• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

It's funny really how so many fans fall over themselves about signing foreign players, especially French ones (all I can personally think of is that most of these guys are great in FM and that's how the reputation starts) and yet the thought of signing Joe Cole (who by all accounts has done brilliant in their league this year according to the two frenchman I know!) is treated with disgust! :lol:

I've never been a fan of Joe Cole personally, but I wonder if people would be more accepting of him if he was Le Joe Colineo!

Important bit highlighted - I'll take the utter brick he has been in England his whole career to assess him.

Assou-Ekotto considering future

Benoit Assou-Ekotto may seek to leave Tottenham Hotspur at the end of the season.

Assou-Ekotto, 28, signed for Spurs from Lens in 2006 and is a key part of the first-team, but he has revealed he has spoken to chairman Daniel Levy about a potential transfer and is eager to move on to bigger things.

"Everything is possible," he told France Football. "When I met the chairman last January he told me that, if a club bigger than Tottenham came in for me, he wouldn't necessarily be against my departure.

"If there is a change at Tottenham - some more money is made available - I wouldn't be against the idea of staying, but otherwise I'll try to move forwards, as I did when I left Lens."

Asked if he would be looking to join a club that regularly participates in the Champions League, he said: "Yes. All players want to play in this competition.

"A few months ago, I said I never wanted to play in the Europa League because that competition is useless.

"I have a gentleman's agreement with the chairman. As he is a man of his word, I hope that will make things easier if a great club comes in."

~~~~

LOL

Charming! I bet Bilbao and Ath Madrid are glad their players didnt have that attitude as well

Elia seems to be a bit like Royston Drenthe for me. Developed an inflated reputation off a few high profile games and then slipped into obscurity after the big move. Not sure about him personally, didn't really hit the heights in Germany or Italy.

its amazing how far the Europa League/UEFA Cup has fallen.

If he leaves, I wouldn't mind us going for Criscito or Cissokho.

Although it might mean getting in Vertonghen means he'll be left back (if Ekotto does leave) meaning a Caulker/Kaboul centre half partnership.

Seen Southampton fan claim we've been scouting Danny Fox,
could be tied in with Assou-Ekotto wanting to leave.
You'd think we'd make it easy and just get Leighton Baines in.

Would be thrilled if this is all true.

Ajax star Jan Vertonghen has dropped a huge hint that he is set to join Tottenham this summer.

The Belgian defender was talking after being winning the Dutch Golden Boot presented by De Telegraaf to the Eredivisie Player of the Year.

Arsenal were believed to be heading the chase for the 25-year-old, whilst Manchester United have also been linked.

But now Vertonghen has suggested that he could be on course for a move to White Hart Lane.

"I owe much to Ajax, I have always given my whole heart and soul for them. My appreciation for the club and the fans is great," said Vertonghen, who has encouraged his current employers not to stand in his way.

"It would be terrible if my departure would be a long and distorted situation as Ajax would keep asking for a great price 'till the bone'.

"Of course I want Ajax to become financially better, but the amount Tottenham are willing to pay, maybe with a little bit extra, is very reasonable.

"In a year from now I could leave the club for free. I hope Ajax are aware of it as the situation of Maarten Stekelenburg's transfer was very harsh. He only arrived at the end of pre-season at AS Roma. I want to flow in fluently, directly with the other Spurs players.

"Tottenham is a fantastic traditional club who play football in a way I like.

"Ajax was the perfect club for me, but Spurs will be very close in nearing that already. They buy young, eager and offensive-minded players."

Spurs' Rafael van der Vaart has already revealed he has encouraged Vertonghen to move to White Hart Lane, whilst manager Harry Redknapp confirmed his interest earlier this month.

I guess I started to really get excited thinking about this and did what any self-respectable fan would do...

Drew up a new formation.

If we're all healthy*, it would leave us with 4 CBs with real quality (Caulker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Kaboom) 3 of which can pass it about and make runs into the opposing half (Dawson's just not this type). And going with what we have now** it looks like an extremely solid option both defensively and in attack.

you could change out Walker with Lennon if you wanted, but it looks near impenetrable defensively, and adding a clinical finisher at striker i'd say its a good option to look into.

Should challenge for a lot more corners as well. Caulker, Kaboom, Vertonghen, Sandro, Bale all can head the ball well.

opinions??

*big if...

**i know i know, we might not have Defoe, Ade, Modric or Bale.

Last edited:
Egg on face time for me (as I said he would choose football over money). City are ahead of ourselves and Man Utd. All three clubs are offering him top wage, the player (and his clan) are seeking the best overall package (first team football, preferred position, progression and development, champions league and so on). His family are obsessed with achieving greatness and Hazard himself wants to be the best player in the world. As much as I hate on City, their foundations are far superior to most. We've got a bid in with Lille, its been accepted much like City and Utd but it's the player who has to decide.

At least Levy is in there trying to sign him. All you can ask for. Nothing you can do if the player fudges you off and goes elsewhere.

Sounds plausible. CL is probably a deal breaker you would think but obviously not the only one.

Seen Southampton fan claim we've been scouting Danny Fox,
could be tied in with Assou-Ekotto wanting to leave.
You'd think we'd make it easy and just get Leighton Baines in.

Danny Fox? GHod he's brick.

If we are in for any defenders at Southampton it should be for young Luke Shaw.

WTF is it with Levy and his "gentleman's agreements"?! Very strange.

As for Benny, we all know he's just in it for the money, so no surprise there. At least he is honest.
Whether he is good enough for a better team than us, or whether Levy/Redknapp want to sell him, is a totally different matter.

its amazing how far the Europa League/UEFA Cup has fallen.

If he leaves, I wouldn't mind us going for Criscito or Cissokho.

Although it might mean getting in Vertonghen means he'll be left back (if Ekotto does leave) meaning a Caulker/Kaboul centre half partnership.

I can't see Vertonghen playing anywhere but the middle on a regular basis, just like I couldn't see Kaboul playing on the right regularly. Always helps in a pinch (like we've currently found ourselves).

Was surprised to see those comments from Benny, and I know he can come off as a bit naive/nonchalant, but was he not paying attention at all last summer? He has what, 2.5 years left on his contract?

I guess I started to really get excited thinking about this and did what any self-respectable fan would do...

Drew up a new formation.

If we're all healthy*, it would leave us with 4 CBs with real quality (Caulker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Kaboom) 3 of which can pass it about and make runs into the opposing half (Dawson's just not this type). And going with what we have now** it looks like an extremely solid option both defensively and in attack.

you could change out Walker with Lennon if you wanted, but it looks near impenetrable defensively, and adding a clinical finisher at striker i'd say its a good option to look into.

opinions??

*big if...

**i know i know, we might not have Defoe, Ade, Modric or Bale.

Does this mean Lennon has no future? Not so sure i would be happy if Ade was our top rated striker next season. Out of curiosity who would be stepping up if Ade was injured or during the ANC?

Back