• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welcome Ange: To Dare is to Didgeridoo

Did teams take it more serious when you would qualify for the CL for winning it?
I think teams have always taken it seriously and the list of winners over the past 20 years backs that up.

Unfortunately our own club hasn't always necessarily taken it seriously enough and there could be a whole bunch of (arguable) reasons for that, for example the comparitive prize money pots in the Europa and CL and thus our players/manager being more incentivised to finish in the top four. I've always found it strange that anyone at our club would turn their nose up at a trophy that has had many illustrious winners.

I think teams have always taken it seriously and the list of winners over the past 20 years backs that up.

Unfortunately our own club hasn't always necessarily taken it seriously enough and there could be a whole bunch of (arguable) reasons for that, for example the comparitive prize money pots in the Europa and CL and thus our players/manager being more incentivised to finish in the top four. I've always found it strange that anyone at our club would turn their nose up at a trophy that has had many illustrious winners.
I think the EL, a bit like the League Cup, is a tournament teams like us (or bigger) generally take seriously if we get far in them. Rotate, see what happens, if you get far start prioritising it higher.

It's an approach that's definitely lead to some frustration. But it's also rather understandable as you say. I think it would be rather strange to prioritise it up there with the league from the first game.

I think the EL, a bit like the League Cup, is a tournament teams like us (or bigger) generally take seriously if we get far in them. Rotate, see what happens, if you get far start prioritising it higher.

It's an approach that's definitely lead to some frustration. But it's also rather understandable as you say. I think it would be rather strange to prioritise it up there with the league from the first game.
I think the list of winners of both competitions suggests otherwise. The truly big teams try to win all competitions they take part in.

Do spurs not try and win?
I'm not sure if we don't take it seriously but we've rarely gone all out to win it and certainly for periods the desire to finish in the top 4 had more momentum behind it compared to the idea of winning the UEFA/Europa Cup.

There is an argument that we've rarely actually been good enough to win it. It's rarely been won by a team in the years we've completed that I thought we were better than at that time.

I do think if it had, had more importance to us we might have done better than we have historically.

I think the list of winners of both competitions suggests otherwise. The truly big teams try to win all competitions they take part in.
No. Looking at the starting line ups for the early rounds of those competitions and seeing that teams put out a mostly first choice 11 would show that.

I don't follow the EL closely enough to know if that's been the case for those winners. From memory there definitely have been times when winners of the LC have played fairly heavily rotated teams in the earlier rounds and then put out teams closer to their best 11 when they got further in the tournament. That seems to be the norm for most of the clubs in or chasing CL spots in the league is my impression.

No. Looking at the starting line ups for the early rounds of those competitions and seeing that teams put out a mostly first choice 11 would show that.

I don't follow the EL closely enough to know if that's been the case for those winners. From memory there definitely have been times when winners of the LC have played fairly heavily rotated teams in the earlier rounds and then put out teams closer to their best 11 when they got further in the tournament. That seems to be the norm for most of the clubs in or chasing CL spots in the league is my impression.
Just off the top of my head Sevilla and Athletico have typically played strong lineups in the EL historically and have been CL chasing or even LA Liga title challenging and winning teams over the last decade. I would say both have had better first 11s and squads than we had at the times we both played in the Europa but both clubs took it seriously. You could even argue Athletico taking it seriously was the start of their resurgence into a real power in Spain.

Yep and at the end of the day, someone has to win it so the "illustrious" is likely to happen based on law of averages that there are a number of big sides in those cup. That said, Sevilla have likely dominated it because they took it more seriously than anyone else and it marks one of the more successful periods of their club, you could argue there were certainly bigger clubs in it at times.

And look I think people reach far too much to look for these things that don't exist at times. Sometimes you are just not good enough as proven with Villa and Liverpool this season in it, or were they not trying? Or were they? See what I mean, those things only seem to exist for Spurs

Also the idea we don't go deep in competitions is abit of a myth TBH, I am sure we go further now than we have done even at time when we won things. Its just a popular thing to droan on about given there are a couple of questionable examples.

5th Round or better 11 times, 4 SFs in that and RU twice, thats in 10 years, thats also in a no rhyme or reason trend to the theory we take it less seriously hunting for 4th.

We lost 12 league games this season so going out of the cups is no shock based on that also based on we went out to City in one of them

1717498362076.png

Last edited:
I think the reason some fans and/or the club looked down on the Europa League is because as they expanded the number of teams in both the CL and EL, the EL became full of bricky teams that are well below PL quality. And as the format changed, the number of matches needed to win increased (potentially 17 games in total - almost 50% of an entire PL season).

If it was still a straight knockout between 32 teams, it would be a lot more attractive IMO.

I think the reason some fans and/or the club looked down on the Europa League is because as they expanded the number of teams in both the CL and EL, the EL became full of bricky teams that are well below PL quality. And as the format changed, the number of matches needed to win increased (potentially 17 games in total - almost 50% of an entire PL season).

If it was still a straight knockout between 32 teams, it would be a lot more attractive IMO.

More like fans just repeat anything media mouthpieces tell them, i.e. CL & PL is everything .. you literally have fans in England now who downplay the FA Cup

More like fans just repeat anything media mouthpieces tell them, i.e. CL & PL is everything .. you literally have fans in England now who downplay the FA Cup

It's not the media. It's reality. How much is winning the fa cup compared to cl or even el?

That isn't media driving the prices. It's fans. Because they'd rather pay to watch cl or el.

Although fa cup final has to be played on terrestrial. But not around the world.

Back