• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

forward is an important position so will get more focus - but would everyone be pulling their hair out if we hadn't signed a proper left back for X amount of years, whinging on about scouting networks not being up to scratch or whatever. i doubt it.

how long was in between selling Berbatov and signing Adebayor on loan? as that really was the only period where we have genuinely let down in this area (by the club)

Because I don't think not having a proper left back for x amount of years can consistently lose you games in the same way the same for the striker does.

forward is an important position so will get more focus - but would everyone be pulling their hair out if we hadn't signed a proper left back for X amount of years, whinging on about scouting networks not being up to scratch or whatever. i doubt it.

how long was in between selling Berbatov and signing Adebayor on loan? as that really was the only period where we have genuinely let down in this area (by the club)

Redknapp brought in one of his favorites in Crouch. It doesn't matter what the fans think of Crouch, in the manager's eyes we had it covered.

The conversation is based around missed opportunities on younger / unproven strikers

Do you believe we have taken enough of those in the last 6-7 years?

Er.. then this is a new conversation, my previous conversation was why we didn't take a gamble on any striker.

No i don't think we have taken enough risks on young strikers in the last 6-7 years.

Even though left back is a position of considerable and increasing weakness for us - I still think our lack of goalthreat and presence in the final third is of much higher priority

that wasn't what i was saying Arc - im saying Forward is one position - you don't write off the whole transfer/scouting set up because of one position where we have been left short.

I hope the Levy / transfer policy apologists are reading this

Redknapp was never gonna pluck a player from the polish league and sign him.
Our transfer policy under him was strictly based around motd.
What was Levy supposed to do exactly?

Quality doesn't always shine through and our fans turn on players quickly. We only see, to appreciate certain kinds of players. If we were looking for an established striker to replace an existing one Lewandowski wouldn't have fit the profile. None of us knows what we were looking for or why we made the decisions we did. IMO there's a good chance he would have been a failure with us and I perfectly understand why decided not to take that particular risk.

I think Levy does so much more good than bad for us that I don't see the need to slag him off. It's not about me thinking he's infallible or being a vehement defender of him. I take offense at those who seem to have nothing but negativity towards him.

Firstly, who said he would have been brought in to be undisputed number one striker? Just like the rest of the young players we buy, he would be in and out of the team depending on how he performed. I think you're overstating things hugely. Our fans didn't turn en masse on Bale or Modric or Walker or Dawson. Nor have we really turned en masse vs the two strikers we've had this season.

Who said that Levy hasn't done a lot of good? But his and whoever else is involved in acquiring players performances' in scouting and purchasing a suitable striker (s) since Berbatov left has been appalling.

i think those 3 (at the time of signing) are all comparable to Lewandowski of 3 years ago

yes we have had players who have improved themselves, but shouldn't we be improving them as well

I meant that in the sense that we improved them, not that they did it completely solo.

Quality doesn't always shine through and our fans turn on players quickly. We only see, to appreciate certain kinds of players. If we were looking for an established striker to replace an existing one Lewandowski wouldn't have fit the profile. None of us knows what we were looking for or why we made the decisions we did. IMO there's a good chance he would have been a failure with us and I perfectly understand why decided not to take that particular risk.

I think Levy does so much more good than bad for us that I don't see the need to slag him off. It's not about me thinking he's infallible or being a vehement defender of him. I take offense at those who seem to have nothing but negativity towards him.

Forget the fickle fans - many feared Berbatov was just another Rebrov and only after Christmas did he get going properly - but his quality was present in the UEFA Cup and fans saw that already. That is not how we should be choosing our transfers - i.e. if the fans will like it or not.

No one here is pushing an ongoing anti-Levy agenda and I'm sure many recognize the merit of his work - but there are imv MAJOR areas of concern in our transfer policy and scouting network in general which have valid grounds for concern. You had nothing but negativity to Redknapp (and still do) - while this is something completely different - i.e. addressing a specific aspect of his work

Not signing Lewandowski only tells us one thing: We didn't sign. Possibly because we didn't think he was good enough. It does not mean everything we do in terms of scouting and transfers is wrong and needs to change. Unless someone can provide proof of what players we have considered, why we didn't go for them and why the ones we did try for never happened we cannot draw any conclusions. What we have are bias fueled discussions on what should/shouldn't have been done in matters we know little about.

that wasn't what i was saying Arc - im saying Forward is one position - you don't write off the whole transfer/scouting set up because of one position where we have been left short.

