• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

£50+ million and we're talking. His fee has to cover a top striker + another attacking player and leave some change for one or two young players.

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

I think hindsights a wonderful thing. In a formation employing just 1 up top we signed Ade, had Defoe and went for Damaio. We failed, but got Dempsey.

Ade has not lived up to what we hoped, but when we signed him permanently I was ecstatic. I thought he was and still can be a fantastic, valuable asset.

I think it's crazy to suggest we can cherry pick a Lewandowski or Cavani or Falcao. Many players have great potential. Few achieve it. That's down to coaching, influences and most of all mentality.

I personally feel the answer lies somewhere in between, (as always) Levy and co having to be frugal and not taking of many gambles to upset an already top 4 achieving squad, and not taking enough of a gamble on be or two in the past 5 years or so. Considering outlays on Bentley and Bent.

If someone is suggesting we should have bought an up coming starlet in place of Ade, I'd say you're mad. But perhaps in addition to. After all Ade was an essential part of a side which achieved a top 4 finish.

My take on is that we didn't want to pay £5 million on someone we weren't sure on. Maybe if had been able to get rid of one the strikers we had at the time. For me this is hust as much about Redknapp, but we do not know what was discussed behind the scenes.

Re. Levy, I feel there are some who are desperate to find faults with Levy, to the extent that they surely cannot be happy with him. To me that is extremely short sighted and quite frankly ridiculous. We wouldn't be doing this well without him, but of course the internet connoisseurs of football know everything so much better than those who do this for a living.

He has his good points and his bad points. Not saying he isn't a good chairman, but he has cost us CL places in the last two seasons by not investin in January.

People argued it would be silly to give Redknapp money as he was off in the summer and that he was saving his money for the new guy. Well hey presto, Redknapp leaves and we STILL don't spend money this January despite being in a great position to kick on even further. What's the excuse this time?

but it is still only one position - we had Berbatov, he was replaced after one season with Crouch (& Defoe) (thanks for the reminder Jord) who was instantly replaced by Adebayor who we still have.

so where, really, are these years of poor activity in the forward position that everyone keeps referring. one poor season where we had Frazier Campbell and one season where our 17 goal and 11 assist summer signing has been on the missing and all of a sudden we're brick in the transfer market and our scouts don't know what they're doing (despite other areas of the team getting reinforced with quality)

melodrama if ever ive seen one

How much quality?

We have no LB cover - other than Verts compromise and a right-footed Naughton

We have no creative mid / cover

We have no direct cover for either Bale or Lenon

We have 2 senior strikers and 1 average second striker / attacking mid who is nowhere near good enough to lead the line of a Top 4 challenging team

In my opinion in the summer we need (optimally)

- quality CM / playmaker

- quality LB

- quality #9

did you think Crouch&Defoe - when we was in the lower half of the premier league, was an appalling deal? seemed to cope quite well in the CL . . .

was Adebayor an appaling signing last season when we became the most attractive attacking side in the league?

total hyperbole from plenty of posters on this subject. when we lost Berbatov we lost our DoF at the same time and with it an extensive scouting network. we brought in Redknapp who was able to bring several strikers of his own choosing who all done what was required of them during his time here. all this talk of 5 years and waiting is nonsense

Billy, its been 5 years since Berbatov left. Since then, other than the first abysmal season, when we finished 8th, we've finished 4th, 5th, 4th and will again this season finish 3rd-5th. Our strikers during that time, other than Adebayor last season imo, have been significantly inferior to Berbatov and have not been anywhere near the quality of the teams above us.

whilst we are on the subject of not replacing players adequately can we chuck Jennings, Mackay and Greaves into the mix, how fudging long do they need to fill those holes

My take on it is that we didn't want to pay £5 million on someone we weren't sure on. Maybe if we had been able to get rid of one the strikers we had at the time. For me this is just as much about Redknapp, but we do not know what was discussed behind the scenes.

Re. Levy, I feel there are some who are desperate to find faults with Levy, to the extent that they surely cannot be happy with him. To me that is extremely short sighted and quite frankly ridiculous. We wouldn't be doing this well without him, but of course the internet connoisseurs of football know everything so much better than those who do this for a living.

Ironic considering your conclusive statements on why we didn't sign certain players and why we didn't take certain punts.

Again you've missed the point in your eternal crusade to protect Levy from some constructive criticism - not EVERYTHING he does is perceived as negative - only certain aspects of his transfer policy in general

I think hindsights a wonderful thing. In a formation employing just 1 up top we signed Ade, had Defoe and went for Damaio. We failed, but got Dempsey.

Ade has not lived up to what we hoped, but when we signed him permanently I was ecstatic. I thought he was and still can be a fantastic, valuable asset.

I think it's crazy to suggest we can cherry pick a Lewandowski or Cavani or Falcao. Many players have great potential. Few achieve it. That's down to coaching, influences and most of all mentality.

