• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

I don't, not sure how a player like Berbatov coming back (with his tail between his legs at least a little) could be disruptive, Berbatov was only a problem when he wanted to leave.

The decision to buy/loan no one in this window is baffling, either TS is an idiot, or Levy doesn't trust him (and has other summer plans), it's desperately obvious the club could do with someone to help lift the team at least a little.

It's interesting that Arsenal have passed up on him twice in the last few years. United offered him to them before he joined Fulham and again in the last window. He left Fulham because he fell out with Meulensteen when they were at United.

Hoping that Sherwoods talk of using Lamela and Chadli in advanced roles is a sign. Certainly I don't think Paulinho is a player who can function in a team with two strikers because he wants to be making those late runs into the space in the box, space that wasn't there. We just don't look balanced right now, which I'm hoping will be changed in the next two months. Hopefully come April we will start to look like a team both in defence and in attack

I've not really read the papers lately, so was basically you can have Berbatov or no one?

He's the only substantial rumour of a striker that we were close to. I read (can't recall where) that the deal was set up but Sherwood refused to sanction the move.

Anybody really think having Berbatov as an option on the bench Saturday would have been a bad thing?

He's the only substantial rumour of a striker that we were close to. I read (can't recall where) that the deal was set up but Sherwood refused to sanction the move.

Well in that case, I can see why he didn't want Berbatov, not exactly a team player is he.

Anybody really think having Berbatov as an option on the bench Saturday would have been a bad thing?

Not if you assume Berbatov would be happy with being an option from the bench, happy to work reasonably hard for the team and came back to try his hardest for the club.

Some pretty hefty assumptions to have to make about a player who went from Manchester United to Fulham at 31 with plenty of bigger clubs closer to the top of slightly smaller leagues reportedly after him. A player that other clubs near the top of the PL have steered away from when he's been available.

I imagine trying to understand quantum theory would be somewhat simpler than understanding the psyche and motivation of Dimitar Berbatov.

chelsea beat Emirates Marketing Project so they are on another planet too, according to sherwood.

despite negative tactics, mind games, mourinho is clearly a good coach and tactician.

I reckon he'd have been up for it, especially as it seems Soldado isn't perfoming at the moment, the guy may have seen it as a chance to show what he could do.

chelsea beat Emirates Marketing Project so they are on another planet too, according to sherwood.

despite negative tactics, mind games, mourinho is clearly a good coach and tactician.

He intelligently used a defensive shield in front of his back four as well...:-"

I also think we should have gone in for Berbatov. A loan move would have been perfect, risk free as either he come here and plays great or he becomes disruptive in which case we terminate his loan.

I also think we should have gone in for Berbatov. A loan move would have been perfect, risk free as either he come here and plays great or he becomes disruptive in which case we terminate his loan.

Sherwood did not want him. He was lined up. Tim said no.

I'd like to think TS turning down a striker was his way of showing faith in Soldado. Not kicking a man when he's down.

Far more likely that Levy said it's Berbatov or nothing and Sherwood thought the nothing option got the same impact on the squad, but for less money.

Looking at the last 2 years of Berbs career I'd agree.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fapatalk

michael owen ‏@themichaelowen
Amazing how many people say formations / systems don't matter, it's players that matter. ********.

Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker
“@themichaelowen: Amazing how many people say formations / systems don't matter, it's players that matter. ********.” < Correct.

@GaryLineker Of course players have a huge influence but play identical teams against each other in 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 and the 4-5-1 dominates.

@themichaelowen Agree with everything you've said tonight.

RJ1882 ‏@MrRJKeown
@GaryLineker @themichaelowen someone tell Tim Sherwood.

Amazing how many people say formations / systems don't matter, it's players that matter. ********.

“@themichaelowen: Amazing how many people say formations / systems don't matter, it's players that matter. ********.” < Correct.

@GaryLineker Of course players have a huge influence but play identical teams against each other in 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 and the 4-5-1 dominates.

@themichaelowen Agree with everything you've said tonight.

RJ1882 ‏@MrRJKeown
@GaryLineker @themichaelowen someone tell Tim Sherwood.

That was a cheap shot by them tbf; No matter what TS has actually said he DID play 4-5-1 in two of the last three games..

You need the right players AND the right formation. Emirates Marketing Project have blitzed others who have played 4-5-1 as well.

The key to today's game at the Etihad were twofold:

1) City being forced to play Demichelis in CM; usually a recipe for disaster again the pace and trickery of players like Hazard and Willian.
2) City not having Aguero, whose speed, movement, interplay and trickery would have given Cahil and Terry enourmous headaches (and given Negredo more room to play)

Wrong game for them to talk about the deficiencies of TS 4-4-2 ideas imo

the reason why TS didnt want a striker in Jan is obvious.
he is moving towards a lone striker system and we already have 2 established plus Kane. Simple as that. why would be want 4 players going for one position. he will give them till the end of the season to prove their worth.

That was a cheap shot by them tbf; No matter what TS has actually said he DID play 4-5-1 in two of the last three games..

You need the right players AND the right formation. Emirates Marketing Project have blitzed others who have played 4-5-1 as well.

1) City being forced to play Demichelis in CM; usually a recipe for disaster again the pace and trickery of players like Hazard and Willian.
2) City not having Aguero, whose speed, movement, interplay and trickery would have given Cahil and Terry enourmous headaches (and given Negredo more room to play)

3fold.
ive said time and time again our biggest problem under TS is the gap between mid and def being huge, its not the formation that matters its how close players are to each other. luiz and matic were glued to cahil and terry and silva couldnt play between the lines.
carra and neville even showed the 2 examples (spurs city and chelsea city) in the after match analysis. when we played city, silva had a field day cos he had so much space to drift into.
FORMATIONS MEAN ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. they all can work if the team attacks and defends in unity.

Last edited:

TS has himself to blame with the way he brushed off the poor perfomances and critiques of his player selections/team performances.

But he's still young and has lots to learn in front of the camera and mic. He is like a young rash redknapp... give it a few years and he will be best friends of the media and young master of juicy media-friendly soundbites.

I always hate it when managers praise other teams who have just beaten their team as "world class", "world's best team" etc. Just admit your team were not good enough. Why try to hide your team's weakness by praising other teams ?

I always hate it when managers praise other teams who have just beaten their team as "world class", "world's best team" etc. Just admit your team were not good enough. Why try to hide your team's weakness by praising other teams ?
oh come on, even Pellegrini himself said that Citys performance, especially in the first half, was the most complete he has seen from them this season......City have been sensational this season, a joy to watch, and against us they were unstoppable. We could have played better, but lets not take anything away from how City played and i for one dont mind our own manager publicly praising what City are trying to do and the way they do it on the pitch. It is something to aim for, id rather we use Pellegrinis football as a template than Mourinhos version even if as i suspected long ago that Mourinho will outsmart Pellegrini and Chels will win the title this year

You realise it was neither Lineker or Owen who made that last comment? It was someone else (RJ1882) who added them to their comment.

Back