When you've completely and utterly failed to replace a player in a vital position for 5 years, I think serious questions need to be asked.

It physically hurt watching what a real striker looks like tonight (and he's only 24 as well :lol:)

Because I don't think not having a proper left back for x amount of years can consistently lose you games in the same way the same for the striker does.

but it is still only one position - we had Berbatov, he was replaced after one season with Crouch (& Defoe) (thanks for the reminder Jord) who was instantly replaced by Adebayor who we still have.

so where, really, are these years of poor activity in the forward position that everyone keeps referring. one poor season where we had Frazier Campbell and one season where our 17 goal and 11 assist summer signing has been on the missing and all of a sudden we're brick in the transfer market and our scouts don't know what they're doing (despite other areas of the team getting reinforced with quality)

melodrama if ever ive seen one

Who said that Levy hasn't done a lot of good? But his and whoever else is involved in acquiring players performances' in scouting and purchasing a suitable striker (s) since Berbatov left has been appalling.

And therein lies the rub

I would argue it is the most important area of highest priority and has been such since Berbatov left - i.e. item 1 on the agenda

But we had 4 senior keepers last September, so I guess it was ok

getting Berbatov was a miracle, he was always way too good for us, similarly so is Lloris, but we pulled that one off, and Modric not that long ago

it happens, but we have to punch above our weight to improve

Firstly, who said he would have been brought in to be undisputed number one striker? Just like the rest of the young players we buy, he would be in and out of the team depending on how he performed. I think you're overstating things hugely. Our fans didn't turn en masse on Bale or Modric or Walker or Dawson. Nor have we really turned en masse vs the two strikers we've had this season.

My take on it is that we didn't want to pay £5 million on someone we weren't sure on. Maybe if we had been able to get rid of one the strikers we had at the time. For me this is just as much about Redknapp, but we do not know what was discussed behind the scenes.

Re. Levy, I feel there are some who are desperate to find faults with Levy, to the extent that they surely cannot be happy with him. To me that is extremely short sighted and quite frankly ridiculous. We wouldn't be doing this well without him, but of course the internet connoisseurs of football know everything so much better than those who do this for a living.

And therein lies the rub

did you think Crouch&Defoe - when we was in the lower half of the premier league, was an appalling deal? seemed to cope quite well in the CL . . .

was Adebayor an appaling signing last season when we became the most attractive attacking side in the league?

total hyperbole from plenty of posters on this subject. not long after losing losing Berbatov we lost our DoF and with it an extensive scouting network. we brought in Redknapp who was able to bring several strikers of his own choosing who all done what was required of them during his time here. all this talk of 5 years and waiting is nonsense

Last edited:
Fred Hermel, spanish journo just said a minute ago on radio that Madrid will get the cash out for Bale this summer.

Big Madrid fan and hangs around with Florentino Perez. For me this is terrible news.

Thats the only name he mentionned, when asked what will be the consequences of that defeat.

Said Mourinho & ronaldo dont speak, Mourinho to chelsea, Ancelotti to Madrid.

The elections are coming up for Madrid president position so Florentino Perez will spend before that like he usually does.

Not signing Lewandowski only tells us one thing: We didn't sign. Possibly because we didn't think he was good enough. It does not mean everything we do in terms of scouting and transfers is wrong and needs to change. Unless someone can provide proof of what players we have considered, why we didn't go for them and why the ones we did try for never happened we cannot draw any conclusions. What we have are bias fueled discussions on what should/shouldn't have been done in matters we know little about.

Again, I couldn't care less about Lewandowski. He just happens to be the example for the broader point. For all we know, Archibald could be talking absolute brick.

The point is, Berbatov left 5 years ago, Since then, we've tried Pav, Bent, Campbell, Defoe, Keane, Crouch, Saha and Adebayor.

Not exactly the youngest batch of players, or the most inspiring. Unfortunately, we spent a total of around 70 million quid on that group and GHod knows how much in wages.

In every other position, we've made an attempt to take gambles, buy younger players. A lot of them have worked out and these players now form a core of our squad. Not so unfortunately upfront.

Anyway, as I said, I'm really hoping AVB dazzles us this summer with this rumoured wide group of scouted targets.

Mourinho and Falcao apparently done for Chelsea
Lewandowski and Gotze apparently done for Bayern
Ancelotti to Real Madrid?
Cavani to PSG.

Back