• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

But were they great captains because they were chest thumpers? Do you need to be like that to be an effective captain? Despite the widespread acclaim for their captaincy skills, did their teams or country perform markedly better than you would expect, given the players, under their captaincy?

Yes in short, Arsenal have not won the title since Vieira, Gerrard lifted his team to at least 2 trophies, Emirates Marketing Project are a different team without Kompany. Wes Morgan has been a rock at the back for Leicester and scored some crucial goals. Nothing wrong with a little chest thumping from time to time, not everything needs to be intellectual. As I said we have been hovering around the 70 points Mark for several seasons now, we need to go forward by around 10 points more perhaps we need that special person to drive us to those points.

Yes in short, Arsenal have not won the title since Vieira, Gerrard lifted his team to at least 2 trophies, Emirates Marketing Project are a different team without Kompany. Wes Morgan has been a rock at the back for Leicester and scored some crucial goals. Nothing wrong with a little chest thumping from time to time, not everything needs to be intellectual. As I said we have been hovering around the 70 points Mark for several seasons now, we need to go forward by around 10 points more perhaps we need that special person to drive us to those points.

You haven't really answered the questions. Has Morgan's captaincy been the difference between Spurs and Leicester this season? Is he a significant improvement in that capacity than Lloris? Did Gerrard's great captaincy halt Liverpool's fall? Is what is missing from Emirates Marketing Project, Kompany the player or Kompany the captain?

You haven't really answered the questions. Has Morgan's captaincy been the difference between Spurs and Leicester this season? Is he a significant improvement in that capacity than Lloris? Did Gerrard's great captaincy halt Liverpool's fall? Is what is missing from Emirates Marketing Project, Kompany the player or Kompany the captain?

That wasn't the question Milo. I did answer with examples of how the captains made difference to teams, perhaps the small difference needed to win things. You are now asking different questions. Anyway mate we are taking this thread O/T so I will leave it there.

I'd argue that's more to do with the quality of the individual in a key position where (other than Morgan) they were world class

Any team would miss world class players as we see all the time

I have actually seen more leadership in Morgan than the others IMO

That wasn't the question Milo. I did answer with examples of how the captains made difference to teams, perhaps the small difference needed to win things. You are now asking different questions. Anyway mate we are taking this thread O/T so I will leave it there.

Look at the difference Suarez and Bale made and neither was the captain ... But we're world class players

Gerrard? The last thing we needed on Monday night was someone like Gerrard.

Gerrard on the subject of tackling: “I was put on this earth to steam into tackles. For most professionals, tackling is a technique. For me, it’s an adrenaline rush … the sight of the other team with the ball makes me sick … I have to claim it back. It’s my ball, and I’m going for it. Tackling is a collision which sorts out the cowards from the brave.”

If only Ledley and Woodgate had been able to manage this feat!

Ciibrr6XIAAcco9.jpg

Slight technicality: Toby came off in stoppage time away to Chelski when he challenged for a ball with Costa and looked to be injured...

They indicate 3,420 minutes in that stat, which is 90 minutes x 38 matches. So I guess they don't count injury time for that purpose. Impressive nevertheless.

I haven't noticed him in any of Verthongen's social media posts with photos of the Belgian squad in training. Pardon my ignorance, but is he in the Belgium squad for the Euros?

;)
They indicate 3,420 minutes in that stat, which is 90 minutes x 38 matches. So I guess they don't count injury time for that purpose. Impressive nevertheless.

I haven't noticed him in any of Verthongen's social media posts with photos of the Belgian squad in training. Pardon my ignorance, but is he in the Belgium squad for the Euros?
I thought he was Dutch.

The 3 Spurs that made the final squad for Belgium feature in these photos posted by Alderweireld...

Guardian on-line 26-9-16 by David Hytner

Toby Alderweireld can still feel the stab of regret. Perhaps it will never truly leave him. After all, how many times can a player come within touching distance of the European Cup only to see it whisked away? The Tottenham Hotspur defender had entered the 2014 final as an 83rd-minute substitute for Atlético Madrid and with stoppage time almost over, they were 1-0 up against their city rivals, Real.

Then Sergio Ramos made a run that took him across four Atlético defenders and on to Luka Modric’s corner kick. He timed his leap and the header to perfection and everybody connected to Atlético can still see the ball knifing its way into the far corner of their net. Real would win 4-1 in extra time.

“Of course it hurts,” Alderweireld says. “It was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to win the Champions League. We gave everything in the 90 minutes and, after that, extra time was difficult for us. I look back at the whole season and not only the final – we had won La Liga the previous weekend and two days after the final, I was preparing for the World Cup with Belgium. I’ve tried to look at it that way – not only the negatives. But, of course, it hurts if you talk about it.”

