• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Andre Villas-Boas - Head Coach

Re: AVB - Making Tottenham His Own

Because Modric could do it with his head up, he could see the options. Parker does it staring directly at his feet, so when he does come out of it often he's missed the opportunity for a quick pass and there is another opposition player bearing down on him forcing him to restart his pirouette.

Also, Parker receives the ball, looks at the man standing behind or beside him, does his little spin as if to look for another pass, then 9 times out of 10 passes it to the man he was looking at in the first place. He slows up play, big time. It would be much better if he just laid the ball off first time and moved again.

Modric would do his little spin in order to create himself the space to play a pass that wasn't on had he not done the spin, Parker just spins in a circle.

When Modric did it it was effective, smooth and got him out of tight spots with the ball at his feet.

With Parker it looks more like someone who doesn't know what to do and needs time to figure it out. He seems really poor at making quick decisions. He'll either run straight into an opponent or do a little pirouette if there's room.

Maybe so, but Parker is still a great player for us and I am grateful we have him. To compare him against a creative midfielder is grossly unfair too. It's a straw man argument. I can do that too. Modric was brick, because he couldn't do what Glenn Hoddle could do.

Maybe so, but Parker is still a great player for us and I am grateful we have him. To compare him against a creative midfielder is grossly unfair too. It's a straw man argument. I can do that too. Modric was brick, because he couldn't do what Glenn Hoddle could do.

I agree with you and am also grateful we have him as he is a good defensive midfielder.

The reason why he's being compared to modric though is because he's trying to do something he shouldn't be trying to do. Like I said above, he picks the ball up, does a pointless spin then passes the ball sideways or backwards to a player who was available before he does the spin. If parker just played the simple sideways or backwards pass on his first or second touch everytime then the conversation wouldn't be happening. Equally it wouldn't be happening if he done his little spin (in the same way modric did) creating space for himself to pick someone out who wasn't avilable before that.

He's a decent player, who was fantastic for us last season but he needs to realise his limitations this season and go back to what he's really good at, breaking up play and passing the ball early to people who can do things with it that he can't.

I agree with you and am also grateful we have him as he is a good defensive midfielder.

The reason why he's being compared to modric though is because he's trying to do something he shouldn't be trying to do. Like I said above, he picks the ball up, does a pointless spin then passes the ball sideways or backwards to a player who was available before he does the spin. If parker just played the simple sideways or backwards pass on his first or second touch everytime then the conversation wouldn't be happening. Equally it wouldn't be happening if he done his little spin (in the same way modric did) creating space for himself to pick someone out who wasn't avilable before that.

He's a decent player, who was fantastic for us last season but he needs to realise his limitations this season and go back to what he's really good at, breaking up play and passing the ball early to people who can do things with it that he can't.

Firstly he needs someone to pass simply too. Modric was available for him to do that. Secondly AVB is the one who needs to tell him to start overplaying. If AVB isn't telling him to stop, then AVB clearly feels there is nothing wrong with it.

I share your frustration. Parker shouldn't be doing that, but at least he is trying. Dembele needs to be the one to do it and it's time he started.

One or two great passes per game and a lot of endeavor. Look, Parker does what he does, but what he doesn't do is play the ball quickly. That's the player he is. I cannot ask him to be Modric (although I thought he had adapted his game when he first came back!)This isn't about a 'defence splitting pass' every single time, it's about moving the ball quickly, not sitting on it, taking a coupe of touches and then playing it sideways. Zidane was brilliant in so many ways, and one of those was knowing when to hold onto the ball and when to release it quickly, if only for a simple three-five yard pass that keeps the game moving with the opposition on the backfoot.

As for the last bit...I'll be sure to pass that on to AVB. Mate.

Please do. Glad you have his ear.

I said I agree that Dembele and Parker are not the best first time passers in the world, but even Iniesta, Alonso, Gerrard, Carzola, Moutinho, or Modric would have difficulty finding our forwards with their poor positional play and virtually non existant running off the ball.

Firstly he needs someone to pass simply too. Modric was available for him to do that. Secondly AVB is the one who needs to tell him to start overplaying. If AVB isn't telling him to stop, then AVB clearly feels there is nothing wrong with it.

I share your frustration. Parker shouldn't be doing that, but at least he is trying. Dembele needs to be the one to do it and it's time he started.

Interesting points.

When Scotty first came back he was (to my eyes anyway) much crisper, sharper and more efficient. As the season has gone on (and as he has been unwittingly thrust into the first 11 week in week out) he has become more the Scotty of the last half-season last season. I wonder if AVB is giving him instruction? Good question. In conclusion, I think that perhaps he's getting very tired. His endeavor and guts are always admired, and I see the bloke giving it all he's got...I just wish one of he and Moussa were a passer per se. Which is like saying I wish Ade was Drogba or RVN I suppose!

Still, as much as I think Carroll is better suited to that passing game, I agree with Milo that for the sake of safety and what's been working, we should probably just go

Lloris

Walker
Daws
Verts
Benny

Lennon
Scotty
Dembele
Bale

Sigurdsson

Ade

at Swansea...

At our flying best last year we were giving and going moving the ball quickly and deadly. And we could do that because we had the right players to do that- what modders does best. With parker beside him, but all parker had to do was the shielding of the defence.