I personally feel the answer lies somewhere in between, (as always) Levy and co having to be frugal and not taking of many gambles to upset an already top 4 achieving squad, and not taking enough of a gamble on be or two in the past 5 years or so. Considering outlays on Bentley and Bent.

If someone is suggesting we should have bought app coming starlet in place of Ade, I'd say you're mad. But perhaps in addition to. After all Ade was an essential part of a side which achieved a top 4 finish.

Not impossible. Aston Villa found Benteke. Arsenal signed countless players in the 90's and early noughties through great scouting without spending a fortune. I accept we can't afford Cavani or Falcao and it's unrealistic to expect us to get that type of talent, but we play the same game in nearly every window, make an ambitious bid for top players, but we never actually get and we say "oh well we tried".

Of course, his strategy has it's advantages, but It really infuriates me whenever anyone even questions Levy, there is an outrage "how dare you, we would be brick without him". Even if you acknowledge what good things he has done for Spurs. It's like you have to be on board with every decision he makes or you are ungrateful.

Have absolutely no reason to sell bale in summer. If we do may as well just give up.

You can believe that spanish journo 100%. He speaks to Florentino Perez and all that. They are friends.

Didnt say Bale was going to Madrid, said Madrid are going to splash out cash on Gareth Bale. Word for Word. So its not done, but it will be a long transfer window.

Fred Hermel, spanish journo just said a minute ago on radio that Madrid will get the cash out for Bale this summer.

Big Madrid fan and hangs around with Florentino Perez. For me this is terrible news.

Thats the only name he mentionned, when asked what will be the consequences of that defeat.

Said Mourinho & ronaldo dont speak, Mourinho to chelsea, Ancelotti to Madrid.

The elections are coming up for Madrid president position so Florentino Perez will spend before that like he usually does.

Why is it terrible news?

We've known for more than a year that Real Madrid would love to get their hands on Bale and will make a big bid for him this summer. We've also known for more than a year that Bale wants to play abroad at some point in his career and will certainly want to play for a team that can offer him the chance to win major trophies.

This report reveals nothing new. The deal still only gets done if Bale wants to go now and if Madrid make an offer that is acceptable to Levy.

Nothing has changed.

Again, I couldn't care less about Lewandowski. He just happens to be the example for the broader point. For all we know, Archibald could be talking absolute brick.

The point is, Berbatov left 5 years ago, Since then, we've tried Pav, Bent, Campbell, Defoe, Keane, Crouch, Saha and Adebayor.

Not exactly the youngest batch of players, or the most inspiring. Unfortunately, we spent a total of around 70 million quid on that group and GHod knows how much in wages.

In every other position, we've made an attempt to take gambles, buy younger players. A lot of them have worked out and these players now form a core of our squad. Not so unfortunately upfront.

Anyway, as I said, I'm really hoping AVB dazzles us this summer with this rumoured wide group of scouted targets.

See, we have tried. Some were tried and tested at PL and Pav was a fancy foreigner with good stats. The Berbatov/Campbell thing was a clusterfudge, but it has not been for a lack of trying that we haven't found this magical striker that will transform us into title challengers. Redknapp came in, asked for Defoe and Crouch and got them. Defoe got injured and we added Keane. In retrospect a big mistake, but we were desperate at the time. We suddenly have a lot of strikers on our books and we can't just keep adding more. We have to sell some and we don't know why that hasn't happened. Maybe we asked too much, maybe nobody wanted them, maybe they wanted to stay, maybe Redknapp wouldn't let them leave. Redknapp was far too happy with his experienced quartet to make any big pushes for a young, promising striker. Word has it we were offered Cavani at a similarly low price as Lewandowski before he went to Napoli, but Harry himself said no.

How much quality?

We have no LB cover - other than Verts compromise and a right-footed Naughton

We have no creative mid / cover

We have no direct cover for either Bale or Lenon

We have 2 senior strikers and 1 average second striker / attacking mid who is nowhere near good enough to lead the line of a Top 4 challenging team

In my opinion in the summer we need (optimally)

- quality CM / playmaker

- quality LB

- quality #9
it's a work in progress Arc - we weren't exactly left with a strong/balanced/deep squad when Redknapp left and to build one to the level required was never going to get done over one summer, as it turns out we signed Lloris, Vertonghen and Dembele in the summer - 3 first team players of real quality and have also added young players with good potential in Holtby and Sigurdsson. 5 good deals and the type of deals which have me hopeful for the summer window ahead.

Last edited:

People argued it would be silly to give Redknapp money as he was off in the summer and that he was saving his money for the new guy. Well hey presto, Redknapp leaves and we STILL don't spend money this January despite being in a great position to kick on even further. What's the excuse this time?

And we're still buying from the MotD DVD

Back