• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

From a randomer on Skyscrapercity

THFC Boxholders have been invited to Hotspur way, WC 27/07/2015, this is to be shown/discuss the new Corporate Hospitality, they are expecting to be shown stadium plans at this visit. I don't know if they have been told this or that they have just presumed this. But as the next council meeting is the week before (23rd) and they did mention pre-application to be possibly discussed at this meeting, maybe some plans may be made public around this time? Maybe only part internal or corporate plans but still might be something.

When I asked him how he knew this he replied:

From a company that currently have a box at WHL, they have invites for 2 people in a 2 hour slot, I did offer my services :)

once we pull our finger out ... we all surely must all realise the current stadium plans are old and just to similar in having a "blue emirates" ...

Why can we never do things the logical way? why not just make something unique? if we are going to copy anyone why oh why copy them?

Hate to say it, Chelseas unique ugly new stadium gets the nod over our attempt that came free out of a box of frosties.

once we pull our finger out ... we all surely must all realise the current stadium plans are old and just to similar in having a "blue emirates" ...

Why can we never do things the logical way? why not just make something unique? if we are going to copy anyone why oh why copy them?

Hate to say it, Chelseas unique ugly new stadium gets the nod over our attempt that came free out of a box of frosties.

What rock have you been hiding under?!!

KSS, and their design, were booted off the job two years ago. Populous were appointed in their place and have drawn up new plans.

Who knows whether what we get will be good, bad or indifferent?

But it certainly won't be the same as the design about which you are complaining!

What rock have you been hiding under?!!

KSS, and their design, were booted off the job two years ago. Populous were appointed in their place and have drawn up new plans.

Who knows whether what we get will be good, bad or indifferent?

But it certainly won't be the same as the design about which you are complaining!

These plans that populous are to make are only to modify the fit out internally is the last i read.

Looking at the pictures from the build, i can't see anything different from the design forwarded by kss.

No rocks mate, just a concern hoping that someone may be able to shed some light on the concern. Obviously you don't know either.

These plans that populous are to make are only to modify the fit out internally is the last i read.

Looking at the pictures from the build, i can't see anything different from the design forwarded by kss.

No rocks mate, just a concern hoping that someone may be able to shed some light on the concern. Obviously you don't know either.

My understanding is that KSS were dropped because of concerns about the similarity of their designs to the Emirates. I think that we will be seeing something quite different but we need to be realistic and recognise that a desire for an distinctive design needs to be offset against build time and cost.

The "internal fit out" official line taken by Spurs was only ever a diversionary tactic. You don't boot out a well trusted and respected architecture firm, which has already recently delivered a top quality, universally acclaimed new training ground for the club and replace them with one of the foremost stadium architecture firms in the world just to make tweaks to the "internal fit out". Seriously.....you just don't. Especially not when you're Daniel Levy and when, more than anything else in the world, you hate to p*ss away money.

Nor would David Keirle - chairman of KSS - have been quite so utterly despondent in an email exchange with a poster on skyscrapercity two years ago had his company's design still been what will essentially be delivered. And nor would he have talked about Populous' completely new design.

Nor would Lord Ashcroft have tweeted, a little over a year ago, about being very impressed by the new design he had just been shown while in the Director's lounge for a game.

For what it's worth, various itk sources have also separately claimed that the new exterior has much more glass.

Planning consent has already been granted for a change to the basement plan. It shows a mass of extra facilities and changing areas on the opposite side of the stadium to the home and away changing areas that were already in the plans. Spurs' claim is that it is to enable the club to stage "tournament football" of the four team, pre season variety. And if anyone believes that, they'll believe anything! Especially since the new areas also include a taping room and a separate, female changing area - both of which are features specifically required of stadiums used for American Football. As if that wasn't enough, the new piling plans hint very strongly at the inclusion of a sliding pitch.

Mix all of the aforementioned together with all sorts of stories in the media and from itks about ongoing talks between Spurs and the NFL and it's hard to come up with any other conclusion than that the new stadium has very much been redesigned with accommodating American Football in mind. And which architectural firm probably has the most experience of working with the NFL? Why, Populous, of course. Coincidence? I think not. Now we have a genuine reason why a well trusted and respected stadium architecture firm like KSS were booted off the job. And it's not because of internal tweaks! Oh, and by the way, it was David Keirle himself who first claimed that Populous' brief was to design a stadium that could also accommodate the NFL.

There are more planning applications in the pipeline. Spurs have admitted as much. They have also admitted that, since it is now seven years since the KSS design was first revealed, the new design needs to be brought up to date. So, in summary, just "internal fit out"? Not a chance!

