• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Timo Werner

An alternative to Werner with finishing is a £60m player
And we have son that is the player there in theory
And anyone new would block the progression opportunities for Moore
It’s why we got Werner in for the squad
I’m mad we didnt do a deal for sancho though as he would have been great for us :mad::mad:
In the last couple of years Sancho and Palmer would have been very good signings for us. A shame we didn't feel they fit or didn't think they were ready.

Edit:

The interesting with Sancho is we reportedly almost had a deal with him agreed when he was leaving City but they wouldn't sell to us nor wanted to allow him to leave on a free so Instead they sold him to Dortmund. I wonder how his career would have panned out of Porch had managed to get hold of him.

Agreed on most counts, though Son doesn't seem to play at the LW in the same way that Werner does. Seems to me that Son is trying to make runs into the centre instead of keeping the pitch stretched.

I suspect that Moore may well end up playing inside in the role that Kulu is currently playing. He'll start his career out wide where there is more time and less consequence of losing the ball but end up moved inside as he gets to grips with the pace of PL football.

Agree re: Sancho.
Son does play like that
I’m not sure if that is what Ange wants or is a case of accommodating things to get son in

In the last couple of years Sancho and Palmer would have been very good signings for us. A shame we didn't feel they fit or didn't think they were ready.

Edit:

The interesting with Sancho is we reportedly almost had a deal with him agreed when he was leaving City but they wouldn't sell to us nor wanted to allow him to leave on a free so Instead they sold him to Dortmund. I wonder how his career would have panned out of Porch had managed to get hold of him.
Yep
Said it when we sold Walker we made a mistake
Said it when we signed Johnson we should have signed palmer
Both would have been outstanding here and are IMO Spurs style of players

Do his good points compensate for his lack of finishing for you? 👀
Not really but it’sa valid and balanced view of time.

I’ve been told by many on here to curb my expectations of spurs and not hope for a full tilt at silverware just a bit of luck … so in digesting that trollop just enjoy Werner for what he can do and not what he can’t.

Same with Romero, love it when he gets nasty and gets sent off. All enjoyable if you have no expectations.

Fully agreed with both of you.

People will probably disagree with some of this, but I'd rather have a player that fits the system and mostly plays well within the system and struggles with end product rather than the opposite.

Shortages in end product, particularly missed chances, are much more visible or at least gets more attention. But not functioning well within the system causes so many problems.

Of course we want players who do more, do both, but for now Werner is a functional part as a squad player as we wait for Odobert, Moore, whoever ends up becoming that player.
He isn't a functional player, he is a liability. He should never have come back to Spurs and he should be starting, I would rather play Djed there, as he was far more effective going forward than Werner and got a goal to his name as well.

I don't want liabilities playing for us, I would rather give young hungry players ago, who play without fear and go for it... Rather than some clueless headless chicken running at 150mph achieving naff all fast.

That pass where he missed everyone....

I like the fella, he gives it all, so an excellent attitude.... But come on.

Yep
Said it when we sold Walker we made a mistake
Said it when we signed Johnson we should have signed palmer
Both would have been outstanding here and are IMO Spurs style of players
Probably wouldn't have played them anyway, just loaned them out for years before moving them on.

He isn't a functional player, he is a liability. He should never have come back to Spurs and he should be starting, I would rather play Djed there, as he was far more effective going forward than Werner and got a goal to his name as well.

I don't want liabilities playing for us, I would rather give young hungry players ago, who play without fear and go for it... Rather than some clueless headless chicken running at 150mph achieving naff all fast.

lol

I like Spence, but he scored a tap in against a pub team

Club would have been mental to sign Sancho - people talk about us failing on the due diligence side of things with previous signings, well Sancho has the biggest red flags of any player going currently after his time at United. Chelsea can afford to take that sort of risk, we can't.

lol

I like Spence, but he scored a tap in against a pub team
And that pub team was better than 10 man united and went 1-0 up, played us off the park, with Werner having an awful game, giving the ball away more than anyone else, IIRC. Djed was in the right place at the right time.

So you can laugh all you want, but history and facts are not in your favour.

I will try and see attributes Timo offers. And as long as others score then his misses won't matter as much. However In some cases they will matter. Eg. Saudi Sportswashing Machine when we could have gone 2 up. It's like never expecting Sissoko to score.
Anyhow he is here for a season so we can only hope at some point it turns around

The argument for his signing was that he was meant to be used as a backup, now people want him to start. Is Son the player he was 2-3 years ago? Absolutely not but he still gets 10-15 goals in a bad year. I’d even advocate for Moore getting the minutes Werner would be normally get if Son’s form nosedives. Don’t see the point of using Werner as a starter if he’s not a long term option.
He is being used as a backup. Starting when Son and Odobert and Richarlison were injured (think he would have started ahead of Richarlison anyway).

