• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

He makes a pretty decent pundit as well, speaks very well.
And those suggesting he has no interest in playing young players, well he certainly didn't come across like that with how he was talking yesterday. Not that I subscribed to this theory anyway....

And those suggesting he has no interest in playing young players, well he certainly didn't come across like that with how he was talking yesterday. Not that I subscribed to this theory anyway....

Iirc the argument is he doesn't play academy players isn't it? By Udogie and Sarr it's near enough indisputable that Ange isn't put off by a player lacking in years, especially compared to someone like Conte.

For me the old "play the kids they can't do any worse" is a bit of a tedious easy button to press for a fan to say when things aren't going well. Of course we all hope that the latest generation of youngsters we produce are going to make it and force their way in to the team, and it's easy to make out that the manager is a bogeyman villain hellbent on blocking their success. But we don't see the players day in day out or have as great a barometer on the levels between U21 level and top level men's football. For our annual collapse against Saudi Sportswashing Machine we may say "The kids couldn't have done any worse" but we could lose 12 - 0 rather than 6 - 0, who does that benefit?

I guess we'll see if any youths impress in pre season and carry it on in to the Europa League this season, it's one thing for Ange to speak in glowing terms of the kids but it'll be his team selections / in game management that really matters (This isn't all aimed at you mate obviously I've gone on a bit of a rambling tangent!)

Iirc the argument is he doesn't play academy players isn't it? By Udogie and Sarr it's near enough indisputable that Ange isn't put off by a player lacking in years, especially compared to someone like Conte.

For me the old "play the kids they can't do any worse" is a bit of a tedious easy button to press for a fan to say when things aren't going well. Of course we all hope that the latest generation of youngsters we produce are going to make it and force their way in to the team, and it's easy to make out that the manager is a bogeyman villain hellbent on blocking their success. But we don't see the players day in day out or have as great a barometer on the levels between U21 level and top level men's football. For our annual collapse against Saudi Sportswashing Machine we may say "The kids couldn't have done any worse" but we could lose 12 - 0 rather than 6 - 0, who does that benefit?

I guess we'll see if any youths impress in pre season and carry it on in to the Europa League this season, it's one thing for Ange to speak in glowing terms of the kids but it'll be his team selections / in game management that really matters (This isn't all aimed at you mate obviously I've gone on a bit of a rambling tangent!)
No absolutely, it's actually a bug bear of mine with the classic 'throw the kids in and see what they can do'. Whilst I can't remember exactly what Ange was saying, he was speaking positively about young players and the fact if good enough he would give them a shot - If our academy players are deemed to have the ability, he gave me the impression he wont hold back in playing them....

Bumping the Ange thread back up from Page 2.
There is a 9 minute video on Spurs Play where Ange reflects on last season and talks about pre-season and this season coming.
He admits we lost our way a bit at the end of last season, and as usual I come away from it feeling positive that we can really do good things this year.

Mostly I am happy that Ange's philosophy is to keep pushing forwards and relentlessly play positive football. If we achieve our fluid best, that will be a great relief after a summer of watching England's stodgy build-up and passing it sideways and backwards with no left side.

I'm going to wait for the book written in ten years' time that also details his creation and maintenance of the Tottenham Hotspur side that ushered in an era of domination in English football with consecutive trebles and European success whilst upholding standards of play & entertainment so high that neutrals were forced to acknowledge and admire the quality.

Back