• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs WOOLWICH ARS*NAL OMT***

Alan Smith has picked his North London XI:

---------- Lloris
Walker Dawson Caulker BAE
Cazorla Wheelchair Dembele
Walcott Defoe Bale

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/9901827/Alan-Smiths-north-London-XI.html

Not sure about Walker myself.

Other then that i would swap Dembele for Sandro. Dembele has been very hit and miss at time this season, whilst Sandro was consistently a beast and would allow Cazorla and Wheelchair to roam forward with the ball.

Bae gets in due to a lack of decent LB's, not seen enough of Monreal to rate him yet.

Just as Defoe gets in due to a lack of decent strikers.

Last edited:
People did these combined teams last season and most were basically Spurs + Van Persie. In reality there's not much between the two sides, there's a couple of obvious choices and then the rest are pick'ems.

So 8 Spurs players (including our entire defence) and just 3 from Arsenal?

Proof that the balance of power has turned, perhaps?

blooddiamond.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it doesn't mean brick. Some **** in the telegraph chatting gonad*s means absolute fudge all. It kind of means fudge all if we beat those ****s. We aren't West Ham, it doesn't define our season getting a plucky win over local rivals, that should not be enough for us these days.

What we have to do is actually finish above them or get a trophy or two. Then perhaps we can start talking about some fudging balance of power, up until that point having a circle jerk to what some prick in a newspaper reckons isn't going to mean anything, it'll actually just be pretty gay.

*Apologies if it seems like I'm having a pop, very hungover and "the tide is turning" comments at this point really wind me up

there's a couple of obvious choices and then the rest are pick'ems.

This. This is pretty much what the media do with all rivals tbh. You cant actually declare a team "better", or talk about a "shift in power" until the league standings are finalised at the end of the season; something that cant be used to sell papers between September and January, or February and May. So all they can really do is look at vague, possibly arbritrary differences in personel - its something they do with Emirates Marketing Project/Utd all the time. Last season we probably had the better players, but that didnt stop them finishing above us because football is more than just who you play - its how you play them, how they combine, how theyre coached. This is the flip this season (as much as these "north london XI" articles would like to suggest): we've (so far...) mitigated the limitations in our squad better than they have. And if we are to consistently match/surpass them we're probably going to have to do that for the forseeable future (again, similar to the Man Utd with Emirates Marketing Project); I firmly believe that our management appear commited and able to do so :)

blooddiamond.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it doesn't mean brick. Some **** in the telegraph chatting gonad*s means absolute fudge all. It kind of means fudge all if we beat those ****s. We aren't West Ham, it doesn't define our season getting a plucky win over local rivals, that should not be enough for us these days.

What we have to do is actually finish above them or get a trophy or two. Then perhaps we can start talking about some fudging balance of power, up until that point having a circle jerk to what some prick in a newspaper reckons isn't going to mean anything, it'll actually just be pretty gay.

*Apologies if it seems like I'm having a pop, very hungover and "the tide is turning" comments at this point really wind me up

whoooaaa :eek: calm down.

I know what you mean about "the tide is turning" but I think finishing above them and pushing on is what we all want, everyone is just looking for a sign that it's in progress and this team picked by a gooner, us being narrowly ahead and hopefully winning on Sunday are all good signs.

I am soooo desperate for the team to smash these cnuts! I need three early goals to nil by the 70 minute mark, so as to relax for the remaining time. You just know these toss stains will find a way. Watch for them swan diving in the penalty area.

And Villas-Boas confirmed that Jermain Defoe could be fit in time for the derby, though Younes Kaboul will miss out.

"Jermain trained with the team these last two days so hopefully he is going to be available for selection. Tomorrow he trains again, so he’s in contention," he added.

"I think we are looking at two more weeks [for Kaboul]. There hasn't been a setback but his reintroduction has taken more time. Every time he feels pain in his knee."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/mar/01/tottenham-arsenal-north-london-derby

Tottenham and Arsenal legends' best north London derby memories
Martin Chivers, Bob Wilson, Ian Wright and Gary Mabbutt – plus others – recall great days at the Lane, Highbury and Wembley

Cliff Jones: Arsenal 4-4 Spurs ( 22 February 1958 )
I was doing national service in St John's Wood when Bill Nicholson told me to be at Highbury for 1.30pm for my debut. I travelled by tube, arrived at the marbled halls, and they would not let me in. I said: "I've just signed for Spurs for £35,000," but the doorman replied: "I've heard that before, son." Bill Nicholson had to be sent for. He said: "That's him," shook my hand, and added: "By the way, you're late." I hadn't even trained with my team-mates.

Martin Chivers: Spurs 1-0 Arsenal ( 20 January 1968 )
It was my first home game after signing from Southampton. The atmosphere was incredible but the pitch was sand and mud. Afterwards Jimmy Greaves asked: "How did you enjoy that, big fella?" "Great," I said, "but I'm not sure I can play on that." Suddenly he bellows across the dressing room: "Bill, Chivs just told me he can't play on that pitch." To which Bill's reply was: "You better to get used to it son, you'll be playing on it every other bloody week."

Bob Wilson: Spurs 0-1 Arsenal ( 3 May 1971 )
The first part of the Double was the greatest moment of my career, even ahead of the FA Cup final. There were 50,000 at White Hart Lane, with at least that many locked out, and we had to draw 0-0 or win to take the title. It was goalless until the 88th minute when Ray Kennedy scored. The last few minutes were chaotic. Alan Mullery kicked me in the head. But we held on.

Alan Smith: Spurs 2-3 Arsenal ( 10 September 1988 )
There are not many north London derbies with five goals in 12 minutes but this had that and more. Nigel Winterburn scored a lovely left-footer after Tony Adams went on a rampaging run. I headed in at the back post. And Gazza scored his first goal for Spurs with his sock before kicking down some advertising hoardings.

Gary Mabbutt: Spurs 3-1 Arsenal ( 14 April 1991 )
It has to be the FA Cup semi-final of 1991. Arsenal were going for the Double and we were mid-table. But we had Gazza. Everyone remembers his wonderful free-kick but we also overran Arsenal that day. It was the first ever semi-final at Wembley and that got us bragging rights in north London for a while.

Before the semi-final, Gary was good friends with Simon Mayo and I knew people at Aquascutum and we were winding the guys up – saying that Arsenal had already made their FA Cup final single and been measured for their Cup final suits. And we told this to the players and they were absolutely fuming. It was a little bit of trying to get the chaps even more up for it, although they didn't need to be. It was a fantastic performance and we thoroughly deserved the victory.

Ian Wright: Arsenal 3-1 ( 22 November 1996 )
Any win over Spurs was always special – but for pure excitement, Tony Adams and Dennis Bergkamp scoring two absolute beauties in the final two minutes of Arsène Wenger's first north London derby is hard to beat.

Back