• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Personally I would love to have Defoe back. I don't care about his age. He has got better at holding up the ball, and is still deadly in the box.

If he was happy to come as a mostly impact sub then he would be great to have on the bench.

He will probably end up at a smaller team that will start him. Like Bournemouth. But I would take him. That way we can spend our money on a star player rather than a back up striker.
Can't see it happening. Just not a good fit for our current style.

And another one who more than matches Janssen in terms of a poor return over a smallish sample this season. Over 1000 minutes without a goal. More than Janssen has league minutes for us this season.

How about we go for Mahrez and Vardy, we don't really have a winger who can beat someone from a standing start upfront although winks and dembele can do it in midfield. Vardy can play as a wide forward or alone up front and provides us with a pacey option.

Vardy I just can't see happening. 30 now and wouldn't be cheap. Good counter attacking player, but that's not really what we're lacking. Been nothing better than average at best as a wide forward.

Mahrez could happen. But will be expensive and there will be others after him.

One would assume some skill is required to win a cap? What ever "rules" were supposed to apply there seemed to be a very fluid interpretation used.

Depends who you play for I guess.

I just seem to recall players being blocked because they have not reached a percentage of caps?

Rumour's these past 48 hours
=============================
We are rumoured to have really made our interest known to Patrik Schick's people. He is apparently on the verge of a deal to Inter Milan, but we are not too far behind.
Staying in Italy, we are interested in AC Milan's Suso. This is the guy who used to be on Liverpool's book. He has had a good season in Serie A and looks like he'd do a good job filling in for Eriksen. I remember seeing him a few times for Liverpool and always expected him to make it there.
Jean Michael Seri is going to cost us £33 million. He's just won the best African player in Ligue 1 award. The bidding war is thought to be between us and Arsenal.
Martin Jol has been talking up Mahrez as the exact type of player we need to take us on to the next level.

Here's another question. Do we think it's worth spending big money the year before we move into the new stadium to solidfy our position in the top four, or do we aim to do the same as last and hope for the best with bargain buys?

Rumour's these past 48 hours
=============================
We are rumoured to have really made our interest known to Patrik Schick's people. He is apparently on the verge of a deal to Inter Milan, but we are not too far behind.

Why? Unless we're going two up front, which will necessitate a radical change in our formation (if we want to keep 3 at the back, it will likely move to a 3-4-1-2, with Eriksen shifted into central midfield alongside Wanyama and Alli transitioning to a lone no.10 behind the two strikers). But if we are going two up front...then it makes a bit more sense (Schick will give us pace up front, we have another pacy second striker in Son that we can use while he gets up to speed, and Janssen still will get minutes as Kane's backup. Plus, more space for Sterling).

Staying in Italy, we are interested in AC Milan's Suso. This is the guy who used to be on Liverpool's book. He has had a good season in Serie A and looks like he'd do a good job filling in for Eriksen. I remember seeing him a few times for Liverpool and always expected him to make it there.

Again, why? Eriksen, Alli, Lamela, Edwards, N'Koudou, Sissoko..don't we have enough AMs? Especially if we're going two up top - then there's even less space for a dedicated AM.

Jean Michael Seri is going to cost us £33 million. He's just won the best African player in Ligue 1 award. The bidding war is thought to be between us and Arsenal.

Talented playmaker, but a bit on the small side. Not sure how or where he'd fit, given that we have Winks to fulfill that role in our central midfield.

Martin Jol has been talking up Mahrez as the exact type of player we need to take us on to the next level.

This only works if a) we want to replace Lamela or something, and b) Mahrez agrees to ride the bench quite a bit, given that he isn't displacing Eriksen or Alli off the bat.

Here's another question. Do we think it's worth spending big money the year before we move into the new stadium to solidfy our position in the top four, or do we aim to do the same as last and hope for the best with bargain buys?

I'm always of the view that spending on relative certainties is better than saving it up for eventualities which might or might not come - however, I'm not fussed if most of our spending this summer is financed by sales.

Thanks for posting the summary. On this, it depends on what you mean by 'big'. I cant see Levy spending truly big on any player (ie £40m - £50m plus) however I can see us buying say 3 players in the £15m - £20m bracket who were the right players.

Maybe I'm tainted by SIssoko and Lamela, but I'm not confident that if we spend £30m odd on someone that we won't end up with another player who doesn't live up to the price tag

Spend what we need to. I am coming around to the idea of Mahrez. If we had him and Zaha, your game-changing options increase twofold immediately. Both are proven Prem players too.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Zaha really has grown on me over the season, I like that he picked to play for the Ivory Coast than wait for the easy option of England.

He seems to have beefed up as well, which has made him less lightweight.

The only thing against him is the refs don't give him a lot as he has been known to like a little dive

Spend what we need to. I am coming around to the idea of Mahrez. If we had him and Zaha, your game-changing options increase twofold immediately. Both are proven Prem players too.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

If it increase two-fold with these two signings, then who is our current game changing option?

I'm also coming around to the idea of Mahrez, partly because he's younger than I thought (26). His also hurts teams more than Lamela does. Zaha on the other hand, I think is over-rated

Can't see Mahrez AND Zaha. Unless both Sissoko AND Lamela are both off. I think Sissoko out and probably Zaha in is more likely.

Wouldn't want Mahrez and Zaha - two players who will disappear off for a couple months every other year. No thanks!

Kante for Leicester and Dele for us were both bargain buys so I guess it depends on how you look at it. Alternatively Sissoko was not cheap and he has been utter gash. The aim should be to strengthen our squad in the best way way we can. Even the strongest teams tend to strengthen when they are doing well.

Wouldn't want Mahrez and Zaha - two players who will disappear off for a couple months every other year. No thanks!

I do not see Levy buying two more African players that we could lose for up to 6 weeks every 2 years. We are fortunate that Kenya do not have a very good team but both Algeria and Côte d’Ivoire tend to qualify on a regular basis. I believe it would have to be a choice between the two players but definitely not both

I do not see Levy buying two more African players that we could lose for up to 6 weeks every 2 years. We are fortunate that Kenya do not have a very good team but both Algeria and Côte d’Ivoire tend to qualify on a regular basis. I believe it would have to be a choice between the two players but definitely not both
If that was the case I really like Zaha, but Mahrez edges it for me.....

I understand why the AFCON is held when it is (although I'm unsure why it's held so often), but this is the simple fact of the matter for European clubs. You can't risk losing your players for up to a month in the middle of the season, especially if they're important cogs at the club.

Zaha + Mahrez in addition to Victor would be a disaster in the (admittedly unlikely, but still possible) scenario of them all being called to a tournament in January. Three first reamers out of the 18-21 that we can afford to keep around at any given time (with the others being youth-team players, the backup goalies, etcetera)? Too risky. The alternative is asking them to forego the duty and privilege of representing their nations at the AFCON if we're in a crisis and can't let them go, and that would be an ugly, unjustified affair for all involved.

Kante for Leicester and Dele for us were both bargain buys so I guess it depends on how you look at it. Alternatively Sissoko was not cheap and he has been utter gash. The aim should be to strengthen our squad in the best way way we can. Even the strongest teams tend to strengthen when they are doing well.

Successful teams (e.g. Ferguson's United at their peak) tend to go for just the one big signing a year.

Simply Mahrez in for Sissoko would serve us perfectly IMO.

Back