AVB's approach has been much more circumspect- we move the ball much slower, but we tend to keep possession more and are much more patient in our build up.

Yoou can't expect Scotty to fill the Modric role- he should be doing the same thing he was last year. Where its falling down is playing dembele next to him, pass and move is not Moussa's game either, he loves a little run and dribble and unfortunately that means we miss opportinities to attack as he runs into trouble more often than not.

Its interesting to note that pretty much every time dembele is subbed its for Carrol, very much a mini modric in the making, and whe he's come on we've looked a lot more dangerous. Long term we should be looking to give carrol more game time as he could be the next legend. What baffles me though is we haven't tried holtby in the centre. He is much more experienced even for one so young, and can pick a pass. AVB needs to back him- fulham would have been the perfect game to pitch Lewis in the centre alongside Mouusa.

I'm hoping post international break Lewis is involved more because I'm sure given a run he could really do well.

At our flying best last year we were giving and going moving the ball quickly and deadly. And we could do that because we had the right players to do that- what modders does best. With parker beside him, but all parker had to do was the shielding of the defence.

AVB's approach has been much more circumspect- we move the ball much slower, but we tend to keep possession more and are much more patient in our build up.

Yoou can't expect Scotty to fill the Modric role- he should be doing the same thing he was last year. Where its falling down is playing dembele next to him, pass and move is not Moussa's game either, he loves a little run and dribble and unfortunately that means we miss opportinities to attack as he runs into trouble more often than not.

Its interesting to note that pretty much every time dembele is subbed its for Carrol, very much a mini modric in the making, and whe he's come on we've looked a lot more dangerous. Long term we should be looking to give carrol more game time as he could be the next legend. What baffles me though is we haven't tried holtby in the centre. He is much more experienced even for one so young, and can pick a pass. AVB needs to back him- fulham would have been the perfect game to pitch Lewis in the centre alongside Mouusa.

I'm hoping post international break Lewis is involved more because I'm sure given a run he could really do well.

I think that Dembele is a superior DM to Parker, just because he doesn't fall to ground at every tackle, people don't appreciate the defensive work he does. For me whilst Sandro is out its Moussa + Carroll/Holtby. Parker is detrimental to our game as he can no longer defend and offers nothing going forward.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/22/real-...as-boas-as-jose-mourinho-replacement-3555744/

Just not gonna happen, or possible?? I do wish Real would stop coming after us!!

Not gonna happen.

Not for quite a few years, anyway.

Simply doesn't fit Real Madrid's profile. Doesn't have the gravitas or the experience required to handle such a snake pit of a club, with so many strong characters and big egos among the players and so much machiavellian manoeuvring in the boardroom. He was eaten alive at Chelsea, after all. And Real Madrid is in an altogether different league.

Maybe in four or five years, when he's older, wiser and has won a bit more.

nice pic of AVB:

ay106292925tottenham-hotspu-e1363972264825.jpg

Tottenham will miss out on top four, predicts George Graham
By Sam Lee
24 Mar 2013 08:35:00

The ex-Spurs boss expects that Chelsea and another of his former clubs, Arsenal, will finish above Andre Villas-Boas's men and argues that it would be best for Gareth Bale to stay.

George Graham believes that Tottenham will miss out on a top-four Premier League finish this season but insists that it would not be a disaster.

The 68-year-old, who managed Spurs between 1998 and 2001, feels that Chelsea and Arsenal are in the driving seat because they have easier remaining fixtures and a game in hand.

"Tottenham will be the ones to lose out," Graham told the Daily Mirror. "They have a difficult run-in and they have played a game more than the others. [Arsenal] have recovered of late and it would *appear they have the easiest programme to come.

"But I want to stress that it would be anything but a disaster for Tottenham or make it a poor *season. In fact, I would say the opposite."

Andre Villas-Boas's men had looked assured of a Champions League qualification spot following their north London derby victory against the Gunners on March 3 but two consecutive defeats have changed the complexion of the run-in.

Even so, the Scot argues that Villas-Boas has a lot of which to be proud and hopes that the club can keep hold of star man Gareth Bale.

"He has been *assembling a squad and he has done well to be in such a high *position in the league and still be involved in the Europa League," Graham added of the Portuguese. "He can build on that and I hope he can keep Gareth Bale — for the club's sake and the player's sake.

"It is unfair on Bale to *compare him to the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi. He would really benefit from another season in *England."

-------------------------------------

Have to agree with GG about AVB. Even if we don't make it to CL, it is not fair to judge AVB on this alone. Since this is his first season with us, AVB needs more time to assemble a team who can perform consistently.

I'd swap for Jose and Moddes.....done deal!

I'm not so sure. I have doubts about how our squad or even our entire setup would react to his strict type of management, not to mention his spending. Results aside (a couple of league cups) I think we've looked better lately with the kinds of Jol/Redknapp/AvB at the helm than a Ramos/Hoddle/Graham. Which I believe is more a matter of priority than ability. But it would be interesting, no doubt.

Seriously needs to sort out and stabilise our back four. If this isn't fixed, we can forget any kind of success, IMHO.

Re: AVB On Reals Madrid's Short List For New Manager

I wonder why the back four rotation wasn't picked out as a potential danger or complained about during our unbeaten run?

Back