• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Spurs have scored 51 goals in the league you know, from 30 games, same as 2nd place Emirates Marketing Project who have Aguero, Tevez, Dzeko, plus Balotelli for half the season whilst weve had top cope with Ade and Defoe

Arse have scored 4 more, Chelsea 7 more, and yet before this weekend we were above them.....

So going by the stats - why the hell do any of us even want a striker eh? I mean after all we are what top five top scorers in the league right?

I was ultimately commenting on the article

AVB isnt really beyond criticism specifically based on the last two (you can argue liverscum game too with dembele right) games.

I can see what you mean BoL, I've thought similar things but would counter that with the fact that a hammering display is nearly always followed by a flatter display, so maybe the mind plays tricks and you assert that a hammering MEANS we will play flat thereafter, rather than flatter.

Also contrary to your post, for the last half hour of the Spurs v Inter game, Spurs were just coasting along and stopped pressing, stopped the intensity, stopped trying to score - they seemed to believe the commentators who asserted it was game over and there was no possible way Spurs could lose the tie... of course 2 hours later in Milan, it was a very different picture. If only Spurs had continued to press vs Inter at WHL, and got the 4th and 5th goals we could easily have taken, the tie in Italy would have genuinely been easy and thus we would have been up for Fulham.

So the loss to Fulham, for me, is directly linked to coasting against Inter at WHL for the last half hour. I could blame the players or coaching staff for that.

Could you just clarify your first line for me mate - are you meaning if we dish out the hammering or if we take it? Just trying to make sure I understand what you mean.

It's interesting to consider the fact that we maybe took the foot off the gas a bit in the later stages of the Inter first leg. I still remember us having opportunities to break away and we could have had 5 if it wasn't for bad final ball choices or finishing. But maybe the psychology comes in to it in that the memory of the game and being out there and the good feeling that comes from it afterwards - it's linked to the overall perception of the performance and result. So 'we played Inter off the park and smashed them 3-0' is the prevailing message in the mind, and then becomes very difficult to live up to again in the next matches. We deserved to beat Liverpool, but the individual mistakes were maybe the low in the psyche of the team trying to get out.

I was saying to my mates when we were 1-0 up going into injury time at Everton that something wasn't right, we were simply too comfortable. At the ground of a top 4 rival we were simply knocking the ball about at will and Everton weren't even getting near us. It didn't feel right. Something had to give. I just knew something would happen from somewhere. I think people often put this stuff down to the 'footballing gods' not being on your side but I'd find it really interesting if there was a study conducted into the minds of footballers, particularly as it relates to complacency or inspiration compared to previous or current performances. I can absolutely swear that the Everton equaliser didn't surprise me that much, because I just knew something was up. It was almost too easy, and it shouldn't be that way.

I would say that if we had come away from the Inter first leg with a hard fought 2-0 win that was end to end, and having maybe scored the second on the break in injury time to give us a bit more of a cushion, that our form in the coming weeks would be better for it. The high wouldn't have been too great, the players would have known they would have been in a game and wouldn't be so naturally, perhaps instinctively, inclined to pull back a bit. I have no evidence to base that on, just me theorizing from what has happened in the last couple of weeks, and before in previous seasons.

Is this the correct thread to question AVB's team selections?

As soon as Lennon was out, AVB smashed up the entire team shape, sticking Dembele wide right against Liverpool and Inter.

Playing the pass-masters Parker and Livermore in the middle for GHod's sake.

Oh I nearly forgot, he decides to go 442 with both Defoe and Adebayor up top away at the San Siro?

My nan knows not to do that, and she's been dead 20 years.

And to top it all off he goes with Friedel in goal and Gallas playing a high line.

Unbelievably awful line up against Inter and we got the drubbing that deserved.

AVB said after the Inter game that lessons had been learnt from the drubbing, so he obviously had a master plan.

BAE in midfield! Jesus wept and so did BAE. He had no idea what to do, it was horrible to watch. To make this masterswitch meant having to play Vertonghen at left back as well.

The guys were knackered, it was a useless line up, why did we not just play BAE at the back and Sigurdsson on the left?

Just because Lennon is out, you don't need to change the entire team, that is what Redknapp used to do.

We had Holtby Carroll and Dempsey all sitting it out, whilst playing a load of clearly knackered lads. So galling to see our backup winger Townsend playing for another club, just mind boggling really.

Awful line up.

OK I'll sign off on a positive - we did change things at half time because it was so awful - in fact NO, we changed it because Dawson got injured. Yippee. Well done AVB.

Maybe next game we can play 'ANYONE' right midfield and keep the rest of the team in their favoured positions? Radical I know. Naughton even. Carroll. Freund.

