• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Why is it terrible news?

We've known for more than a year that Real Madrid would love to get their hands on Bale and will make a big bid for him this summer. We've also known for more than a year that Bale wants to play abroad at some point in his career and will certainly want to play for a team that can offer him the chance to win major trophies.

This report reveals nothing new. The deal still only gets done if Bale wants to go now and if Madrid make an offer that is acceptable to Levy.

Nothing has changed.

True, but tonight for me it just became a bit more real. You know, when you have a top player, you always dream about him staying. Tonight, listening to that hit me.

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

Some of our gambles have been superb though. Most notably Berba and Modric. The players are out there. Being a fan of Football Manager, I play it and these players do come up at 18 or 19 and they were wonderkids.

Modric was a wonderkid at Dinamo, Varane was a wonderkid at Lens, Lewandowski was a wonderkid at Lech. For every Modric though you get a Cherno Samba but at the end of the day you have to take risks. Football Manager is rarely wrong, like seriously. I could tell you some potential world beaters in a few years time, but I at least try and see them play before judging and not judging by a footie game. Like I could have said to you Varane is going to be one of the best centre backs in the world (after seeing him accomplish that in FM) but I wouldn't have said it as i had never even seen him play for Lens. But I've seen him at Madrid and about 3 years after I saw him on FM, I can finally say it.

Ironic considering your conclusive statements on why we didn't sign certain players and why we didn't take certain punts.

Again you've missed the point in your eternal crusade to protect Levy from some constructive criticism - not EVERYTHING he does is perceived as negative - only certain aspects of his transfer policy in general

I'm just offering possible reasons why things are the way they are, trying to see things from a realistic point of view. Things didn't go exactly as I wanted, there's a very good possibility there are reasons for it that I know nothing about, so why go straight into negative, attack mode?

A lot of what is said is far from constructive criticism. It's pretty straight forward 'Levy hasn't got a clue'.

This summer transfer period would be massive for both AVB and Levy, imv - see if the former can live up to his FM-legendary status on here some appear to be suggesting

Not impossible. Aston Villa found Benteke. Arsenal signed countless players in the 90's and early noughties through great scouting without spending a fortune. I accept we can't afford Cavani or Falcao and it's unrealistic to expect us to get that type of talent, but we play the same game in nearly every window, make an ambitious bid for top players, but we never actually get and we say "oh well we tried".

Of course, his strategy has it's advantages, but It really infuriates me whenever anyone even questions Levy, there is an outrage "how dare you, we would be brick without him". Even if you acknowledge what good things he has done for Spurs. It's like you have to be on board with every decision he makes or you are ungrateful.

i kind of agree with your point, but not with the examples, Benteke won't be proven until he has done it over 2/3 seasons, Arsenal paid a lot of money (at the time) for Henry/Overmars/Van Persie/Wiltord etc (they admittedly got Vieira and other French youngsters cheap but only because Wenger had been tapping them up for years)

Last edited:
True, but tonight for me it just became a bit more real. You know, when you have a top player, you always dream about him staying. Tonight, listening to that hit me.

But you were listening to the mouthpiece of only one of the three parties whose agreement is necessary to any deal.

If you hear something from Bale and Levy too, then it might be time to worry.

I'm just offering possible reasons why things are the way they are, trying to see things from a realistic point of view. Things didn't go exactly as I wanted, there's a very good possibility there are reasons for it that I know nothing about, so why go straight into negative, attack mode?

A lot of what is said is far from constructive criticism. It's pretty straight forward 'Levy hasn't got a clue'.

Not so much if he has a clue - more to do with our scouting network in general. Ultimately they'll present names to AVB to take upstairs with Levy for consideration

Levy's policy is all to clear and tha cannot be changed (for now) - however failing to recognise continous weakness and shortfalls both in the team and souting is imv grounds for reasonable concern / criticism

Not impossible. Aston Villa found Benteke. Arsenal signed countless players in the 90's and early noughties through great scouting without spending a fortune. I accept we can't afford Cavani or Falcao and it's unrealistic to expect us to get that type of talent, but we play the same game in nearly every window, make an ambitious bid for top players, but we never actually get and we say "oh well we tried".

Of course, his strategy has it's advantages, but It really infuriates me whenever anyone even questions Levy, there is an outrage "how dare you, we would be brick without him".

