• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Timo Werner

Are you annoyed because he will be replacing your beloved Bryan Gill in our squad?

Now when you look at this signing like that this could actually be our biggest upgrade ever.

I would say all of Gil, Solomon, Werner and Parrot should go, and then we bring in a new first choice CF and LWF (with Son, Richarlison, Kulu and Johnson taking the 4 other forward spots). But we're obviously going for Werner, rather than a starter.

But we've still got about 35 over 21s on the books and can only name 25, so have got to have a net reduction of 10, made worse by any incomings. Accumulating not really good enough squad players holds us back
The club is probably quite confident about getting outgoings done then?

"Not really good enough squad player" it's a harsh description for a player who did well this second half of the season. And a player who Ange seemingly really wanted to keep.

But we've still got about 35 over 21s on the books and can only name 25, so have got to have a net reduction of 10, made worse by any incomings. Accumulating not really good enough squad players holds us back
And yet Ange wants him in our first team squad. If it were up to me I might not have signed him myself. Besides, neither you nor I know what the plans are for this summer, Ange on the other hand does.

Once we have completed our business I will either be happy or not, however I will not start complaining just yet.

I think it's also worth remembering that Werner came in mid season lacking match fitness and being new to the system. I think there's at least a decent chance he'll be even better with a preseason and having had time to settle in.

Him coming in and doing well so quickly bodes well for him being a squad option type player for us. We need squad options that can come in and be trusted to perform, not players that need a run of games to get up to speed.

Also while his most valuable impact probably was his ability to beat a man one vs one and get a cross in his overall play was quite good I thought. He isn't a head down, one paced player. Capable of slowing things down, decent link up play.

I can definitely understand Ange wanting him to stay.

The forwards as a whole aren’t good enough. Not just the striker.
In your view
But as I’ve said before
You can have amazing forwards but if the focal point isn’t good enough/can’t do the job then the system fails
It’s like having the fastest car but with a driver who is more careful then fast…

But there's still the 25 player cap. Depth is about your 13-22 being nearly as good as your 1-11. Its not about having 30+ players
No one is saying that we should have 30+ players. Surely no one at the club thinks we should have 30+ players only to suddenly realise when it's registration day that we can't register them all.

Depth is about a lot of things, including the quality of those players. Imo it's about having a mix of experience and younger players with big potential. It's about having players that fit the system. It's about having players that are versatile. It's about having players that fit into the group and are very good professionals.

Werner ticks a lot of those boxes while also being a rather good footballer as he's already shown here.

We're obviously not in a "sell first" mode as we have been in the past (for various reasons). Good, get the deals we want that can be done over the line and move on. The club will figure out a way to get the required players out the door.

In your view
But as I’ve said before
You can have amazing forwards but if the focal point isn’t good enough/can’t do the job then the system fails
It’s like having the fastest car but with a driver who is more careful then fast…
Wouldn't be surprised if we're looking to sign another wide player too. Or someone who can play wide and in the Maddison role.

Back