• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

I don't really understand what you mean by a "Levy / transfer apologist". Surely transfer policy is a bit too complicated to divide it into black and white/pro and anti.

The selected few on here, headlined by your Mod-friend who vehemently defend any 'questions' towards Levy and our transfer policty in general - simply pedalling the same old tired record how the reason we haven't signed any decent strikers is because they all cost 40m and want 200k/wages while we're practically skint. Something which has been proven to be categorically and factually untrue on so many levels - by looking at our rivals in recent years and other PL teams, by looking at players such as Berbatov, by looking at some of the missed opportunities we've passed on, etc. So to suggest there is NOTHING out there for us in terms of quality and prospects is quite frankly laughable

Our scouting network in general is not operating optimally, imv if all we have to look at is MotD highlights since Comolli left. Arry is gone now - a revolutionary, young, forward thinking, well dressed, continental man is in - let's see some change

Last edited:

Who cares what our fans would have thought? At various points in their careers, our fans have feverishly called for just about every single one of our players to be sold.

Again, the point isn't specifically about Lewandowski. It is about the argument that there are no strikers out there that we can get without breaking the bank. Wrong.

This 100%

Adebayor was a gamble. It hasn't worked out. Every player is a gamble. Shows we haven't stopped trying to gamble, and just that the gamble this time hasn't paid off. If we had the Ade of last year it would have paid off.

There are strikers, that is true i can't deny that. Our scouts are not doing well on strikers.

He was a gamble but not in our traditional sense. He was a gamble in terms of his attitude (which has backfired hugely) but not in terms of being a young player whose ceiling is quite high but whose current level might not be enough to attract the top clubs.

Anyway, hopefully with AVB, we'll branch out scouting a bit more and start entering markets where its actually economical to make purchases in the striker department, rather than wasting another transfer window bringing in midtable strikers or attempting and failing to bring in unrealistic targets.

So I've heard of this Brazilian guy who plays at Sandro's old club

If we had signed an unknown Polish striker half our fans would have dubbed him a new Rasiak without even waiting to see him play.
I sincerely doubt we base our transfer decisions on what faceless zoids think on internet forums

And besides that - who cares and what difference does it make? Quality always shows if present - and fans appreciate that

He was a gamble but not in our traditional sense. He was a gamble in terms of his attitude (which has backfired hugely) but not in terms of being a young player whose ceiling is quite high but whose current level might not be enough to attract the top clubs.

Anyway, hopefully with AVB, we'll branch out scouting a bit more and start entering markets where its actually economical to make purchases in the striker department, rather than wasting another transfer window bringing in midtable strikers or attempting and failing to bring in unrealistic targets.

True, but a gamble is still a gamble.

I recall reading of a huge scouting list that AVB had compiled between his being sacked by Chelsea and hired by Spurs. Have not really seen any evidence of this anywhere yet.

So we should not bother? Do you get the sense that we've been trying for these gems? Of course the club don't divulge their transfer dealings but I don't really get that sense.

We should bother, but it quite possibly depends on how much money is available how many gambles we can take. We have to prioritize the first team players. Fergie can do it because he has the money, Hernandez worked out, the likes of Macheda, Diouf, Bebe, Obertan didn't.

its not just the fans reaction though, we've signed that player plenty of times and broken them, Iversen, Pavlyuchenko, Rebrov, had they gone somewhere else they wouldn't have been the same player that we knew

I think that's a bit of a cop out answer tbh. Pav for me was always brick and was only bought because we panicked and used the Euros to bring someone in after Berbatov left. The left...that's just how transfers work. Sometimes the player settles well, does great, sometimes he doesn't. Of course, managerial changes and us being absolute brick didn't help though.

We've bought in a lot of young players who have gone on to improve themselves.

Sometimes goals is not the all.

Give me a striker with half of that return for us, and we'd be playing CL this season having finished well 3rd last season, and pushing the same position this year

That is exactly what we've been missing for years

Rumors is that Bayern has bought Lewandowski, his agent said it was done in a Spanish interview.

I think that's a bit of a cop out answer tbh. Pav for me was always brick and was only bought because we panicked and used the Euros to bring someone in after Berbatov left. The left...that's just how transfers work. Sometimes the player settles well, does great, sometimes he doesn't. Of course, managerial changes and us being absolute brick didn't help though.

We've bought in a lot of young players who have gone on to improve themselves.

i think those 3 (at the time of signing) are all comparable to Lewandowski of 3 years ago

yes we have had players who have improved themselves, but shouldn't we be improving them as well

Last edited:

forward is an important position so will get more focus - but would everyone be pulling their hair out if we hadn't signed a proper left back for X amount of years, whinging on about scouting networks not being up to scratch or whatever. i doubt it.

how long was in between selling Berbatov and signing Adebayor on loan? as that really was the only period where we have genuinely let down in this area (by the club)

forward is an important position so will get more focus - but would everyone be pulling their hair out if we hadn't signed a proper left back for X amount of years, whinging on about scouting networks not being up to scratch or whatever. i doubt it.

how long was in between selling Berbatov and signing Adebayor on loan?

Even though left back is a position of considerable and increasing weakness for us - I still think our lack of goalthreat and presence in the final third is of much higher priority

I sincerely doubt we base our transfer decisions on what faceless zoids think on internet forums

And besides that - who cares and what difference does it make? Quality always shows if present - and fans appreciate that

Quality doesn't always shine through and our fans turn on players quickly. We only see, to appreciate certain kinds of players. If we were looking for an established striker to replace an existing one Lewandowski wouldn't have fit the profile. None of us knows what we were looking for or why we made the decisions we did. IMO there's a good chance he would have been a failure with us and I perfectly understand why decided not to take that particular risk.

I think Levy does so much more good than bad for us that I don't see the need to slag him off. It's not about me thinking he's infallible or being a vehement defender of him. I take offense at those who seem to have nothing but negativity towards him.

We should bother, but it quite possibly depends on how much money is available how many gambles we can take. We have to prioritize the first team players. Fergie can do it because he has the money, Hernandez worked out, the likes of Macheda, Diouf, Bebe, Obertan didn't.

Macheda cost nothing, Obertan 3 million, Diouf 3 million Bebe is the strange one (I still feel like there's something dodgy about that transfer) but overall, those all cost them around a Bentley.

Considering some of the huge amounts we've spent since Berbatov trying to replace him with upper midtable strikers, I don't think a gamble or two on a young player in those 5 years would have been amiss tbh.

Back