• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

That's not true regarding Sherwood, he was brought in as a coach under Redknapp in October 2008.

He wasn't coaching though was he? He was in charge of loans - i.e. sourcing loans for our players and then tracking their progress while they were out.

IIRC he only got a coaching role after Inglethorpe got poached by Liverpool in summer 2012.

Well, according to Dawson, Timmeh has cut our daily training time from 3 hours down to 90 minutes. That could explain the drop in fitness?

Isnt that in line with current theory though?
90 minutes training to simulate 90 minutes of a game and all that.
I'm pretty sure i read about Guardiola doing that.

He wasn't coaching though was he? He was in charge of loans - i.e. sourcing loans for our players and then tracking their progress while they were out.

IIRC he only got a coaching role after Inglethorpe got poached by Liverpool in summer 2012.

No, he was brought in as a coach. He took a step up to being in charge of youth development when Redknapp left in June 2012. Inglethorpe joined Liverpool in November 2012.

So even if Sherwood wasn't coaching in between being promoted and Inglethorpe leaving, and I honestly don't know the answer to that, we are only talking about a few months.

I agree with the pressing argument. We do stand off of teams and some of the players look afraid to put their foot in, as if just chasing them away from goal is enough.

Its how we played under AVB this season though. We rarely pressed. It was part of his saving energy until the final 15 minutes theory wasnt it?
Its hard to change into a pressing team at the touch of a button.

Also once we press up that means the defence have to come forward which they might be afraid to do now.

Isnt that in line with current theory though?
90 minutes training to simulate 90 minutes of a game and all that.
I'm pretty sure i read about Guardiola doing that.

I found this interview with Dawson where he mentions that sessions are shorter but more intense but it doesn't include specifics.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/08/tottenham-michael-dawson-fourth

Of course the length and intensity of training sessions would vary over the course of a season. One of the other issues that managers have to contend with is players getting bored in training.

The three hours could also explain our unnaturally high injury rate.

Not all of it would have been physical. There were the tactical bits as well.

No, he was brought in as a coach. He took a step up to being in charge of youth development when Redknapp left in June 2012. Inglethorpe joined Liverpool in November 2012.

So even if Sherwood wasn't coaching in between being promoted and Inglethorpe leaving, and I honestly don't know the answer to that, we are only talking about a few months.

What age group was he in charge of between 2008 and 2012? I just never remember seeing him on the list of coaches with Bradley Allen and the rest. This is a list I can find from a few years ago:

Staff:
John McDermott - Tottenham Hotspur Academy Manager
Bryan Klug - Tottenham Hotspur Academy Player Development
Richard Allen - Head of Recruitment
Dean Rastrick - Tottenham Hotspur Academy Performance Manager
Trevor Webb - Education & Welfare Officer
Ross Embleton - Tottenham Hotspur Academy Integration Manager

Coaching:
U18 - Alex Inglethorpe
U15 - Bradley Allen
U14 - Justin Cochrane
U13 - Mehmet Ali/Will Antwi
U12 - Tony Tillbrook/Andy Purcell
U11 - Saul Hurst/Joe Staunton
U10 - Gary Broadhurst/Alex Matton
U9 - Robbie Polkinghorn/Michael Donaldson
GK Coach - Perry Suckling/Alex Welsh
Coach - Glen Hicks

Not all of it would have been physical. There were the tactical bits as well.

What age group was he in charge of between 2008 and 2012? I just never remember seeing him on the list of coaches with Bradley Allen and the rest. This is a list I can find from a few years ago:

Staff:
John McDermott - Tottenham Hotspur Academy Manager
Bryan Klug - Tottenham Hotspur Academy Player Development
Richard Allen - Head of Recruitment
Dean Rastrick - Tottenham Hotspur Academy Performance Manager
Trevor Webb - Education & Welfare Officer
Ross Embleton - Tottenham Hotspur Academy Integration Manager

Coaching:
U18 - Alex Inglethorpe
U15 - Bradley Allen
U14 - Justin Cochrane
U13 - Mehmet Ali/Will Antwi
U12 - Tony Tillbrook/Andy Purcell
U11 - Saul Hurst/Joe Staunton
U10 - Gary Broadhurst/Alex Matton
U9 - Robbie Polkinghorn/Michael Donaldson
GK Coach - Perry Suckling/Alex Welsh
Coach - Glen Hicks

I believe that he was coaching the first team when Redknapp was here.

i thought he was in charge of the next gen age bracket, or involved at least - remember seeing post match interviews with him

i thought he was in charge of the next gen age bracket, or involved at least - remember seeing post match interviews with him

The Next Gen coach was Inglethorpe up until November 2012 but he would have been reporting to Sherwood that season.

I think that I remember correctly that Windy has said that Sherwood was a regular at youth games even before he took over responsibility for the development squad.

GB will ignore the facts that you've presented and instead go with his opinion.

GB will ignore the facts that you've presented and instead go with his opinion.

Back to GB's original point about Freund being more experienced. Freund has been a coach for one more year than Sherwood but all of Freund's experience prior to joining us in July 2012 was with international or youth international sides. This would mean that he probably had spent less days on the training ground than Sherwood and had no experience of coaching a team day in day out until a year and a half ago.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Freund though. The fact that he was retained after AVB left means that the club sees something in him and I hope that he goes on to be with us for many years to come.

Well, according to Dawson, Timmeh has cut our daily training time from 3 hours down to 90 minutes. That could explain the drop in fitness?

Maybe - although I don't think I have seen any evidence of a drop in fitness.... In fact we play the game at a faster pace now whereas we looked much slower under AVB.

I also wonder whether training too much / for too long could've had an impact on the number of injuries we seemed to have under AVB? As we finally now seem to be getting somewhere near a full strength squad again now.... coincidence or the result of "Timmeh's" reduced training time?

Didn't Alex Ferguson always reduce the amount of physical training time that his squad did as the season went on? I'm sure I can remember something along those lines with him stating that player fitness would not reduce because of this towards the back end of the season with it also having a positive effect on the likelyhood of picking up injuries?

I haven't seen fitness as being a big issue in matches, more the lack of awareness of who is where (team-mates) and passes being made without appreciating that an opponent is close enough to intercept.

In short - it's our passing, particularly when we're playing slooooooowly.

And that is why you're not our coach.

What happens on the training ground is vastly different to what happens once you get out on game day.

You're up against different players who do different things to on those you encounter on the training ground, 30k fans getting on your back affects you, pitch conditions, refereeing decisions, different players alongside you making decisions that work against you, there are too many factors for it to be the same in both places. You can only train a player so much the rest has to be left up to the individual to put into practice.

No offenses, don't buy it, we somehow have a whole team that is magically less intelligent/capable of following instructions than Everton/Southampton/Chelsea/Swansea?

The coaches role is to make it happen, not sit and blame it on players.

No offenses, don't buy it, we somehow have a whole team that is magically less intelligent/capable of following instructions than Everton/Southampton/Chelsea/Swansea?

The coaches role is to make it happen, not sit and blame it on players.

Chelsea have far better players than us, so let's remove them from the equation. Do you think that with the others that, at least in part, you watch Spurs more closely and have a far greater emotional investment so you notice mistakes and failure a lot more?

Back