• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Any one listen to the game podcast? Although Marcotti begrudgingly gives us credit the consensus seems to be the Arsenal back two were the best pairing in the league.

Think Alderweireld is probably the most underrated player in the league, some rate him but he just does not get the credit he deserves. GOt to hope we keep up with our progress as there will be some very rich clubs coming a knocking due to the lack of top quality CBs. *his fitness / injury record is superb too

Any one listen to the game podcast? Although Marcotti begrudgingly gives us credit the consensus seems to be the Arsenal back two were the best pairing in the league.

Think Alderweireld is probably the most underrated player in the league, some rate him but he just does not get the credit he deserves. GOt to hope we keep up with our progress as there will be some very rich clubs coming a knocking due to the lack of top quality CBs. *his fitness / injury record is superb too

I think this has to do with the fact that he makes defending look so easy. He's not a "blood and thunder" defender like Terry and the likes, nor a smooth operator like Ferdinand, he just reads the game and intercepts the ball before the danger happens most of the time. And as such it doesen't look as impressive as when Terry comes flying into a last ditch tackle, or clearing it off the line. Alderweireld does this aswell when needed, but more often than not he doesen't need to because that situation never transpired in the first place because of anticipation and correct positioning from Toby.

I think that if you look at ours and Southamptons goals against before and after Toby, that will look pretty impressive.

Sure do. It's good most weeks.

Towards the end of the latest one Marcotti and one of the other guys acknowledge Toby and Verts to be the best pair of central defenders. The stats speak for themselves, last season we were the best defence in the league IIRC. This season we conceded 3 goals! They've got Ajax history plus Spurs experience and excellent full back/ Hugo besides them. Wouldn't swap our entire back four for any club in Europe.

Maybe they benefit from our defend from the front culture but I don't stress when we are defending set pieces like I've traditionally done over the years of being a Spurs fan.

Either way Toby is amazing. 3 fouls committed in the league in seven games! Ledleyesque.

Sure do. It's good most weeks.

Towards the end of the latest one Marcotti and one of the other guys acknowledge Toby and Verts to be the best pair of central defenders. .

yes one of the other guys did, but when he did I kind of expect everyone to remember that we had the best defence last year and then champion the two, find it odd for instance the other guy said Blind and Bailey, Morgan & huth and the barnsley pair. I am not sensitive but surely it is a no brainer?

just don't think he specifically and the pair more generally are as highly thought of as they should be.

There's no such thing as 'flying under the radar' these days, really. One stumble in terms of final league placing and there's going to be an orgy of wad-waving and tapping up.

I think this has to do with the fact that he makes defending look so easy. He's not a "blood and thunder" defender like Terry and the likes, nor a smooth operator like Ferdinand, he just reads the game and intercepts the ball before the danger happens most of the time. And as such it doesen't look as impressive as when Terry comes flying into a last ditch tackle, or clearing it off the line. Alderweireld does this aswell when needed, but more often than not he doesen't need to because that situation never transpired in the first place because of anticipation and correct positioning from Toby.

I think that if you look at ours and Southamptons goals against before and after Toby, that will look pretty impressive.

kinda like ledley king. you know how good he is when he is not playing.

I'm still baffled we got Alderweireld for only £15m!
Think of all the money brickty have thrown away on defenders:
Mangala £32m
Otamendi £32m
John fudgeing Stones £50m!

And none of them are even close to being as good as Toby! The most impressive thing about him is that he does this brilliant defending without hardly touching a hair on the attackers! He rarely gives away free-kicks, and almost never gets booked. Why Simeone let him go is beyond me! But thanks!!

I have said it before but he reads the game so well and because of that he gets into position where the danger is before it happens. I know some will say i am getting carried away but the last defender i saw who did that as well was Bobby Moore. Different players in many ways but their reading of the game is pretty much the same.

Make vertonghen play better too. Him and leaders at the back would be a little too good

He does but you can also say the same in reverse, Toby has always been a good player ( and he was one i really wanted the summer we went for him) Toby did not look so good with Belgium without Jan alongside him and he has said that he is playing better now then he has ever done since Ajax ( and guess who his partner was there).

I have said it before but he reads the game so well and because of that he gets into position where the danger is before it happens. I know some will say i am getting carried away but the last defender i saw who did that as well was Bobby Moore. Different players in many ways but their reading of the game is pretty much the same.

Ledley? Wasn't around for Moore, but Toby just screams 'Ledley with two knees' to me. :)

Ledley? Wasn't around for Moore, but Toby just screams 'Ledley with two knees' to me. :)

Ledley was a great player no doubt ( but because of injurys we probably never saw the best of him), Moore was the best i have seen and i put Toby up there with him in reading the game.

Ledley was a great player no doubt ( but because of injurys we probably never saw the best of him), Moore was the best i have seen and i put Toby up there with him in reading the game.

Fair enough. I'm just impressed by how consistent the guy is - he's the guy I don't think we can really replace if he goes down injured, regardless of how deep our squad is.

Fair enough. I'm just impressed by how consistent the guy is - he's the guy I don't think we can really replace if he goes down injured, regardless of how deep our squad is.

That is the winner for me, there are a lot of very good/great players around but a lot of them have periods when they are not at their best, ( you could say Eriksen, Lamela and others have shown that) but Toby is very rarely off form and it was the same with Moore, hence the comparison and the reading of the game is top class.

We all agree he is outstanding defensively but has anyone above yet highlighted his exceptional attacking credentials? Not only the precision of his long balls out of defence - often 50-yarders to the feet of our forwards out wide or around the edge of their box but also when coming up for dead ball situations around their box his immense skill in shaking off defenders to get to the ball first and head powerfully goalwards?

Talk about two-for-the-price-of-one!

I'm still baffled we got Alderweireld for only £15m!
Think of all the money brickty have thrown away on defenders:
Mangala £32m
Otamendi £32m
John fudgeing Stones £50m!

And none of them are even close to being as good as Toby! The most impressive thing about him is that he does this brilliant defending without hardly touching a hair on the attackers! He rarely gives away free-kicks, and almost never gets booked. Why Simeone let him go is beyond me! But thanks!!

Did you write (or read) this article?

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/how-did-toby-alderweireld-fall-into-tottenhams-lap?

Back