Nail on head, Bullet old boy.

Plus, apart from some early season promise when AVB appeared to have made some real improvement to Defoe's line leading capability (long since evaporated), what worries me most is that not only has he not found the key to unlock Ade from his torpor but also (apart from the arse goals) I really cant see any "coached" movement from our attacking players.

Dembele and Parker often have not options available to them, Lennon and Walker still look like strangers, and Ade and Defoe are more often like statues (either standing needlessly offide, or not offering any feasible ball to them). Our midfielders and full backs dont run in behind, so playmakers like Sig, Carroll and Holty look much worse than they would otherwise with some intellingent movement in front of them.

Time for AVB to demonstrate his tactical and coaching abilities.

Nail on head, Bullet old boy.

Plus, apart from some early season promise when AVB appeared to have made some real improvement to Defoe's line leading capability (long since evaporated), what worries me most is that not only has he not found the key to unlock Ade from his torpor but also (apart from the arse goals) I really cant see any "coached" movement from our attacking players.

Dembele and Parker often have not options available to them, Lennon and Walker still look like strangers, and Ade and Defoe are more often like statues (either standing needlessly offide, or not offering any feasible ball to them). Our midfielders and full backs dont run in behind, so playmakers like Sig, Carroll and Holty look much worse than they would otherwise with some intellingent movement in front of them.

Time for AVB to demonstrate his tactical and coaching abilities.

Mate,

Neither Dembele or Parker move the ball quickly enough. Moussa is not a passer, Scotty isn't either. In order to get behind defences, the ball has to move quickly to a Lennon or Bale. I agree Defoe has gone in reverse recently, and Ade, well GHod knows, but the problem is that without a playmaker we are working other solutions to get through the season (IMO)...when you talk about our full-backs 'not running in behind' what do you mean? Sunday doesn't count. Verts and Benny were clearly in a mess on the left, and our right-side was non-existent, but when we have BAE and Walker in their rightful places, it's not at all uncommon to see them bombing on and being covered. In fact, a lot of Walker's problems this season have come from these sorts of positions (being too far up the pitch and out of position) with Lennon having to double back and cover prodigiously.

Mate,

Neither Dembele or Parker move the ball quickly enough. Moussa is not a passer, Scotty isn't either. In order to get behind defences, the ball has to move quickly to a Lennon or Bale. I agree Defoe has gone in reverse recently, and Ade, well GHod knows, but the problem is that without a playmaker we are working other solutions to get through the season (IMO)...when you talk about our full-backs 'not running in behind' what do you mean? Sunday doesn't count. Verts and Benny were clearly in a mess on the left, and our right-side was non-existent, but when we have BAE and Walker in their rightful places, it's not at all uncommon to see them bombing on and being covered. In fact, a lot of Walker's problems this season have come from these sorts of positions (being too far up the pitch and out of position) with Lennon having to double back and cover prodigiously.

six of one half a dozen of the other. I agree that Dembele and Parker arent the best at finding a quck pass, but their task is made infinitely more difficult by the lack of options in front of them. Parker can find the pass if the run is good enough - ref Lennon's goal v the arse.

Walker and BAE dont run in behind often enough imo. They need to get to the byline and pull the ball back low and hard towards the penalty spot. Ade and Defoe would then know the angle of the cross and make their run accordingly - it really aint rocket science. Mate.

six of one half a dozen of the other. I agree that Dembele and Parker arent the best at finding a quck pass, but their task is made infinitely more difficult by the lack of options in front of them. Parker can find the pass if the run is good enough - ref Lennon's goal v the arse.

Walker and BAE dont run in behind often enough imo. They need to get to the byline and pull the ball back low and hard towards the penalty spot. Ade and Defoe would then know the angle of the cross and make their run accordingly - it really aint rocket science. Mate.

One or two great passes per game and a lot of endeavor. Look, Parker does what he does, but what he doesn't do is play the ball quickly. That's the player he is. I cannot ask him to be Modric (although I thought he had adapted his game when he first came back!)This isn't about a 'defence splitting pass' every single time, it's about moving the ball quickly, not sitting on it, taking a coupe of touches and then playing it sideways. Zidane was brilliant in so many ways, and one of those was knowing when to hold onto the ball and when to release it quickly, if only for a simple three-five yard pass that keeps the game moving with the opposition on the backfoot.

As for the last bit...I'll be sure to pass that on to AVB. Mate.

