• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window thread?

Maybe so but he’s not going to find any club that would pay him that now. He can choose either to stay frozen out. Or to be paid less but be a welcomed part of a squad.

He'll get a lot closer to that at Arsenal than he would from us.

The Telegraph are estimating it at £65m.
Transfer fee - £35m. (May be made up in part by Mkhitaryan as part of the deal)
Signing on fee - £20m
Agents fee - £10m
And that’s all before the £400k pm in wages, bonuses and images rights.

It’s also being reported that Cheatski are showing an interest now.
The 400k a week is likely to include the signing on fee.

He'll get a lot closer to that at Arsenal than he would from us.

But he would also be at Arsenal, which no money could justify being part of a rotten club, which is on the slide, and with a manager whose position is far from stable (based upon the constant in/out from the ‘fans’).

Smells of desperation? The guy is quality and scores for fun, I wouldn’t mind a ‘desperate’ signing like him....

I never said he wasnt, explicitly in fact.

Put it this way, does this seem like a strategic move, been worked on for months, scouted out?

Or like a grab at a high profile player to appease fans knowing they are about to lose their two best?

I never said he wasnt, explicitly in fact.

Put it this way, does this seem like a strategic move, been worked on for months, scouted out?

Or like a grab at a high profile player to appease fans knowing they are about to lose their two best?
Fair enough mate, but he has been linked with them several times in past few seasons.

Also isnt that what the big clubs do - when they lose a big player you replace them with a big player? The only reason we dont is that we cant afford to....

Im not saying its a bad transfer*, just that its a desperate move.

Somehow Wenger has allowed himself to have his two best players out of contract and with no intention of staying.

He knows they are going and is going to get slaughtered.

So he grabs the biggest deal he can to try and retain some credibility.

*I still dont see how he fits with Lacazette, so I wonder if there will be issues in finding a balance/team composition that works. The player also has well documented attitude issues, so its another thing to keep an eye on.

The other interesting thing is the press' insistence on the fabled swap deal coming in - with Sanchez going to Utd and Mkhitaryan going to Arsenal. While he hasnt been great at Utd, I think Mkhitaryan is a quality player and could be a real coup for them.

But - again - assuming Ozil stays until the summer, how does it all fit together?

So, yes, desperate. The whole situation smacks of it. I dont see it as the same as a club losing a big player and then going out and replacing him. I see it as a mad and ill thought out scramble.

I agree with your summation Nayim. The trouble for me is that Augbemeyeng (or whatever his name is) and mikithatiyan would be better than Ozil and Sanchez (the current unmotivated versions), so no matter how desperate the process would be, the outcome would improve them IMO.

I agree with your summation Nayim. The trouble for me is that Augbemeyeng (or whatever his name is) and mikithatiyan would be better than Ozil and Sanchez (the current unmotivated versions), so no matter how desperate the process would be, the outcome would improve them IMO.

Possibly, it still depends on a few factors.

Mkhitaryan (I had to copy and paste it off the BBC!) is 29, and hasnt played at the top of his game for 2 (or 3?) seasons now, its probably a fair question to ask if he can rediscover his best from Germany, and how long that might take.

And, if Arsenal are the team in which he can do that. They'll attack freely which will suit him, but they also wont provide much of a platform behind him.

Id back him to be 'good', not necessarily 'great', especially for this season. Perhaps next year after settling he could really step up?

Aubameyang Ive seen little of for a while, just trading on reputation. I assume he will be good, but a lot depends on the service he receives, how quickly he settles, and whether or not he can find a partnership with those around him.

Again, possibly one for next season more than this?

I mean, who knows? They could both be amazing, Im just saying I think its not necessarily a given they will be straight away.

Fair enough mate, but he has been linked with them several times in past few seasons.

Also isnt that what the big clubs do - when they lose a big player you replace them with a big player? The only reason we dont is that we cant afford to....

Aubugyman is a bit of a risk hence why the only offers in for him were from China - he is a bit of a party boy supposedly and has been burning his bridges at Dortmund over the past couple of seasons due to off the field behaviour. A few seasons back he was being linked with the biggest clubs and now he's got a choice between a Europa League club or a footballing backwater.

