• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Successful teams (e.g. Ferguson's United at their peak) tend to go for just the one big signing a year.

Simply Mahrez in for Sissoko would serve us perfectly IMO.

When you are the best team in the league it is easier to get away with just one big signing. We on the other hand cannot claim that with no trophies to show for it. If we were to bring in just Mahrez for Sissoko we could end up struggling if Kane gets injured, especially with the CL to contend with. And that is assuming he wants to come to us, surprisingly some players actually join clubs because they can earn some big money

looks like James Rodriguez (the Real one) will be announced as a Man Utd player the day after the CL final

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...riguez-agrees-Manchester-United-transfer.html

what a shame, he would have been a great addition for us (if we were prepared to pay 65 mill to Real and his probable 150k a week wages):)

There is no way United paid 65M/150K for James .. have you seen their recent deals? Martial will cost them 70M+ (they reported a 36M purchase price). He will likely cost them an additional 20-30M in clauses, +some stupid wage bonuses.

As others have said, this is just brand promotion, and another sign of how much pressure they feel under to prove their relevance.

If they went out and bought three to four 35M players that are targeted to balance the side, I would be more worried.

When you are the best team in the league it is easier to get away with just one big signing. We on the other hand cannot claim that with no trophies to show for it. If we were to bring in just Mahrez for Sissoko we could end up struggling if Kane gets injured, especially with the CL to contend with. And that is assuming he wants to come to us, surprisingly some players actually join clubs because they can earn some big money

We didn't lose a game either time Kane was injured IIRC. Son and Janssen are just fine.

There is no way United paid 65M/150K for James .. have you seen their recent deals? Martial will cost them 70M+ (they reported a 36M purchase price). He will likely cost them an additional 20-30M in clauses, +some stupid wage bonuses.

As others have said, this is just brand promotion, and another sign of how much pressure they feel under to prove their relevance.

If they went out and bought three to four 35M players that are targeted to balance the side, I would be more worried.

im not worried about them. They can pay him 1 million a week, who cares........I like the player thats all, and in the right team and the right manager he could be a big success.

Realistically the fact they played in no European competitions this season has been a massive help for them. The travel time alone in the Europa League is a massive hindrance.

We can't use that as an excuse though, if we would've invested in higher quality players instead of the likes of Sissoko, we would've stood a much better chance.
Funny, in hindsight how many Spurs fans on Twitter dismissed Mané as a good signing..

Well there is you first mistake, expecting to hear any sense posted by anyone on teletext. :)

Successful teams (e.g. Ferguson's United at their peak) tend to go for just the one big signing a year.

Simply Mahrez in for Sissoko would serve us perfectly IMO.

What to you is a "big" signing? Do you mean an expensive signing or are you referring to a key signing that can make an impact on the first team? The reason I ask is that last season when we were linked to Wanyama you said he was not good enough and at best would be a backup and nothing more than a bench player. I remember telling you that I thought he would be a key signing for us, and I think he has proved to be one. On the other hand Sissoko was an expensive player but proved not to be a key player for us

We didn't lose a game either time Kane was injured IIRC. Son and Janssen are just fine.

I see your narrative ignores the fact that when Kane was out during the first half of the season we dropped points in the league against WBA, Leicester and Bournemouth and won just 1 point out of 6 against Bayer Leverkusen. As much as I have not given up on Janssen he is yet to prove he is good enough for us. It would be foolhardy to start without getting another striker if we are serious about challenging for the title and getting beyond the group stage in the CL.

I see your narrative ignores the fact that when Kane was out during the first half of the season we dropped points in the league against WBA, Leicester and Bournemouth and won just 1 point out of 6 against Bayer Leverkusen. As much as I have not given up on Janssen he is yet to prove he is good enough for us. It would be foolhardy to start without getting another striker if we are serious about challenging for the title and getting beyond the group stage in the CL.

I'd agree that another striker has to be on the list, my view

- New Striker
- This year's N'Jie/GKN/Sissoko wide player that Poch is still looking for
- Backup for Eriksen
- 1/2 punts on the next young potential

Anybody think we should buy an experienced/senior player? the classic Naybet/Davids type?

I have been in favour of this in the past but I think that the side has matured a lot this season and shown a lot of mental strength, so I think that there is a less obvious need. The other question is, how many older players are there that would be willing to buy into Poch's methods and are fit enough for our game?

Anybody think we should buy an experienced/senior player? the classic Naybet/Davids type?

I have no problem per se with buying an experienced player however when we signed Naybet and Davids we were a rank average mid-table team so both players were good enough to walk straight into our starting line up. Now we are a very good team and while experience would benefit us I would be wary about buying a player who while being described as experienced is not good enough to contribute on the pitch As an example, I have heard people suggest we go for Carrick because he has won things. It is a valid point but when you think of Winks, Dier, Wanyama and Dembele you have to wonder how often he would start, and then wonder if he would want to come and be so far down the pecking order.

Bottom line I have no problem with getting an experienced player as long as it is the right player who can contribute effectively on the pitch like Dembélé, Jan and Lloris

I have no problem per se with buying an experienced player however when we signed Naybet and Davids we were a rank average mid-table team so both players were good enough to walk straight into our starting line up. Now we are a very good team and while experience would benefit us I would be wary about buying a player who while being described as experienced is not good enough to contribute on the pitch As an example, I have heard people suggest we go for Carrick because he has won things. It is a valid point but when you think of Winks, Dier, Wanyama and Dembele you have to wonder how often he would start, and then wonder if he would want to come and be so far down the pecking order.

Bottom line I have no problem with getting an experienced player as long as it is the right player who can contribute effectively on the pitch like Dembélé, Jan and Lloris

I agree.

On Carrick, his strength has never been tireless running, so you have to question how good a fit he would be for a Poch side.

Carrick on a free would be a no brainer.

But I can see him at Saudi Sportswashing Machine

I like him a lot as a player but he would never be able to play in our system. He would have struggled the first time he was with us, he wouldn't have a hope now.

I agree about Saudi Sportswashing Machine, that would make a lot of sense.

I like him a lot as a player but he would never be able to play in our system. He would have struggled the first time he was with us, he wouldn't have a hope now.

I agree about Saudi Sportswashing Machine, that would make a lot of sense.

To use that bricky term used in rugby - I think he would be a good finisher to see out games.

Back