• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

Me too. He's a part time coach with the U16s. The Mail had this interesting interview with him in the summer which has been posted here a few times

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...go-Ehiogu-England-need-DNA-continue-fail.html

he speaks very well of Sherwood too

Good read that, glad to see us helping young english coaches get their first feet on the coaching ladder. Would like Ginola to come back and give advice to townsend as he suggested last week.

Didn't Alex Ferguson always reduce the amount of physical training time that his squad did as the season went on? I'm sure I can remember something along those lines with him stating that player fitness would not reduce because of this towards the back end of the season with it also having a positive effect on the likelyhood of picking up injuries?

I wouldn't expect us to be doing much fitness work at this time of year.

Those gaps, however, should be filled with tactical work.

Its how we played under AVB this season though. We rarely pressed .

What matches were you watching?

I get that you don't like/understand the guy (delete as applicable) but you can't just state the precise opposite of the truth in an attempt to belittle him.

There have been games this season where we have pressed immediately after losing the ball and won it back, but Modric is right. We started pressing in some games but in the end we witnessed half the team pressing whilst half dropped off (Arsenal away saw Dembele pressing whilst Paulinho dropped off at times). Swansea at home was an example of when we pressed well but in other games we almost adopted a half press, where we would shadow their players but not physically harass them off the ball.

Chelsea have far better players than us, so let's remove them from the equation. Do you think that with the others that, at least in part, you watch Spurs more closely and have a far greater emotional investment so you notice mistakes and failure a lot more?

absolutely, but doesn't change my opinion

- AVB's team seemed a more rigid, better possession, less creativity, able to hold the ball in top 3rd of field, but no idea what to do after. Also vulnerable to very direct type play (interesting, exactly the type of play that destroyed the Scum this week-end).
- TS, more players involved in attack, leading to us being capable of scoring more (just numbers in box), but positional discipline and possession discipline is substantially worse, and decision making has not improved, also still missing what's the real plan to get goals, is it feed Ade? if so how/where?

The comment I was responding to indicated that perhaps we have to accept that our players don't follow orders, honestly that's idiocy, hate Pulis all you want, but someone he gets a bunch of cloggers to be disciplined, you can't tell me a team full of international players from Brazil, Argentina and a host of European countries can't follow basic coaching.

There have been games this season where we have pressed immediately after losing the ball and won it back, but Modric is right. We started pressing in some games but in the end we witnessed half the team pressing whilst half dropped off (Arsenal away saw Dembele pressing whilst Paulinho dropped off at times). Swansea at home was an example of when we pressed well but in other games we almost adopted a half press, where we would shadow their players but not physically harass them off the ball.

That's not what he said at all.

No teams full press for 90mins every match - it's just not possible. Taking turns, pressing hard then easing off, this is what all teams do after they've established in the minds of the opposition that a press is happening.

The only time I remember us just standing off a team was Utd away when we just parked the bus.

What matches were you watching?

I get that you don't like/understand the guy (delete as applicable) but you can't just state the precise opposite of the truth in an attempt to belittle him.

thats actually quite ironic considering it has been done to Sherwood and Redknapp and Ade etc, another way your exchange with modric thfc is ironic....one of which is that modric THFC was right...we stopped pressing properly in the latter stages of AVB;s tenure. noticeable drop in effort and conviction to the pressing plan.

quite frankly our pressing became average at best

No offenses, don't buy it, we somehow have a whole team that is magically less intelligent/capable of following instructions than Everton/Southampton/Chelsea/Swansea?

The coaches role is to make it happen, not sit and blame it on players.

hah, more irony :lol:

absolutely, but doesn't change my opinion

- AVB's team seemed a more rigid, better possession, less creativity, able to hold the ball in top 3rd of field, but no idea what to do after. Also vulnerable to very direct type play (interesting, exactly the type of play that destroyed the Scum this week-end).
- TS, more players involved in attack, leading to us being capable of scoring more (just numbers in box), but positional discipline and possession discipline is substantially worse, and decision making has not improved, also still missing what's the real plan to get goals, is it feed Ade? if so how/where?

