• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

so then, you would be understanding, say, if our primary target was proving elusive/hard to get or the selling club were playing way too hard to get in January we decided to wait it out till the summer and reassess the situation and go for real talent/potential as opposed to spunking 10 mil up the wall on a stop gap?

We've been wating for 6 years, Billy - and missed 2 CL (heaven forbid 3!) spots due to that, imv

I'm confident Bale will stay for one more season, especially if we get CL qualification. But if the worst was happen and he did leave then we really should be using the deal as leverage to pry one or more stars away from Madrid who lets face it would not otherwise come to a club the stature of Spurs.

...............Just like he did with Modric when Chelsea were all over him like a rash?

Levy is, as you say, a businessman. A very shrewd one at that. And he knows that the best way to grow the club (and therefore his investment) is for it to be successful on the pitch. Success is what drives every revenue stream. So Levy will want to hold on to Bale for as long as he can.

He will only sell when he has no other choice. And, even then, he will only do so if offered way over the odds - as he was for Carrick, Berbatov and Modric.

My only wish is that you are right. I really hope so.

Over the odds for Carrick Berba and Modric? They are great players. We then went on to spend money on terrible players after that.

Re: Gomez vs. Lewandowski-

Lewandowski to me showed the difference between a very good player which Gomez is and a great player. Great players have influence and play well in the big games, 4 goals in the CL semi final vs. Madrid, doesn't get much bigger than that. Whereas Gomez missed boatloads of chances in the final and was anonymous in the semi final of the Euros vs Italy.

Theirry Henry is another player who never played well in the biggest games. Never scored in a single final in his career.

We did sign 5 players from the Prem - that is factually correct

Let me guess - you believe our scouting network and general transfer policy is 100% on the right track?

We've been wating for 6 years, Billy - and missed 2 CL (heaven forbid 3!) spots due to that, imv

we haven't been waiting 6 six years - last season we had someone who more than matched what Berbatov brought to the team in terms of goals/assists - this summer we thought we had that man again, it hasn't worked out so now we look to replace him.

when Redknapp took over we was not in a position to go out and buy ready made Berbatov replacements - we signed two players (3 if you want to include Keane) on long term deals -we can't sign players on contracts like that and throw them away a year or so later. they done their jobs and got us further than Berbatov ever did - we replaced him there and then, it may not have been with players on the same level but we replaced him all the same.

Well, we know he's a better footballer than Bent for a start. That should be obvious.

His link-up play and physicality are certainly better than Bent, but the gulf in class between him and say, Suarez is pretty painful. I see him miss a lot of easy chances too, though you could put that down to his age and rawness.

I'm just not into him - he's not my favored "type" of striker. I don't think our team needs pace+strength these days more than culture on the ball and vision, wit, etc. Not because we don't need the former, but because we're so lacking in the latter. And that is just killing us against the "sit deep, hold tight" teams that come to the Lane.

Re: Gomez vs. Lewandowski-

Lewandowski to me showed the difference between a very good player which Gomez is and a great player. Great players have influence and play well in the big games, 4 goals in the CL semi final vs. Madrid, doesn't get much bigger than that. Whereas Gomez missed boatloads of chances in the final and was anonymous in the semi final of the Euros vs Italy.

Theirry Henry is another player who never played well in the biggest games. Never scored in a single final in his career.

I feel tonight was seriously one of the best striking displays I have ever seen. He was incredible.

We're doing better but we did buy Bentley, bent... Hutton for 9m!!! There is also a big list of bad buys.

Yes....as I already said.....we don't get every decision right. But we get far more right than we get wrong. That is how we have systematically been able to improve our squad over the past 8-9 years and why, despite operating at a huge financial disadvantage to five other clubs, we have made up significant ground on all of them - even overtaking Liverpool.

His link-up play and physicality are certainly better than Bent, but the gulf in class between him and say, Suarez is pretty painful. I see him miss a lot of easy chances too, though you could put that down to his age and rawness.

I'm just not into him - he's not my favored "type" of striker. I don't think our team needs pace+strength these days more than culture on the ball and vision, wit, etc. Not because we don't need the former, but because we're so lacking in the latter. And that is just killing us against the "sit deep, hold tight" teams that come to the Lane.

Agreed. I think he'll end up frustrating an awful lot of people in a Spurs shirt. I could be wrong of course.

Top teams keep their best players and invest.

I know, unfortunately we are not there yet. We can't afford to spend money in the hope we will succeed as it could damage us in the long term. Whereas United, Madrid and Barca all have the income to splash out on players 'in case' they will be good, and if they are not they can afford to absorb the losses.

we haven't been waiting 6 six years - last season we had someone who more than matched what Berbatov brought to the team in terms of goals/assists - this summer we thought we had that man again, it hasn't worked out so now we look to replace him.

when Redknapp took over we was not in a position to go out and buy ready made Berbatov replacements - we signed two players (3 if you want to include Keane) on long term deals -we can't sign players on contracts like that and throw them away a year or so later. they done their jobs and got us further than Berbatov ever did - we replaced him there and then, it may not have been with players on the same level but we replaced him all the same.

How about when Ramos was still in charge? Keane left early and nothing was done. We all knew Berbatov was also going to go - yet waited till deadline day (as every single time) to sign Pav and Campbell.

Players like Modric and Bale got us that one CL finish - along with some good moments from Lennon and Defoe at the right times.

Pav and Crouch were bit time players who costed millions and were never at any point good enough for more than that

Agreed. I think he'll end up frustrating an awful lot of people in a Spurs shirt. I could be wrong of course.

I am actually quite fond of Villa, so he frustrates me despite saving Villa's arses :lol: I like Weimann better, though that is a personal thing. Villa have a number of reasonable young players and play some pretty stuff at times, they've just been thrown together too quickly this season.

Back