As i said previously it's a risky transfer but a risk Arsenal can/have to make and if it pays off and he does well it'll prove to be a great signing

He was a big deal at one point, flavour of the month, but in his time at PSG he has stagnated. If it is a loan then that would work for us as he might find his mojo again. If he doesn't well no major harm done.

Is he in the last 6 months of his contract?

Really? He had his best ever season last season in terms of goals and assists and the season before that was his 2nd best season. £27m would be a bargain given what players move for these days, he's only 25 and has experience of winning trophies as well. Plus he is pretty rapid with good touch and can play anywhere in attacking midfield.

Aubugyman is a bit of a risk hence why the only offers in for him were from China - he is a bit of a party boy supposedly and has been burning his bridges at Dortmund over the past couple of seasons due to off the field behaviour. A few seasons back he was being linked with the biggest clubs and now he's got a choice between a Europa League club or a footballing backwater.

As i said previously it's a risky transfer but a risk Arsenal can/have to make and if it pays off and he does well it'll prove to be a great signing
On the pitch he's no risk whatsoever, his record speaks for itself. Plenty of the top players have egos/ apparent off the field issues - if you believe he's not going to succeed at Arsenal you'd be setting yourself up for a fall.....

On the pitch he's no risk whatsoever, his record speaks for itself. Plenty of the top players have egos/ apparent off the field issues - if you believe he's not going to succeed at Arsenal you'd be setting yourself up for a fall.....

If he was as much of a sure thing as you suggest bigger better sides would be in for him - there's a reason why they are swerving him

If he was as much of a sure thing as you suggest bigger better sides would be in for him - there's a reason why they are swerving him
Never buy this rationale at all. How do you know there arent big sides looking at him, do clubs have to bid for every player they rate or something? Just because they're not bidding for him right now with Arsenal, PL teams have the greatest financial muscle bar Real Madrid Barca and PSG and I dont see either of them needing a forward right now whereas Arseanl do so why should they be in for him?

I see some Norwich fans speculate we might be getting James Maddison from them, and they see Edwards going the other way as a sweetener. Maddison seems highly rated by them, but I know nothing about him.

Probably just speculation though, or we would've announced him already.

I see some Norwich fans speculate we might be getting James Maddison from them, and they see Edwards going the other way as a sweetener. Maddison seems highly rated by them, but I know nothing about him.

Probably just speculation though, or we would've announced him already.

Maddison looks a good player. Athleticism of Alli with the brains of Eriksen.

I'm only a bit cautious because I was a big fan of Jonny Howson 5 or 6 years ago, and I can see similarities.

Tottenham target James Maddison but face competition from Liverpool and Emirates Marketing Project for Norwich starlet
ES Sport

Tottenham are among the clubs interested in signing highly-rated Norwich City midfielder James Maddison.

Spurs have been tracking the 21-year-old since before he joined the Canaries from Coventry in February 2016 but they face competition from Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project and Leicester.

Norwich are reluctant to sell Maddison this month after allowing former Spurs winger Alex Pritchard to join Huddersfield for £11m and they would demand at least £20m for the England U21 international, who has scored seven goals this season.

Spurs, though, have sent 19-year-old winger Marcus Edwards (below) on loan to Carrow Road for the rest of the campaign and they could sign Maddison this month and loan him back to Norwich until the summer – just as they did with Dele Alli and MK Dons in February 2015.

Last month, Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino suggested that the club needed to sign English players and could do deals in January for next summer.

"It's so important today to identify our targets for next summer," Pochettino said. "Maybe we need to sign players in January and bring them in six months before. [The Dele Alli deal] is a very good example that you need to anticipate. And today we are at a club that needs to anticipate. We cannot be reactive because if we are, we are going to lose."

Spurs are also interested in adding Stevenage Borough centre-back Ben Wilmot, 18, to their academy this month, while they have recalled 20-year-old centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers from a loan at Sheffield United

Back