• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

De Boer? what the hell has he proven besides being able to win a garbage league?

If we make CL and Levy sacks Sherwood for De Boer then he's a complete idiot.

you clearly know zero about football and make comments from your arm chair. the slightest look at FDBs approach to football culture and tactics will show anybody will half a brain he is destined to be a great.
FYI in the garbage league you speak off Ajax went 6 SEASONS without winning the league and then he arrived (with the same budget and resources as previous managers - actually spent very little money but completely changed the training and tactics/formation) and won 3 league titles in a row. They havnt won 3 in a row since 1993-96.

he comes from the exact same school as Pep, LVG and Cruyff. but what did they ever achieve

you dont hire somebody on CV's alone. Some of the best managers in the world (Mourinho, Pep, Wenger, Fergy etc) had no spectacular managerial CV. Every now and then a manager with special talent comes along who is obviously on his way to the top and if you have a chance to hire that person on potential then you do before somebody else does.

Last edited:

Controlling the game just to get possession of the ball, keep it with no intention to do anything with it, is defensive.
Spain at the last euros played defensive a lot of the time.

i think controlling sits midway in the spectrum bookended by offensive (attacking) and defensive extremes.

it prevents the other team for attacking - no need for real defending
but as we have seen with AVB it doesn't translate to more/better attacks.

I'd be interested to know why a few people think we will bag the title in the next three seasons if LVG does sign up. Whilst we know he is a good coach, I think we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves. Certainly it's the long term goal, but for me we need to take some pressure off our team before building them up for such things.

I'd be interested to know why a few people think we will bag the title in the next three seasons if LVG does sign up. Whilst we know he is a good coach, I think we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves. Certainly it's the long term goal, but for me we need to take some pressure off our team before building them up for such things.

I think we've got the third best squad in the country (yes, still just ahead of Arsenal), but we are playing well below the sum of our parts. With the right vision, leadership and system, we've got the foundations in place now to do something very special.

LVG is a manager of the calibre we've never dreamed of. We've never made an appointment as major as this. It's the equivalent of say snaring Ferguson a decade ago (and you can see the 6 league positions difference he made at United).

LVG also has previous - he took middling AZ and won the title with them against the firmly entrenched big 3 (Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV). And remember he beat all the big spending Italians to win the CL with small-league Ajax in 1995.

City and Chelsea will be hard to topple because of their resources, but we can be smarter than them - punch above our weight. van Gaal is a winner, pure and simple.

I think we've got the third best squad in the country (yes, still just ahead of Arsenal), but we are playing well below the sum of our parts. With the right vision, leadership and system, we've got the foundations in place now to do something very special.

LVG is a manager of the calibre we've never dreamed of. We've never made an appointment as major as this. It's the equivalent of say snaring Ferguson a decade ago (and you can see the 6 league positions difference he made at United).

LVG also has previous - he took middling AZ and won the title with them against the firmly entrenched big 3 (Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV). And remember he beat all the big spending Italians to win the CL with small-league Ajax in 1995.

City and Chelsea will be hard to topple because of their resources, but we can be smarter than them - punch above our weight. van Gaal is a winner, pure and simple.
He's a bit mad though, isn't he?

you clearly know zero about football and make comments from your arm chair. the slightest look at FDBs approach to football culture and tactics will show anybody will half a brain he is destined to be a great.
FYI in the garbage league you speak off Ajax went 6 SEASONS without winning the league and then he arrived (with the same budget and resources as previous managers - actually spent very little money but completely changed the training and tactics/formation) and won 3 league titles in a row. They havnt won 3 in a row since 1993-96.

he comes from the exact same school as Pep, LVG and Cruyff. but what did they ever achieve

you dont hire somebody on CV's alone. Some of the best managers in the world (Mourinho, Pep, Wenger, Fergy etc) had no spectacular managerial CV. Every now and then a manager with special talent comes along who is obviously on his way to the top and if you have a chance to hire that person on potential then you do before somebody else does.

:ross:

Are you Dutch btw?

Who wouldn't of won the champions league with.
Edwin van der Sar, Michael Reiziger, Danny Blind, Frank de Boer, Frank Rijkaard, Clarence Seedorf, Edgar Davids, Jari Litmanen, Overmars, Ronald de Boer, Kanu and Kluivert.

This was basically Holland vs Milan. The only time he has won the champions league.

