries coupled with a tight and tough fixture schedule meaning AVB had to tinker with the team, meaning he is presented with choices whereas previously the team picked itself as it was winning.

It also coincided with Bale either not playing or playing not so well and also with Lennon being out meaning our two main attacking threats being nullified. Couple that with an off-form Ade and an unfit Defoe and u have what we are left with: 3 defeats in 3 games, two of which were away to teams of similar stature/quality, one of which was a shock.

As per before AVB was presented with decisions to make for the first time in a while and probably made the wrong ones. Teams can go one of two ways after a blip like this, the form degenerates further or we recover and go on another run. This is AVB's first real big test IMO, if he holds his nerve, gets back to basics and doesn't desperately tinker with how we've played all season trying to arrest a slide that he fears I think we'll be ok, if we see more odd team selections as per Sunday I could see us throwing our season away

its not really an Anti AVB - more a 'not scoring enough goals' article which lets be honest is not a secret. Its been our issue this season.

the tone of the article, some clear digs at AVB

"That’s enough mathematical alarm bells to fill one of Villas-Boas’s apocryphal dossiers"

"More dossier fodder for the statistics junkie"

"Tottenham, though, have not managed to keep pace with an Arsenal shorn of Robin van Persie.

Olivier Giroud may still be unconvincing and Gervinho only seems able to do it for his country, but the more mercurial talents of Theo Walcott and Santi Cazorla have compensated. Arsene Wenger’s ‘goals for’ column is only three behind last season’s at the same stage. And four more than Tottenham’s this season."

so Tottenham have not been able to keep pace with Arse in terms of goals?? my GHod we are 4 goals behind despite the "mercurial talents of Theo Walcott and Santi Cazorla" :lol: mercurial Theo!!.... i mean come on, this taco has an agenda against Spurs and is very pro Arse. Poor journalism

its not really an Anti AVB - more a 'not scoring enough goals' article which lets be honest is not a secret. Its been our issue this season.

Spurs have scored 51 goals in the league you know, from 30 games, same as 2nd place Emirates Marketing Project who have Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko, plus Balotelli for half the season whilst weve had top cope with Ade and Defoe

Arse have scored 4 more, Chelsea 7 more, and yet before this weekend we were above them.....

the tone of the article, some clear digs at AVB

"That’s enough mathematical alarm bells to fill one of Villas-Boas’s apocryphal dossiers"

"More dossier fodder for the statistics junkie"

"Tottenham, though, have not managed to keep pace with an Arsenal shorn of Robin van Persie.

Olivier Giroud may still be unconvincing and Gervinho only seems able to do it for his country, but the more mercurial talents of Theo Walcott and Santi Cazorla have compensated. Arsene Wenger’s ‘goals for’ column is only three behind last season’s at the same stage. And four more than Tottenham’s this season."

so Tottenham have not been able to keep pace with Arse in terms of goals?? my GHod we are 4 goals behind despite the "mercurial talents of Theo Walcott and Santi Cazorla" :lol: mercurial Theo!!.... i mean come on, this taco has an agenda against Spurs and is very pro Arse. Poor journalism

It's even more annoying since lately he's come out and said he doesn't like statistics...why on earth would they call him a statistics junkie?

Back