• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

what has happened to the transfer section?

Re: **Official Other Games Thread, Season 2012/13**

With respect, mate - that was 5 years ago and he was very good in Poland / Ukraine last year

Each to their own, I guess

he followed that up with a poor world cup, last year he did score goals but he was in an excellent side and was a bit part player iirc

There are strikers, but picking your Lewandoski's out of all the young players around isn't exactly easy.

No-one is saying it is. However, what some people insist on saying is that there are no strikers and that if I, the world renowned striker, cannot name the strikers we could have gone for, they're clearly not around. This is rubbish. In hindsight, quite a few strikers have moved recently for small sums who would have improved us. Our scouts get paid to spot these players.

We gamble, that's what a club our size has to do. For every Bale, there's a Bentley. For every Modric, there's a Zokora. But usually, it works out in the positive. We seem to have stopped trying to gamble with strikers and instead just buy old strikers with no potential for improvement.

I hope the Levy / transfer policy apologists are reading this

I don't really understand what you mean by a "Levy / transfer apologist". Surely transfer policy is a bit too complicated to divide it into black and white/pro and anti.

y2beb.png

he followed that up with a poor world cup, last year he did score goals but he was in an excellent side and was a bit part player iirc

He has over 100 goals in the last 3 seasons

Only lost his place this year due to injury

Sky Sports Football ‏@SkyFootball 5m

Kolo Toure has confirmed he will leave Emirates Marketing Project at the end of the season, but he wants to stay in England.

He would have been on Harry's list for sure. Shame he'll be in the Championship.

to spend more time at his car sale business?

We should sign Lewandowski.

Missed the boat, along with many other clubs:

Former Tottenham striker Steve Archibald: "Just a note of interest for Spurs fans, I offered Robert Lewandowski to Spurs when he was stlll playing in Poland, for less than 5m, pity! To be fair, when they said no I offered him to other clubs who also said no."

If we had signed an unknown Polish striker half our fans would have dubbed him a new Rasiak without even waiting to see him play. He wouldn't have been given a chance with us anyway with Redknapp's love childs Crouch and Defoe in his way.

Who cares what our fans would have thought? At various points in their careers, our fans have feverishly called for just about every single one of our players to be sold.

Again, the point isn't specifically about Lewandowski. It is about the argument that there are no strikers out there that we can get without breaking the bank. Wrong.

Missed the boat, along with many other clubs:

Former Tottenham striker Steve Archibald: "Just a note of interest for Spurs fans, I offered Robert Lewandowski to Spurs when he was stlll playing in Poland, for less than 5m, pity! To be fair, when they said no I offered him to other clubs who also said no."

I know

Frankly in his first season at Dortmund I came on here and said we should look to buy him. Way out of our league now.

HEJA BVB!

Who cares what our fans would have thought? At various points in their careers, our fans have feverishly called for just about every single one of our players to be sold.

Again, the point isn't specifically about Lewandowski. It is about the argument that there are no strikers out there that we can get without breaking the bank. Wrong.

There are gems out there, but there's also a lot of other clubs looking. Apparently quite a few turned Lewandowski down showing it isn't always easy to spot talent. In this specific case I think we figured he wasn't an obvious enough talent to take a chance on with all the other strikers at the club. We should perhaps take some more chances on younger players and send them out on loan, though we mock Chelsea for doing it.

For every Lewandowski there are literally a 100 other punts that didn't work out. Hindsight critics are just being stupid, why didn't SAF buy Lewandowski? because sometimes it's actually safer to pay more for a proven product.

SAF does both though. His 'gamble' around the same kind of time was Hernandez, another player all the scouts on this board would have had little idea about.

We used to do a bit of both and for some reason, seemed to have stopped trying recently with the strikers.

And we don't have the money or pull to simply buy a proven product striker. And our inability to do so has left us with a very poor striking situation this season.

So we gamble and buy youngish players whose stock maybe isn't the highest at the moment but whose potential is big. Just like we've done with the rest of the squad.

its not just the fans reaction though, we've signed that player plenty of times and broken them, Iversen, Pavlyuchenko, Rebrov, had they gone somewhere else they wouldn't have been the same player that we knew

No-one is saying it is. However, what some people insist on saying is that there are no strikers and that if I, the world renowned striker, cannot name the strikers we could have gone for, they're clearly not around. This is rubbish. In hindsight, quite a few strikers have moved recently for small sums who would have improved us. Our scouts get paid to spot these players.

We gamble, that's what a club our size has to do. For every Bale, there's a Bentley. For every Modric, there's a Zokora. But usually, it works out in the positive. We seem to have stopped trying to gamble with strikers and instead just buy old strikers with no potential for improvement.

Adebayor was a gamble. It hasn't worked out. Every player is a gamble. Shows we haven't stopped trying to gamble, and just that the gamble this time hasn't paid off. If we had the Ade of last year it would have paid off.

There are strikers, that is true i can't deny that. Our scouts are not doing well on strikers.

There are gems out there, but there's also a lot of other clubs looking. Apparently quite a few turned Lewandowski down showing it isn't always easy to spot talent. In this specific case I think we figured he wasn't an obvious enough talent to take a chance on with all the other strikers at the club. We should perhaps take some more chances on younger players and send them out on loan, though we mock Chelsea for doing it.

So we should not bother? Do you get the sense that we've been trying for these gems? Of course the club don't divulge their transfer dealings but I don't really get that sense.

Back