2) He left the Dutch team the first time around due to players rejecting his methods 3) famously insisted on playing the best number 10 in the world and FIFA world player of the year Rivaldo as a winger

4) He won the league with a Barca dream team when madrid were at the time spending very little money. in his 3rd season he even lost out on the title to Deportivo to show you much Madrid wernt at the races back then.

If my nan was in charge of Ajax and Barca dream teams she would have the same CV

Last edited:

Who wouldn't of won the champions league with.
Edwin van der Sar, Michael Reiziger, Danny Blind, Frank de Boer, Frank Rijkaard, Clarence Seedorf, Edgar Davids, Jari Litmanen, Overmars, Ronald de Boer, Kanu and Kluivert.

This was basically Holland vs Milan. The only time he has won the champions league.

2) He left the Dutch team the first time around due to players rejecting his methods 3) famously insisted on playing the best number 10 in the world and FIFA world player of the year Rivaldo as a winger

4) He won the league with a Barca dream team when madrid were at the time spending very little money. in his 3rd season he even lost out on the title to Deportivo to show you much Madrid wernt at the races back then.

If my nan was in charge of Ajax and Barca dream teams she would have the same CV

Come on - very few of those Ajax players were names before he assembled that team. It's like saying anyone could have done Ferguson's job in 95/96 season if they had Beckham, Scholes, Giggs and Neville etc. Other than Litmanen and Rijkaard (who was back for his second spell), the rest were academy players.

It's almost baffling that we are questioning the credentials of one of the greatest football managers of all time! The guy that Mourinho, Guardiola and de Boer try to emulate.

What makes him so great GB?

Seems to me he's just won leagues with favourites throughout his career

Come on - very few of those Ajax players were names before he assembled that team. It's like saying anyone could have done Ferguson's job in 95/96 season if they had Beckham, Scholes, Giggs and Neville etc. Other than Litmanen and Rijkaard (who was back for his second spell), the rest were academy players.

It's almost baffling that we are questioning the credentials of one of the greatest football managers of all time! The guy that Mourinho, Guardiola and de Boer try to emulate.

so because they wernt big names it means they wernt world class operators, all same age all international quality which wouldnt of made the job to mange them easy. off course not. i forgot ability on the pitch is not what wins games, its how big their name is

p.s the key players were between 21-23 they wernt kids and rikkaard was 32. not that makes any difference.
they all went on to major clubs in europe and become household names. they were world class players who can win football matches regardless if you knew their name or not

we are talking about a guy who managed barca, ajax and bayern and only has 1 champions league medal. his domestic honours ( not including AZ ) were when rivals were not in the picture.
knowbody is trying to emulate him - pep, mourinho, fdb and LVG all come from the cruyff school. total football, triangles, switching position, 3 men in midfield, attention to youth came from cruyff philosophies

is he a step up for us? - absolutely
is he a better option than FDB? a younger more dynamic version - absolutely not

Last edited:

What makes him so great GB?

Seems to me he's just won leagues with favourites throughout his career

He created dynasties. Philosophies.

With Ajax he brought total football into the modern age. Built/used the now legendary Ajax academy. Created the system that born Eriksen, Verts, van der Vaart, Davids. Winning the CL in 95 was easily equal to Mourinho doing it with Porto. It was as significant as winning it with Celtic today would be.

At Barcelona remember he took over from Bobby Robson. Yes a lot of his rival Cruyff's foundations were still in place, but he was the guy who put together the team that his protégés Rijkaard and Guardiola reaped the rewards of.

He then got bored of not having enough challenge, so went and won perennial mid-table AZ their first title in decades.

Even at Bayern he set-up the foundations for the first team that could genuinely challenge the monster that he'd created with Barcelona.

I genuinely don't think there's a more brilliant manager working in the world at the moment. As I've said, Mourinho and Guardiola are the apprentices. He is the master.

He created dynasties. Philosophies.

With Ajax he brought total football into the modern age. Built/used the now legendary Ajax academy. Created the system that born Eriksen, Verts, van der Vaart, Davids. Winning the CL in 95 was easily equal to Mourinho doing it with Porto. It was as significant as winning it with Celtic today would be.

At Barcelona remember he took over from Bobby Robson. Yes a lot of his rival Cruyff's foundations were still in place, but he was the guy who put together the team that his protégés Rijkaard and Guardiola reaped the rewards of.

He then got bored of not having enough challenge, so went and won perennial mid-table AZ their first title in decades.

