• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

I think pretty much all of our budget should be sloshed on as near as possible top tier striker or up and coming striker if we can't get the top tier one. I'm not even sure that Townsend and Carroll's progress means that we even need to look at the midfield as I think Holtby's long-term is as a deeper lying midfielder. Against Emirates Marketing Project we looked really good in the 4-3-3.

........................Striker
......Townsend.......................Bale

.....................Dembele
.........Holtby................Sandro

Rose.......Verts.........Kaboul.........Walker

.....................Lloris

We might buy a new left-back depending on the overall opinion of Rose, the press seem to be linking us to this position a lot and i suppose there is no smoke without fire, but Holtby's performance in a deeper midfield role of late along with Carroll's development seem to have put paid to all the links that kept surfacing to midfield play-makers.

The two main links in the press seem to be to strikers and left-backs and i honestly think we may only buy in those two positions in the summer.

Lennon

Agree. Both United results, City home and Basle away majorly down to him. Big game player, reliable..the manager's ideal.

We are linked today to Nico Gaitan, Benfica winger.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...s/130425/inter-milan-move-benfica-ace-196378?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolás_Gaitán

I'm not sure AVB would be interested in a traditional winger. He's still not really resolved the Lennon conundrum.

I think pretty much all of our budget should be sloshed on as near as possible top tier striker or up and coming striker if we can't get the top tier one. I'm not even sure that Townsend and Carroll's progress means that we even need to look at the midfield as I think Holtby's long-term is as a deeper lying midfielder. Against Emirates Marketing Project we looked really good in the 4-3-3.

........................Striker
......Townsend.......................Bale

.....................Dembele
.........Holtby................Sandro

Rose.......Verts.........Kaboul.........Walker

.....................Lloris

We might buy a new left-back depending on the overall opinion of Rose, the press seem to be linking us to this position a lot and i suppose there is no smoke without fire, but Holtby's performance in a deeper midfield role of late along with Carroll's development seem to have put paid to all the links that kept surfacing to midfield play-makers.

The two main links in the press seem to be to strikers and left-backs and i honestly think we may only buy in those two positions in the summer.

Lennon

I like Holtby as a DM, but I think that trio of him, Sandro and Dembele is too defensive/lacking a ballplayer.

I'd like to see any two of those, plus a more creative Moutinho/Clasie type.

How do you guys feel about a midfield trio of Huddlestone, Sandro and Dembele? Pretty strong and an array of abilities.

robcraig on COYS said:

This comes from a current Spurs player- Defoe to Cardiff in the summer. Take it or leave it but if true we must have a few options lined up, although you never know!

How do you guys feel about a midfield trio of Huddlestone, Sandro and Dembele? Pretty strong and an array of abilities.

Not bad, though I'm not sure any of them move the ball quick enough. Huddlestone's a quarterback rather than a ball recycler if that makes sense, which is more what we need for AVB's system.

I honest don't think with his ankle issues that Huddlestone could do more than 20 games a season.

Someone said that last summer, probably the same guy hoping to strike lucky.

Last summer it was more QPR and Sunderland IIRC.

I can't see Defoe leaving his social life in London myself. With QPR out of the picture, Jol not being that much of a fan, and his burnt bridges at West Ham, it limits his options a bit. Watford, Palace or Brighton might be options if any of them get up and have funds for the summer.

Jason Burt ‏@JBurtTelegraph 7m

Wigan v Tottenham for me. Report in Sunday Telegraph. By the way - told no interest from Spurs in either Carroll (Andy not Tom) or Benteke..

He is AVBs mate and a reliable Journo

By no interest in Tom Carroll, does he mean that we don't mind moving him on? Or is there another Tom Carroll?

He said no interest in us signing Andy Carroll or Benteke, didn't mention Tom. Well he did mention Tom, just to say he meant Andy Carroll, not Tom Carroll.

Last edited:
He said no interest in us signing Andy Carroll or Benteke, didn't mention Tom. Well he did mention Tom, just to say he meant Andy Carroll, not Tom Carroll.

Makes sense. As AVB moves us to a possession side it makes less sense having a hold-up forward. We'll need one whose game is all about intelligent movement.

Re Tom Carroll, I think Burt was just playfully championing our young midfielder, acknowledging that he is becoming more high profile. An England manager did this with Ashley Cole (re confusion with Andy Cole that no one had particularly even considered at the time) once I remember.

Last edited:
If avb is changing our system to suit the players he wants what would happen if he left next summer

Mario Gomez would be perfect [-o<

but never, ever going to happen. Wonder where he will go :-k

I'd be happy with that.

Unless AVB and Freund have an undiscovered next Falcao lined up, Gomez for Defoe and Osvaldo for Ade would be about as good as we can realistically hope for.

If avb is changing our system to suit the players he wants what would happen if he left next summer

We'd be in a better place than we were last summer when a coach left us as the only team in Europe set up to persist with 4-4-2.

AVB has already set our youth teams up to play his system, so its being embedded into the whole club. It's what Klinsmann did that created this big revival across German football (i.e. agree a system and get everyone committed to it).

But what if new coach doesnt want this for the youngsters i just hope hes here for a good 10 years too see it through

But what if new coach doesnt want this for the youngsters i just hope hes here for a good 10 years too see it through

It not like we are being set-up to play like Stoke or West Ham. We'd just have to replace AVB with a similarly progressive coach. Like Swansea did with the Martinez-Rodgers-Laudrupt transitions.

Back