• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Only a knock, hopefully. Since he played the game out, there's probably no serious injury.

i'm not gonna be harsh on him regarding the first goal, yes he let his man go but Cahill could only go into a mass of players, there wasn't anywhere for Toby to run into, Cahill would't have got anywhere near it had Dier not been thrown to the ground in front of him

Yeah, he was at fault for both goals, but that's very easily forgivable. The team was collapsing around him and he did his bit to try to hold it together. It's times like these that I wish Hugo was a bit more vocal, though.

I never understand why goalkeepers are made captain of the side, they are so far away from the play on occasions that their input is nothing. To many of our players lost control last night and we need a stronger capt in the middle of the field ( imo).

I voted for him as player of the season, but he poor last night, unfortunately. I can't understand what he was doing on the first goal. He just wasn't paying attention. How can you lose focus like that in such a huge game? It's extremely difficult to understand. He gave away the corner in an unecessary fashion too, but that can happen.

I also think he let Costa go past him too easily for the second goal, and when he first realised he was beaten, he should have brought him down. For all the fouls we commited last night, we failed to commit the one we really should have commited. He wasn't even on a yellow card.

More players were at fault for that goal though. Dembele should have done a better job at tracking Hazard's run, and a couple of other players were beaten too easily earlier on in the attack. Both goals were easily avoidable, but I guess you always think that about goals you concede.

I never understand why goalkeepers are made captain of the side, they are so far away from the play on occasions that their input is nothing. To many of our players lost control last night and we need a stronger capt in the middle of the field ( imo).
Mate that was exactly my reservation when Hugo was made captain but was told in the modern game you can have more than one leader. I have personally backed Kane to be the captain and I stand by that.

I voted for him as player of the season, but he poor last night, unfortunately. I can't understand what he was doing on the first goal. He just wasn't paying attention. How can you lose focus like that in such a huge game? It's extremely difficult to understand. He gave away the corner in an unecessary fashion too, but that can happen.

I also think he let Costa go past him too easily for the second goal, and when he first realised he was beaten, he should have brought him down. For all the fouls we commited last night, we failed to commit the one we really should have commited. He wasn't even on a yellow card.

More players were at fault for that goal though. Dembele should have done a better job at tracking Hazard's run, and a couple of other players were beaten too easily earlier on in the attack. Both goals were easily avoidable, but I guess you always think that about goals you concede.
Hazard's goal was quite similar to the Alexis goal at the Lane. Felt Alderwireld could have done better then too. Saying that he has mostly been brilliant this season so I can allow him off moments.

Mate that was exactly my reservation when Hugo was made captain but was told in the modern game you can have more than one leader. I have personally backed Kane to be the captain and I stand by that.

i think if you have a team full of leaders then the captains armband is little more than a token memento which you give to the player who commands the most respect from his team mates (or other reasons personal to managment) - i think we have leaders all over the pitch and as such it's a silly thing to get caught up on tbh, would giving Kane the armband mean his team mates have more respect for him on the pitch or are more likely to listen to him? i don't think so

I think Hugo seems like a great captain. He seems like a sensible and intelligent bloke who always speaks honestly and truthfully. I think he's the kind of guy who people listen to when he talks and I think he has a calming influence of the team. On the other hand, I have also heard in interviews that he is not afraid to speak about the things we need to improve on. He is also always on the team sheet and it can be problem if the captain is no longer good enough for the team.

Just because one man is captain (in our case the keeper), it doesn't mean that others can't take responsibility on the pitch too. And I think we have players who do that. I don't agree with DubaiSpur that the team was collapsing around Toby last night. I thought we looked fairly comfortable. We were not under relentless pressure in any way. Normally we are under a lot more pressure when we are one goal up in these games than we were last night. Chelsea didn't create much at all apart from their goals. We fell apart after the equaliser, not before.

i think if you have a team full of leaders then the captains armband is little more than a token memento which you give to the player who commands the most respect from his team mates (or other reasons personal to managment) - i think we have leaders all over the pitch and as such it's a silly thing to get caught up on tbh, would giving Kane the armband mean his team mates have more respect for him on the pitch or are more likely to listen to him? i don't think so
Not sure I agree, Bill, that we have leaders all over the pitch. We have lots of good players but that does not make them leaders per se. If you look at the captains at our rivals teams past and present, Leicester have Wes Morgan, literally a huge character, Chelsea, John Terry, City Vincent Company, Utd Rooney. In the past Viera at Arsenal, Keane at Utd, Gerrard at Liverpool. All these teams have or had very good players but it is hard to argue against their choice of Captain. I don't see lloris as a big enough character let alone being far away from the action. For me that leader is Harry Kane but I know I am in a minority.

Not sure I agree, Bill, that we have leaders all over the pitch. We have lots of good players but that does not make them leaders per se. If you look at the captains at our rivals teams past and present, Leicester have Wes Morgan, literally a huge character, Chelsea, John Terry, City Vincent Company, Utd Rooney. In the past Viera at Arsenal, Keane at Utd, Gerrard at Liverpool. All these teams have or had very good players but it is hard to argue against their choice of Captain. I don't see lloris as a big enough character let alone being far away from the action. For me that leader is Harry Kane but I know I am in a minority.

fair enough mate, but do you think giving him the captains armband would enhance those characteristics? the way i see it he's still the same player without the armband as he would be with it

I think that it is difficult to assess the impact of a captain without being in the dressing room. I think that it is telling that a lot of the players that you mention are the chest thumping style of captain so beloved of the British fans. I think that it is a common mistake to confuse making a lot of noise with leadership.

I think that it is difficult to assess the impact of a captain without being in the dressing room. I think that it is telling that a lot of the players that you mention are the chest thumping style of captain so beloved of the British fans. I think that it is a common mistake to confuse making a lot of noise with leadership.

Yeah - you want a general, not a drill sergeant

We have no one who can do the job those you mentioned did/do, its the one area we lack and unfortunately we have not one who could do that ( imo). However I have always thought that its pointless having a player ( Lloris) who for most parts of the game is to far away from the action to have any input to general play.

So in your opinion none of those players that Robspur mentioned were/are not good leaders of teams. Can not agree with that at all.

So in your opinion none of those players that Robspur mentioned were/are not good leaders of teams. Can not agree with that at all.

I didn't say that, I said that it is hard to say whether Lloris is an effective captain without first hand experience and that from a distance it can be easy to mistake making a lot of noise for being a leader.

Back