Alderweireld was reminded that night at Estádio da Luz in Lisbon of the importance of ruthlessness and looking after the smallest of details. However, he took a more general point away from Atlético’s run to the final, which had carried them past Milan, Barcelona and Chelsea in the
knockout rounds, and it is one that bolsters his conviction before Tottenham’s Champions League Group E tie atCSKA Moscow on Tuesday night.

“It’s that every team can win the Champions League if you put your mind on it,” Alderweireld says. “If you have a good squad and the hunger is there to win something, you can do it. At Atlético we had the big teams like Barça, Real, Bayern Munich – they were always the favourites. But if you are a really good group, and, of course, we had quality, too – you can win it. That’s the thing that has stayed with me.”

Alderweireld is not saying that Tottenham can win the Champions League this season, merely that they ought to approach what is a daunting assignment at CSKA without an underdog complex. “We have to be confident in our quality and confident that we can get the result against any team,” he adds. “We don’t have to look too far into the future, just game by game and try to go to the next round.”

Leonid Slutsky’s CSKA are unbeaten in the Russian Premier League since last April – a run of 16 matches – and they made a promising start to their Champions League campaign with a 2-2 draw at Bayer Leverkusen, having been 2-0 down. The game against Spurs will take place at the new, 30,000-capacity Arena CSKA, which opened on 10 September.

Alderweireld has played in Moscow before – for an Ajax team that also featured his Tottenham colleagues Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen. It was March 2011 and they lost 3-0 to Spartak Moscow to depart the last 16 of the Europa League 4-0 on aggregate.

That was a hostile occasion and Alderweireld anticipates more of the same against CSKA. Russian clubs have long made the most of their home advantage. “Why? It’s the atmosphere,” he says. “But if I compare to that Ajax team – we were all very young, whereas now we know in the Premier League how to play difficult away games. Nobody is scared to play here and to play our own game. We know that there is a little bit more pressure on us because we lost our first game at home to Monaco but I’m very confident.”

Tottenham will bring about 250 fans and they have advised them not to wear club colours in the city. After the violence between England and Russia followers at Euro 2016, there is the risk of tension. It was put to Alderweireld that he might expect to feel it. “It’s difficult for me to tell but in Russia it’s always like this, especially Champions League games,” he says. “We only have to focus on the pitch. The rest is not in our hands.”

Alderweireld has matured since his Champions League final appearance for Atlético. He excelled on a season-long loan at Southampton and since his £11.4m move to Tottenham in July of last year, he has been the cornerstone of the Premier League’s most frugal defence in terms of goals conceded. At international level, the 27-year-old has also come to be considered as the heir apparent to [Emirates Marketing Project’s] Vincent Kompany in the Belgium team.

“At Ajax, I got an education in how to be confident on the ball, my technique, and then, at Atlético, I learned how to defend,” Alderweireld says. “It was about the details, the ruthlessness; be clinical in front of your own goal, win every duel, be clever. I learned so much and, defensively, I grew there so much.

“Diego Simeone [the Atlético manager] taught me to enjoy clean sheets. Even if it’s 3-0 or 4-0, like it was at Stoke two weeks ago, the thing is to get the clean sheet, to get good numbers. You take that mentality all the way [to the full-time whistle] and you take it to the next game. Always be focused and never let it go – that’s something I’ve learned so much. I learned that from Simeone.”

Simeone is two years older than the Tottenham manager, Mauricio Pochettino, and the pair played together for Argentina. “They both like to have a team that works very hard,” Alderweireld says. “And they work us very hard. The pressing is similar as well. There are differences. Pochettino likes to play from the back, with the buildup, have the ball. But they are both winners. They want to win everything. They want to win every game.”

Gerrard? The last thing we needed on Monday night was someone like Gerrard.

Gerrard on the subject of tackling: “I was put on this earth to steam into tackles. For most professionals, tackling is a technique. For me, it’s an adrenaline rush … the sight of the other team with the ball makes me sick … I have to claim it back. It’s my ball, and I’m going for it. Tackling is a collision which sorts out the cowards from the brave.”

Hence the muppet got sent off against Utd with his first tackle was it not?

Gerrard on the subject of djing: “I was put on this earth to steam into stereos. For most professionals, djing is a technique. For me, it’s an adrenaline rush … the sight of the other man at the controls makes me sick … I have to claim it back. It’s my music, and I’m going for it. Egotripping is a collision which sorts out the idiots from the departs.”

I'm still baffled we got Alderweireld for only £15m!
Think of all the money bricky have thrown away on defenders:
Mangala £32m
Otamendi £32m
John fudging Stones £50m!

And none of them are even close to being as good as Toby! The most impressive thing about him is that he does this brilliant defending without hardly touching a hair on the attackers! He rarely gives away free-kicks, and almost never gets booked. Why Simeone let him go is beyond me! But thanks!!

Back