• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

Mane is on more than we could afford to pay. End of. The "non-superstars" you mention would be outside our pay scales too.

Chelsea won the league because they had no Europe and were surprisingly fortunate with injuries. If they had lost, Kante, Hazard or Costa for extended periods, do you really think they would have won it? In the cup semi final they were able to hold us and then bring on Hazard and Costa. We just can't compete at that level at the moment.
They have been "fortunate" with almost no injuries for years, even when playing multiple competitions. Perhaps they are doing something right in relation to training and recovery?

Mahrez will cost about 40m. He has had one good season. Doesn't seem to be a hard working player which poch needs. Zaha would be better in my opinion, would fit in with the squad. He has grown as a player for the last few years. He can also be molded more than Mahrez.

They have been "fortunate" with almost no injuries for years, even when playing multiple competitions. Perhaps they are doing something right in relation to training and recovery?

Realistically the fact they played in no European competitions this season has been a massive help for them. The travel time alone in the Europa League is a massive hindrance.

We can't use that as an excuse though, if we would've invested in higher quality players instead of the likes of Sissoko, we would've stood a much better chance.
Funny, in hindsight how many Spurs fans on Twitter dismissed Mané as a good signing..

Realistically the fact they played in no European competitions this season has been a massive help for them. The travel time alone in the Europa League is a massive hindrance.

We can't use that as an excuse though, if we would've invested in higher quality players instead of the likes of Sissoko, we would've stood a much better chance.
Funny, in hindsight how many Spurs fans on Twitter dismissed Mané as a good signing..

Welcome to the board @Sonbelievable .

It has always been my wish to receive more likes than posts, and you have achieved that with your very first post. Well done!!!!

Successful teams (e.g. Ferguson's United at their peak) tend to go for just the one big signing a year.

Simply Mahrez in for Sissoko would serve us perfectly IMO.

One successful big signing would be a very good summer. Throw in a couple of talented younger players to replace a couple of outgoings and it would be an excellent summer.

I understand why the AFCON is held when it is (although I'm unsure why it's held so often), but this is the simple fact of the matter for European clubs. You can't risk losing your players for up to a month in the middle of the season, especially if they're important cogs at the club.

Zaha + Mahrez in addition to Victor would be a disaster in the (admittedly unlikely, but still possible) scenario of them all being called to a tournament in January. Three first reamers out of the 18-21 that we can afford to keep around at any given time (with the others being youth-team players, the backup goalies, etcetera)? Too risky. The alternative is asking them to forego the duty and privilege of representing their nations at the AFCON if we're in a crisis and can't let them go, and that would be an ugly, unjustified affair for all involved.

I think it's for financial reasons, few teams travel to Africa for friendlies and the teams from there aren't as strong as they use to be and can't get invitations to play abroad.

One successful big signing would be a very good summer. Throw in a couple of talented younger players to replace a couple of outgoings and it would be an excellent summer.

Juan Mata

yes he has just turned 29 but he is still a very good player who can offer goals and assists and has that special ability to unlock defences. 1 year left on his Utd contract means he shouldnt cost much

PL proven, a winner, and a good character

Juan Mata

yes he has just turned 29 but he is still a very good player who can offer goals and assists and has that special ability to unlock defences. 1 year left on his Utd contract means he shouldnt cost much

PL proven, a winner, and a good character

Not for me. I don't think he's particularly effective in his pressing and thus wouldn't be a great fit in our system. Not a clear upgrade on our current starters either and quite similar to Lamela in style of play. Arguably also not that effective wide meaning he would be competing with Alli and Eriksen for the #10 role in our 4-2-3-1 and not really fit in our 3-4-3/5-2-3 system. Probably on huge wages after Chelsea and United, the fee might be small-ish if all other big teams stay away and United want to sell him to us (both unlikely imo). But at 29 and on huge wages the cost is still significant.

Not for me. I don't think he's particularly effective in his pressing and thus wouldn't be a great fit in our system. Not a clear upgrade on our current starters either and quite similar to Lamela in style of play. Arguably also not that effective wide meaning he would be competing with Alli and Eriksen for the #10 role in our 4-2-3-1 and not really fit in our 3-4-3/5-2-3 system. Probably on huge wages after Chelsea and United, the fee might be small-ish if all other big teams stay away and United want to sell him to us (both unlikely imo). But at 29 and on huge wages the cost is still significant.

ok, some interesting points, cant say i agree with them but there you go. :) I think Poch could improve his pressing awareness and ability. Also he is more consistent than the current Lamela for example. I dont see why Dele, Eriksen and Mata couldnt play together as the attacking 3 behind Harry. 3 intelligent players. The wages aspect would be an issue but it depends on his individual aspirations. Does he still want to play CL football. Does he want to join a side on the cusp of something big which is genuinely ready to win a PL title? For these would he accept a very good basic wage and big bonuses? Imo he definitely has at least 3 more years left in him at the highest level. The only downside is his lack of pace. He is not slow but he is not quick either and if im honest id like to see us improve our speed on the counter attack.

so do you have any potential players that can fit into the "One successful big signing would be a very good summer" category?

I think it is that attacking wide right, drifting in-field position, where we could do with with a serious upgrade..........Douglas Costa? Bernado Silva? Lorenzo Insigne?

or we simply stick with Lamela as long as he comes back fit and firing, and genuinely promote Marcus Edwards as his immediate back up.

ok, some interesting points, cant say i agree with them but there you go. :) I think Poch could improve his pressing awareness and ability. Also he is more consistent than the current Lamela for example. I dont see why Dele, Eriksen and Mata couldnt play together as the attacking 3 behind Harry. 3 intelligent players. The wages aspect would be an issue but it depends on his individual aspirations. Does he still want to play CL football. Does he want to join a side on the cusp of something big which is genuinely ready to win a PL title? For these would he accept a very good basic wage and big bonuses? Imo he definitely has at least 3 more years left in him at the highest level. The only downside is his lack of pace. He is not slow but he is not quick either and if im honest id like to see us improve our speed on the counter attack.

so do you have any potential players that can fit into the "One successful big signing would be a very good summer" category?

I think it is that attacking wide right, drifting in-field position, where we could do with with a serious upgrade..........Douglas Costa? Bernado Silva? Lorenzo Insigne?

or we simply stick with Lamela as long as he comes back fit and firing, and genuinely promote Marcus Edwards as his immediate back up.

I think he will have other CL suitors. And I'm not sure Poch can just instill a sufficient pressing awareness and ability into him at this stage. And if we're talking about a big money signing I think it should be someone that's already a good fit, not someone that we'll have to mould.

Again his best position (imo) is as a #10. Why sign our big money signing to play him in a position that's not his best position?

Plenty of very talented players in the world. I don't know all of them, but I'm sure for the kind of money we're talking here a lot of very good players could be available.

Rodriguez shares the same agent with Moaninho, Jorge Mendes. That Mendes man is becoming more and more influential with Utd transfers in and out.

He has a long standing relationship with United, selling them Ronaldo, Nani, Anderson, Di Maria, Bebe. He was just mysteriously ousted by Raiola last summer. Could be a precursor to De Gea going to other way.

Back