To be honest, I think on here, we should be beyond that, we're just fans with differing opinions, and I'm quite enjoying reading the different sides to the debate. Both raise valuable and credible points.

What I meant by the cherry picking comment was, that it's not as straight forward as that. Yes Benteke proved to be a great buy. Villa couldn't have known for sure he would settle in the league and do so well. By the same token, they are rebuilding, aiming for a new team. We are already established as a top 5/6 team in the league. To lose Ade and replace him with an unknown quantity, and this would remain true regardless of how well the scouts would have done their homework, is a risky business and one which could mean we drop right out of the race for the CL spots. Yes in hindsight we can see Ade hasn't contributed largely to the goals column but we know he has been a top striker in this league for 3 different clubs as well as Real. If I was Levy, I wouldn't want to risk losing out. Look at the signings we made when we sold Luka, Rafa etc.

Lloris. One of the best keepers in the world.
Vertonghen. Much sought after world-wide, recognised as a top talent
Dembele. A Premier league proven player who was earning rave reviews.
Dempsey. A Premier League proven goal getting midfielder.
Siggy. A young established Premier League player.

We are risk-averse right now, and with good reason. But I do think there is some wiggle room there. I personally would have liked to have seen a young 'starlet' signed to play up front and challenged Ade and Defoe for their places this season.

Levy showed last summer that he can spend big and do well in the market, i'd trust us to do a decent job with 100m.

We spent less that we got in :-k

I do agree that Lloris, vertonghen, and Dembele were great buys but he needed to back the club more with a striker and a winger. Why did he not do that?

Billy, its been 5 years since Berbatov left. Since then, other than the first abysmal season, when we finished 8th, we've finished 4th, 5th, 4th and will again this season finish 3rd-5th. Our strikers during that time, other than Adebayor last season imo, have been significantly inferior to Berbatov and have not been anywhere near the quality of the teams above us.

Hoot - Redknapp took over and signed Crouch and Defoe (and Keane) - i agree these aren't players on the same level as Berbatov but we were languishing in the bottom half at the time so you have to take that in to account. eventually we managed to shift Keane but in Crouch and Defoe we had a solid pair up front - was you calling for them to be sold/replaced the summer we finished top 4? of course you weren't because at the time they were a part of a very good team and were doing the business for us.

they may not have been on Berba's level - but they helped take us further than when he was here.

same as last season when we had Adebayor up front who i believe possibly contributed more than DB ever did over one premier league campaign (stats wise at least)

Last edited:
Real aren't having the greatest season and they always have to add one or two stars every summer. Bale would be one the most likely targets and I think they'll try. That means we might have to suffer a whole summer of various media trying to destabilize us while Real waits for Levy to drop his asking price. The have a maximum, we have a minimum, but it'll still take most of the summer to come to an agreement.

But you were listening to the mouthpiece of only one of the three parties whose agreement is necessary to any deal.

If you hear something from Bale and Levy too, then it might be time to worry.

Levy is a businessman, he will get the money in. The only one I trust is Bale.

To be honest, I think on here, we should be beyond that, we're just fans with differing opinions, and I'm quite enjoying reading the different sides to the debate. Both raise valuable and credible points.

What I meant by the cherry picking comment was, that it's not as straight forward as that. Yes Benteke proved to be a great buy. Villa couldn't have known for sure he would settle in the league and do so well. By the same token, they are rebuilding, aiming for a new team. We are already established as a top 5/6 team in the league. To lose Ade and replace him with an unknown quantity, and this would remain true regardless of how well the scouts would have done their homework, is a risky business and one which could mean we drop right out of the race for the CL spots. Yes in hindsight we can see Ade hasn't contributed largely to the goals column but we know he has been a top striker in this league for 3 different clubs as well as Real. If I was Levy, I wouldn't want to risk losing out. Look at the signings we made when we sold Luka, Rafa etc.

Lloris. One of the best keepers in the world.
Vertonghen. Much sought after world-wide, recognised as a top talent
Dembele. A Premier league proven player who was earning rave reviews.
Dempsey. A Premier League proven goal getting midfielder.
Siggy. A young established Premier League player.

We are risk-averse right now, and with good reason. But I do think there is some wiggle room there. I personally would have liked to have seen a young 'starlet' signed to play up front and challenged Ade and Defoe for their places this season.

I agree 100%

Back