P.S. We might learn a bit more about the new design as soon as July 23rd, when Haringey councillors are due to be presented with the new plans as a basis for consultation before they are eventually submitted for new planning permission. We might even, if we're lucky, get to see new renders!

Last edited:
They were deopped because the club became some what frustrated with their lack of imagination or willingness to change the design when asked to look at it again (improve it) and future proof the design (other events and possible future expansion). That's my understanding, I wouldn't be surprised if the exterior stays the same but with a new roof and different style of tiers and layout.

My understanding is that KSS were dropped because of concerns about the similarity of their designs to the Emirates. I think that we will be seeing something quite different but we need to be realistic and recognise that a desire for an distinctive design needs to be offset against build time and cost.

I think it was more to do with the fact that, if we were to get the NFL on board, we'd have far more chance with a global architecture firm that probably has more experience than any other firm of working with the NFL than if we used an English architecture firm that has never designed an American Football stadium in its existence!

But yes, the constraints of the site, time and cost will dictate much of what can and can't be done. And we'll still use the same footprint (as the KSS design) and essentially have a bowl shaped stadium with a single tier end.

Last edited:
I think it was more to do with the fact that, if we're to get the NFL on board, we'd have far more chance with a global architecture firm that probably has more experience of working with the NFL than any other than if we used an English architecture firm that has never designed an American Football stadium in its existence!

But yes, the constraints of the site and cost will dictate much of what can and can't be done. And we'll still use the same footprint (as the KSS design) and essentially have a bowl shaped stadium with a single tier end.

I've mentioned this before in this thread and it is a friend of friend story, so feel free to be sceptical. A friend of mine met a Populous employee at a party about a year and a half back. He told my friend that they were brought on board because the club were unimpressed with the Emirates with a kop design. There could be more to it than that but I trust my mate, he is not one to spin a story.

I've mentioned this before in this thread and it is a friend of friend story, so feel free to be sceptical. A friend of mine met a Populous employee at a party about a year and a half back. He told my friend that they were brought on board because the club were unimpressed with the Emirates with a kop design. There could be more to it than that but I trust my mate, he is not one to spin a story.

It's quite possible that that is also true. But I'm absolutely convinced that the primary reason for the switch was the need to work with an architecture firm with NFL expertise.

It's quite possible that that is also true. But I'm absolutely convinced that the primary reason for the switch was the need to work with an architecture firm with NFL expertise.

That sounds very plausible (great post above, mate).

If it was up to me there'd be two stands without boxes. So for example 4 tier corperate heaven from the south West corner all the way to the North East corner, the East stand would have two big f@ck off tiers looking like a modeen bigger version of the Shelf Side (before Irvine Scholar ruined it) with the south stand being the kop, all of which has straight tiers not curvy. Or East & West stands as corporate heaven, north stand stand as two tiers with the upper being much larger than the lower with the South stand Kop.

Sorry, bored but we can dream :)

From a poster on skyscrapercity who, I have reason to believe, does actually have some genuine, if limited, info on the stadium:

The plans will be released very very soon. I know we're all expecting it anyway so it's not like it's a bolt out the blue & I am revealing an unexpected story but being in the dark is almost, almost a thing of the past. I don't know how much is being let out of the bag but it's seems to be enough to satisfy! Not next week is all I shall say for now.

I know there's always likely to be people making up things to get peoples hopes up, or just for the hell of being an a**hole. I pass this on because I am as excited as all of you. I have no knowledge of what's coming out just the time is almost here...

Also from skyscrapercity, from the Stamford Bridge thread:

As for where we play when we move out of Stamford Bridge, Wembley is looking the favourite. When asked that Spurs could have first refusal on Wembley the consultant replied “money talks.”

Loadsamoney. No class.

You almost wonder whether they've timed it deliberately to f*ck us up while also meeting their own needs.

Hello, MK.......

If it was up to me there'd be two stands without boxes. So for example 4 tier corperate heaven from the south West corner all the way to the North East corner, the East stand would have two big f@ck off tiers looking like a modeen bigger version of the Shelf Side (before Irvine Scholar ruined it) with the south stand being the kop, all of which has straight tiers not curvy. Or East & West stands as corporate heaven, north stand stand as two tiers with the upper being much larger than the lower with the South stand Kop.

Sorry, bored but we can dream :)

And a great big c**k that crows everytime we score?

Slightly related

I've just at taken on a consultancy Contract for a new build site for a large logistics organisation

Their QS had done some tender work and one of the bidders were McLaren who IIRC did the trading ground and have been looking for a JV partner for the new WHL

They just pulled out of the project in looking at due to a resource shortage in their "core place of work"

I'm meeting them when I get back from holiday for a debrief so I'll ask if it's WHL there waiting on

Back