If some people now wants him to start that doesn't say anything about him being signed as a backup. And doesn't say anything about how the manager will actually use him.

Moore is getting minutes. But he's a 17 year old kid, would it have been good for him or anyone to have him start away to United at this point?

If we hadn't signed Werner and Ange hadn't seen Moore as ready to start yet in this kind of game we probably would have seen Kulusevski in one of the wide roles, no Kulusevski in midfield and a worse performance. Werner gives us a functional left wing backup option and that's a good and useful thing.

He is a liability in front of goal, that much I would agree with. Outside of his finishing he's very much a functional player for this role in this system. Outside of those two finishes and a couple of other moments he played very well. That doesn't make him a liability on the whole.

I would rather have that option and for Ange to then be able to make a choice of when and how to play the young and hungry. As he does. That's obviously also an option Ange wanted.

If Werner being here meant that the young players didn't get chances I'd agree with you. Odobert started before he got injured. 17 year old Mikey Moore has been getting minutes and the season has barely started.

He is being used as a backup. Starting when Son and Odobert and Richarlison were injured (think he would have started ahead of Richarlison anyway).

If some people now wants him to start that doesn't say anything about him being signed as a backup. And doesn't say anything about how the manager will actually use him.

Moore is getting minutes. But he's a 17 year old kid, would it have been good for him or anyone to have him start away to United at this point?

If we hadn't signed Werner and Ange hadn't seen Moore as ready to start yet in this kind of game we probably would have seen Kulusevski in one of the wide roles, no Kulusevski in midfield and a worse performance. Werner gives us a functional left wing backup option and that's a good and useful thing.

No, I understand playing him on Sunday when Son is injured. I disagree that he should be playing INSTEAD of Son when Son is fit. Son isn’t the player he was a couple of years but I’d still rather pick him than Werner whose end product isn’t good enough.

No, I understand playing him on Sunday when Son is injured. I disagree that he should be playing INSTEAD of Son when Son is fit. Son isn’t the player he was a couple of years but I’d still rather pick him than Werner whose end product isn’t good enough.
That is what Ange is doing. It's also what I would want. Some people on the internet having a different opinion on that says nothing about the rationale for him being signed/loaned.

That is what Ange is doing. It's also what I would want. Some people on the internet having a different opinion on that says nothing about the rationale for him being signed/loaned.

Fair enough mate. I accept old Trafford isn’t the best place to through Moore into the fire. But also believe if he’s good enough then he should play, especially over Werner.

Fair enough mate. I accept old Trafford isn’t the best place to through Moore into the fire. But also believe if he’s good enough then he should play, especially over Werner.
If he's good enough and ready. Ready mentally. Ready physically. Ready to do the job for the team off the ball. Sure.

Ange will be the judge of when that's the case. If you think Ange will somehow miss Moore being ready because we have Werner the issue isn't signing Werner the issue would be Ange.

This is the same Ange who chucked Odobert straight in. Who relied heavily on Sarr from the start of last season. Who integrated Udogie quickly. I have no concerns about him overlooking Moore because of Werner being here. Had it been Conte, sure.

Moore seems to be progressing well. Ange is giving him minutes, seemingly also gradually increasing the minutes he's getting. Happy days. If he does explode onto the scene at some point fairly soon, fantastic. If he needs time that's fine too. In part that's fine because we have an option in Werner who can do a job.

I like many have great expectations of Moore and think picking Werner ahead of him was exactly the right thing to do. Moore is so much better than his opponents at age level football and it will take him time to adjust to the pace and physicality of PL football, many seasoned overseas plays struggle at first and letting him get accustomed to the realities of senior football and his failures will help his development. I've only seen him play about a dozen times but he appears a confident youngster with a clear view on how he wants to play and is not easily intimidated by being targeted by opponents.

Some see Werner as a better fit for the system and that is why they want him to play, not that they think he is a better player than Son.
Against Utd Werner stayed wide, it gave space for Madders and Kulu to work in and at times for the fbs to get forward without everyone stepping on each others toes. With Son in the side his natural game is to come inside and this has caused problems in other games causing the centre to get congested.

Back