One or two great passes per game and a lot of endeavor. Look, Parker does what he does, but what he doesn't do is play the ball quickly. That's the player he is. I cannot ask him to be Modric (although I thought he had adapted his game when he first came back!)This isn't about a 'defence splitting pass' every single time, it's about moving the ball quickly, not sitting on it, taking a coupe of touches and then playing it sideways. Zidane was brilliant in so many ways, and one of those was knowing when to hold onto the ball and when to release it quickly, if only for a simple three-five yard pass that keeps the game moving with the opposition on the backfoot.

As for the last bit...I'll be sure to pass that on to AVB. Mate.

I'm starting to think he's got OCD and cannot pass the ball without making at least three pirouettes. :lol:

I'm starting to think he's got OCD and cannot pass the ball without making at least three pirouettes. :lol:

There was one baffling moment last week when he was the man back for the corner, the ball come out to him and he pirouetted when there was no-one near him whatsoever. The act of pirouetting actually lost him time and he found himself under pressure when he could have trapped the ball, looked up and picked the right pass.

Baffling behaviour.

The 'pirouetting' is simply to buy time. Parker is there to keep possession (whether he does it well or not is another discussion) but to simply label it as 'hamster-like behaviour' or 'baffling behavior' I think is unfair and unwarranted. Yeah he has done it unnecessarily on occasions but I would rather he pirouetted and maintained possession than the opposite.

I like his tenacity and whilst he may and should not be first choice and whilst he may not last the full 90 (I think he can) he is useful to have to come on for the last 20 minutes for games.

The 'pirouetting' is simply to buy time. Parker is there to keep possession (whether he does it well or not is another discussion) but to simply label it as 'hamster-like behaviour' or 'baffling behavior' I think is unfair and unwarranted. Yeah he has done it unnecessarily on occasions but I would rather he pirouetted and maintained possession than the opposite.

I like his tenacity and whilst he may and should not be first choice and whilst he may not last the full 90 (I think he can) he is useful to have to come on for the last 20 minutes for games.

I'm not referring to his pirouetting in general (though I'm not the greatest fan) but this specific occasion when it actually lost him time and made things far more difficult.

Parker's problem is he can't turn left. He is not an ambi-turner. If he wants to go that way he needs to pirouet right.

Nobody is denying what he does. Nobody is denying what he does bring. And as I said above, I'm not asking him to be who he isn't. I'm just observing what he doesn't bring and doesn't do, specifically now, as it doesn't help us when we're under-strength. You're right re: hamster-like behaviour, as hamster don't pirouette more than just run in circles...:eek:

I do think AVB should've rested him on Sunday. Regardless of anything, that was his third match in a week and we do need to be careful with him, because when he gets tired, he starts to get a bit daft in possession (as any player would I suppose)...so yeah, AVB should've rested him.

Rorschach...that is an excellent point IMO.

When Modric did it it was effective, smooth and got him out of tight spots with the ball at his feet.

With Parker it looks more like someone who doesn't know what to do and needs time to figure it out. He seems really poor at making quick decisions. He'll either run straight into an opponent or do a little pirouette if there's room.

When Modric did it it was effective, smooth and got him out of tight spots with the ball at his feet.

With Parker it looks more like someone who doesn't know what to do and needs time to figure it out. He seems really poor at making quick decisions. He'll either run straight into an opponent or do a little pirouette if there's room.

Because Modric could do it with his head up, he could see the options. Parker does it staring directly at his feet, so when he does come out of it often he's missed the opportunity for a quick pass and there is another opposition player bearing down on him forcing him to restart his pirouette.

Nobody is denying what he does. Nobody is denying what he does bring. And as I said above, I'm not asking him to be who he isn't. I'm just observing what he doesn't bring and doesn't do, specifically now, as it doesn't help us when we're under-strength. You're right re: hamster-like behaviour, as hamster don't pirouette more than just run in circles...:eek:

I do think AVB should've rested him on Sunday. Regardless of anything, that was his third match in a week and we do need to be careful with him, because when he gets tired, he starts to get a bit daft in possession (as any player would I suppose)...so yeah, AVB should've rested him.

Rorschach...that is an excellent point IMO.

I totaly agree with that point - thats why I think he needs to be rested frequently and he cannot be a first choice starter - maybe against the inferior teams or in the league and FA Cup games. Im gonna kill you regarding your last comment grrrrrrrrrrrr

Rorschach does raise a good point

I totaly agree with that point - thats why I think he needs to be rested frequently and he cannot be a first choice starter - maybe against the inferior teams or in the league and FA Cup games. Im gonna kill you regarding your last comment grrrrrrrrrrrr

Rorschach does raise a good point

\o/

See you at Chich's tomm night?

Parker's problem is he can't turn left. He is not an ambi-turner. If he wants to go that way he needs to pirouet right.

3qligw.jpg

Back