The comment I was responding to indicated that perhaps we have to accept that our players don't follow orders, honestly that's idiocy, hate Pulis all you want, but someone he gets a bunch of cloggers to be disciplined, you can't tell me a team full of international players from Brazil, Argentina and a host of European countries can't follow basic coaching.

I agree with you. I think that we probably notice fluctuations in form more with our own team more than others. I will be interested to see how our midfield looks when Sandro is back, he's head and shoulders above the others and should help bring a bit more stability to midfield.

Being honest is one thing .. go ****ing do something about it

The thing with TS is, he has had training ground time, a lot of it due to being out of the cups, yet the team seems terribly undisciplined (especially outside of back 4), that to me has very little to do with player talent, winning mentality, decision making, that is -> coaching.

maybe he is working on his style and has an end game in plan? maybe he is first working on one thing then he will address another etc etc.

give him time, like say ......3 whole years maybe??!!! a few weeks isnt enough surely.

3 years then judge him, this isnt even his team...plus its a whole new team of strangers...etc etc. you know the routine;)

maybe he is working on his style and has an end game in plan? maybe he is first working on one thing then he will address another etc etc.

give him time, like say ......3 whole years maybe??!!! a few weeks isnt enough surely.

3 years then judge him, this isnt even his team...plus its a whole new team of strangers...etc etc. you know the routine;)

Timmeh keeps telling us what a simple game football is. If it's simple, he shouldn't need time.

Timmeh keeps telling us what a simple game football is. If it's simple, he shouldn't need time.

Is it possible that he says different things to the press than he thinks in private or says to the squad?

Is it possible that he says different things to the press than he thinks in private or says to the squad?

Absolutely.

I'm sure we've been through this before, but you can only get an advantage from playing the fool once. If you're playing the fool and not getting the advantage then you're just a fool.

Absolutely.

I'm sure we've been through this before, but you can only get an advantage from playing the fool once. If you're playing the fool and not getting the advantage then you're just a fool.

I don't think that he does it to gain a footballing advantage, I think that he does it so that he doesn't have to answer in depth questions from journalists. Pretty much all successful managers have a method of deflecting questions, I think that this is his.

I don't think that he does it to gain a footballing advantage, I think that he does it so that he doesn't have to answer in depth questions from journalists. Pretty much all successful managers have a method of deflecting questions, I think that this is his.

I suppose unless we know the answer we'll all apply our bias. I get the impression he does it to avoid getting caught out.

Do you not think Sherwood's everyman interview schtick is just an attempt to curry favour with fans who like that type of thing. He knows he still auditioning for this job and he's trying to get as much support from fans as possible.

Do you not think Sherwood's everyman interview schtick is just an attempt to curry favour with fans who like that type of thing. He knows he still auditioning for this job and he's trying to get as much support from fans as possible.

Why should Sherwood need to curry favour with Spurs fans?

He's our manager and he should be given everyone's wholehearted support as a matter of course.

I don't think he is, no. If he is then it's a really stupid thing to do.

Football is changing, even the most Neanderthal-like fans will soon realise that football is a bit more complicated than "get the ball to the big guy who'll lay it off for the little guy".

There's not much point chucking your chips in with a dying breed of fans - especially not when doing so will lead to ridicule amongst those who feel the opposite way about football.

Absolutely.

:lol:

I don't think he is, no. If he is then it's a really stupid thing to do.

Football is changing, even the most Neanderthal-like fans will soon realise that football is a bit more complicated than "get the ball to the big guy who'll lay it off for the little guy".

There's not much point chucking your chips in with a dying breed of fans - especially not when doing so will lead to ridicule amongst those who feel the opposite way about football.
but football is still about entertainment, people want to be excited by what they are watching after paying a fortune for the privilege. Thats where AVB and some of his like are getting it wrong, especially here in English football. It wasnt just Spurs fans becoming highly frustrated by how we were playing, but also many in the media picked up on how drab we were becoming to watch. Of course this doesnt mean im advocating the Moyes approach of simply lumping 80 crosses into the box in one game. I hope that style disappears forever. But there is room for a balanced approach, the technical passing and movement that foreign football brings combined with the speed,power and goalmouth action that English football is known for. Imo of course

Back