Even at Bayern he set-up the foundations for the first team that could genuinely challenge the monster that he'd created with Barcelona.

I genuinely don't think there's a more brilliant manager working in the world at the moment. As I've said, Mourinho and Guardiola are the apprentices. He is the master.

Nothing above is true in the slightest. you dont know your history
FYI took over from Bobby Robson when they had world record signings and multiple signings where at Madrid the most they spent was 5million on Redondo.
if he was at Barca now they would finish 3rd

Last edited:

Nothing above is true in the slightest. you dont know your history
FYI took over from Bobby Robson when they had world record signings and multiple signings where at Madrid the most they spent was 5million on Redondo.
if he was at Barca now they would finish 3rd

what kind of statement is that? pure conjecture

as for the previous post re Ajax and their players - i think any side that wins the Champions League needs a high number of quality players so to hold that against him seems a rather strange stance to take. He built that team and took it to the pinnacle of what it could achieve - that is as big of an achievement as he could ever had hoped for.

and let's not make out that Milan of 95 were not the great footballing force they were either. (Holland Vs Milan - what does that even mean?)

what kind of statement is that? pure conjecture

as for the previous post re Ajax and their players - i think any side that wins the Champions League needs a high number of quality players so to hold that against him seems a rather strange stance to take. He built that team and took it to the pinnacle of what it could achieve - that is as big of an achievement as he could ever had hoped for.

and let's not make out that Milan of 95 were not the great footballing force they were either. (Holland Vs Milan - what does that even mean?)
the year before didnt they humiliate the Cruyff Barca dream team 4-0 in the CL final

Bit like everyone here said about AVB back when he was appointed. That worked out well didn't it.

Turn the clock back 18months and replace FDB with AVB and you have a fairly good representation of what many many Spurs fans were saying when he was appointed.

Right, so it's perfectly OK to hire someone with no spectacular CV from outside your own club, but not OK to appoint someone with no spectacular CV from within the club?

FDB would probably be my choice if I had to pick anyone new but we know no more about whether he would succeed at Spurs than we did when we took on AVB or TS.

Here's an exert from FDB's Wikipedia page;

Since 2007 De Boer had taken up a coaching role at his former club Ajax where he was in charge of the club's youth sector. During the 2010 World Cup, he was the assistant of the Netherlands national football team, with retired player Phillip Cocu.[13] On 6 December 2010, after the resignation of Martin Jol, De Boer was appointed caretaker manager of Ajax until the winter break.

Sound familiar??????

Bit like everyone here said about AVB back when he was appointed. That worked out well didn't it.

Right, so it's perfectly OK to hire someone with no spectacular CV from outside your own club, but not OK to appoint someone with no spectacular CV from within the club?

FDB would probably be my choice if I had to pick anyone new but we know no more about whether he would succeed at Spurs than we did when we took on AVB or TS.

Since 2007 De Boer had taken up a coaching role at his former club Ajax where he was in charge of the club's youth sector. During the 2010 World Cup, he was the assistant of the Netherlands national football team, with retired player Phillip Cocu.[13] On 6 December 2010, after the resignation of Martin Jol, De Boer was appointed caretaker manager of Ajax until the winter break.

Sound familiar??????
Guardiola too, 1 year coaching the Barca B team and bang he took charge of the main team

Sound familiar??????

i was never one of those people. i loathed the AVB appointment from day 1. the porto job he did never got me excited.

like I said its not the CV as that is all relative.
its the philosophy of the individual. FDBs philosophy of players interchanging, outnumbering opponents, playing triangles is THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF AVBS slow, no purpose, side passes all day long, no player ever moving out or beyond their set position mantra he is so famous for.

FDB is a completely different beast to AVB. FDB is a football man through and through, AVB is a 'Championship Manager 2004' put 11 players on a pitch and hope for the best manager.

Last edited:

i was never one of those people. i loathed the AVB appointment from day 1. the porto job he did never got me excited.

like I said its not the CV as that is all relative.
its the philosophy of the individual. FDBs philosophy of players interchanging, outnumbering opponents, playing triangles is THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF AVBS slow, no purpose, side passes all day long, no player ever moving out or beyond their set position mantra he is so famous for.

FDB is a completely different beast to AVB. FDB is a football man through and through, AVB is a 'Championship Manager 2004' put 11 players on a pitch and hope for the best manager.

So if he was available you'd get rid of TS no matter how well he does then I take it?

Back