• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

And therein lies the rub

Well, we lost Graham Carr to Saudi Sportswashing Machine because of his rift with Redknapp - could be a possible factor, considering how well Saudi Sportswashing Machine have done in getting decent players on the cheap since then. We also lost our club secretary to Man United, though I'm not sure how big of a loss that is. Then you have Comolli, though Comolli is hit-and-miss (indeed, his tactic seems to be to throw money at everyone).

We still don't have a proper head of scouting at this moment.

The other big thing that I don't think is brought up often enough is that the environment for us has changed enormously in the last few years. For one thing, we have improved, which means we must target a higher level of player to improve our first team - and yet we actually have less money to do so, because of rising wages. We had a larger transfer chest than many other clubs in this league because we were maximizing our income streams while minimizing wages - however, that's been squeezed by the impossibility of keeping down wages in a market where we want to compete for top four (seven into four don't go...). So now we have to sell to buy, whereas before we had an extra ~20m every summer or so for transfers.

Moreover - for the last few years, the likes of Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project have been hoovering up the young talent that we would normally set our sights to, since they can just hoard them and loan them out. Meanwhile, Liverpool have fallen to our level but have more money, so now we compete in the same market as them; same goes for clubs like Saudi Sportswashing Machine who have gotten much smarter in the market, while sensible smaller clubs like Swansea and Southampton - who mimic our model, at a lower level - have popped up. So the prices for coveted young players have risen extraordinarily - can you imagine a player like A-OX going for 12m even five years ago?

German teams have the advantage of getting first pick on the young Germans, who are much cheaper and probably amongst the best in the world. Holtby was an exception because he really wanted to come to England, but even the likes of Son Heung-min look like they'd rather stay in Germany. I don't blame them either - it's a great place to develop, with fantastic atmosphere and entertaining games.

My source tells me there's a chap at Internacional who can score a goal or two

I think we should may be take a punt in the summer

We spent less that we got in :-k

I do agree that Lloris, vertonghen, and Dembele were great buys but he needed to back the club more with a striker and a winger. Why did he not do that?

We broke even this year. Lloris, Dembele, Vertonghen, Dempsey, Holtby. All quality buys. All have had a massive affect on our season (bar Holtby as he came in Jan).

We did buy a striker, we bought Ade, who was quality for us last year.

Maybe he knew AVB wanted to move towards a 4-3-3 and that traditional wingers aren't exactly suited for that.

We broke even this year. Lloris, Dembele, Vertonghen, Dempsey, Holtby. All quality buys. All have had a massive affect on our season (bar Holtby as he came in Jan).

We did buy a striker, we bought Ade, who was quality for us last year.

Maybe he knew AVB wanted to move towards a 4-3-3 and that traditional wingers aren't exactly suited for that.

We'll see if we get CL or not. That will be the answer.

My source tells me there's a chap at Internacional who can score a goal or two

I think we should may be take a punt in the summer

Scolari doesn't seem to think so. He prefers 50 yr old Fred! And I think most Spurs fans are pretty sick of that guys name now! lol

To be honest, I think on here, we should be beyond that, we're just fans with differing opinions, and I'm quite enjoying reading the different sides to the debate. Both raise valuable and credible points.

What I meant by the cherry picking comment was, that it's not as straight forward as that. Yes Benteke proved to be a great buy. Villa couldn't have known for sure he would settle in the league and do so well. By the same token, they are rebuilding, aiming for a new team. We are already established as a top 5/6 team in the league. To lose Ade and replace him with an unknown quantity, and this would remain true regardless of how well the scouts would have done their homework, is a risky business and one which could mean we drop right out of the race for the CL spots. Yes in hindsight we can see Ade hasn't contributed largely to the goals column but we know he has been a top striker in this league for 3 different clubs as well as Real. If I was Levy, I wouldn't want to risk losing out. Look at the signings we made when we sold Luka, Rafa etc.

Lloris. One of the best keepers in the world.
Vertonghen. Much sought after world-wide, recognised as a top talent
Dembele. A Premier league proven player who was earning rave reviews.
Dempsey. A Premier League proven goal getting midfielder.
Siggy. A young established Premier League player.

We are risk-averse right now, and with good reason. But I do think there is some wiggle room there. I personally would have liked to have seen a young 'starlet' signed to play up front and challenged Ade and Defoe for their places this season.

Diego seems to be the voice of reason in this. Some very good posts.

Hoot - Redknapp took over and signed Crouch and Defoe (and Keane) - i agree these aren't players on the same level as Berbatov but we were languishing in the bottom half at the time so you have to take that in to account. eventually we managed to shift Keane but in Crouch and Defoe we had a solid pair up front - was you calling for them to be sold/replaced the summer we finished top 4? of course you weren't because at the time they were a part of a very good team and were doing the business for us.

they may not have been on Berba's level - but they helped take us further than when he was here.

same as last season when we had Adebayor up front who i believe possibly contributed more than DB ever did over one premier league campaign (stats wise at least)

Can you imagine where we would be if we had a top striker? Seriously, we would be challenging for the title. Really hope this summer we can finally sort it.

We spent less that we got in :-k

I do agree that Lloris, vertonghen, and Dembele were great buys but he needed to back the club more with a striker and a winger. Why did he not do that?

That wasn't the point.

The point was that Spurs can be trusted to spend big money on new players without wasting it.

That's not to say that all our signings will be successful. But, over the past 8-9 years since we adopted our current buying strategy, we have got it right far more than we have got it wrong. And that's why we have made such good progress in that time.

Can you imagine where we would be if we had a top striker? Seriously, we would be challenging for the title. Really hope this summer we can finally sort it.

or if the one we had had played like the season previous ;)

Back