• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

It felt to me like we were so easy to open up at times. Again the space in front of the defence is gaping and we haven't addressed it
this is the obvious one for me... it just means that we're playing very risky football and we're going to drop points unexpectedly... not a profile befitting champions league football, when 4 places from the EPL is already in question.

bentaleb is a tidy player but i think we have more urgent needs now and experience in the centre is certainly something useful to build up on. feels like timmeh is blindside by this issue, or we've gone from one pig-headed coach to another.

Playing 2 up front away from home is always a bit risky and with no dembele or a fit sandro in the centre to provide nabil with support it was alwsys going to be risky starting with nabil and Pauli n bobby and ade upfront.

But its the sort if risk that has been paying off for Sherwood. Its the sort of manager Tim wants to be seen as, not afraid to take some risks rather than play it safe like avb.

The reality is that sometimes taking risks doesnt work.

For my own part the avb system of 4231 was much more silid if unspectacular and what needed doing was getting the team playing with a higher tempo rather than slow and steady, and get more bodies in the box.

Tim achieved both thjngs through a 442 formation built in a very much more attacking platform without a dedicated experienced dm, but a wonky formation at that.

Tim has now made a bit of a rod for his own back. Through picking nabil ahead of the likes of capoue consustently he is making it nigh on lmpossible to pick him going forward barring an injury to nabil, and hes forced holtby out so options are limited with moussa out.

Moosa is the one that makes timmehs team work, as he did avbs when partnered him with sandro.

Agree in that I think Dembele was a big miss in our lack of control today.

dembele was the hero in that Emirates Marketing Project game for me. put body on the line and took on yaya and won. sandro or capoue would have forseeably engaged in the challenge and getting involved in tangles themselves and take some load off dembele . yeah agree we are going to miss him much.

----------------Lloris

Walker---Dawson---Verts------Rose

-------Bentaleb------Sandro/Demb

--------------Paulinho

Lamela----------------------Eriksen

--------------Adebayor

I think the correct use of substitutions is one of the most important attributes of a good manager.

When we played Chelsea away in the FA Cup quarter-final a few years ago, Jol surprised everyone by playing Lennon centrally in a 4-3-1-2 formation. Half an hour gone, 2-1 down and with us all over them, Mourinho hauled off Ferreira for Wright-Phillips and rejigged his team. Out-tacticed (as Big Sam would say) in the starting elevens, Mourinho changed things quickly and decisively and escaped with a draw.

A draw was probably a fair result yesterday, but it was a game that was there for the taking (for both sides) towards the end. Sherwood had his pick of under-performers to haul off against Hull, in particular Lennon and Soldado. They had promising chances in similar positions in the first half, but both were squandered through poor decision-making and indecisiveness. With twenty minutes to go, those "qualities" were in view again as the camera focused on our bench:

1.gif

With twenty minutes to go at Goodison Park, Martínez brought on Naismith for defender John Stones as Everton turned it around against Villa. I'm not saying Sherwood should have done anything that drastic of course, but he definitely could and should have made changes, even just like-for-like ones.

We were two points ahead of Everton then, now we're one behind.

I think the correct use of substitutions is one of the most important attributes of a good manager.

When we played Chelsea away in the FA Cup quarter-final a few years ago, Jol surprised everyone by playing Lennon centrally in a 4-3-1-2 formation. Half an hour gone, 2-1 down and with us all over them, Mourinho hauled off Ferreira for Wright-Phillips and rejigged his team. Out-tacticed (as Big Sam would say) in the starting elevens, Mourinho changed things quickly and decisively and escaped with a draw.

A draw was probably a fair result yesterday, but it was a game that was there for the taking (for both sides) towards the end. Sherwood had his pick of under-performers to haul off against Hull, in particular Lennon and Soldado. They had promising chances in similar positions in the first half, but both were squandered through poor decision-making and indecisiveness. With twenty minutes to go, those "qualities" were in view again as the camera focused on our bench:

1.gif

With twenty minutes to go at Goodison Park, Martínez brought on Naismith for defender John Stones as Everton turned it around against Villa. I'm not saying Sherwood should have done anything that drastic of course, but he definitely could and should have made changes, even just like-for-like ones.

I think we should take gambles when the score is a draw. If we take gambles, even if we only win 50% of those gambles, then we'll have more points over the course of the season. If we won only 1/3rd of the games that we gambled in, we wouldn't be any worse off.

I say, just go for it, chuck people forward and see what can happen. Better to fail in trying to win a good number of points, than to fail by settling on a lower points target anyway.

That's the old old spurs, the (recent) old spurs would have won it late on with a shot from outside the box

The more recent old Spurs would have been given a penalty for handball by the goalkeeper, at which point our place kicker (Soldado) and the field goal unit would have come on to convert it.

(Super Bowl tonight)

I am convinced Sherwood relies entirely on Adebayor to score and win us the games. He doesn't seem to have an alternate plan when Adebayor has a poor game. Find it really annoying that he didn't bring on Kane, Sigurdsson or Chadli to try to win the game against Hull. No wonder Sherwood was confident he didn't need to buy anymore players. Maybe because he doesn't know how to use them !

I think we should take gambles when the score is a draw. If we take gambles, even if we only win 50% of those gambles, then we'll have more points over the course of the season. If we won only 1/3rd of the games that we gambled in, we wouldn't be any worse off.

I say, just go for it, chuck people forward and see what can happen. Better to fail in trying to win a good number of points, than to fail by settling on a lower points target anyway.

Good posts , He_is _you _ know #3646 & yours too El Guepardo.

Up to now , I've liked Sherwood more than I've disliked but yesterday against Hull , his inaction in not using his substitutes really irked me . It's easy to make changes when the game is either won or lost merely to preserve the condition of a first choice, or to keep players on the fringes happy with some game time . But managers are there to make changes during a match in an attempt to win an evenly balanced game, that's where they really earn their corn.

I'm trying to work out Sherwood's thinking and perhaps after the midweek mauling he felt it were more important not to lose the Hull game rather than to win it, or it could just be, that he's a manager without a Plan B? Either way , it's not what we are looking for if we're to give ourselves a chance for that 4th Champs League spot .

Everton next week, is now a must win game.

Good posts , He_is _you _ know #3646 & yours too El Guepardo.

Up to now , I've liked Sherwood more than I've disliked but yesterday against Hull , his inaction in not using his substitutes really irked me . It's easy to make changes when the game is either won or lost merely to preserve the condition of a first choice, or to keep players on the fringes happy with some game time . But managers are there to make changes during a match in an attempt to win an evenly balanced game, that's where they really earn their corn.

I'm trying to work out Sherwood's thinking and perhaps after the midweek mauling he felt it were more important not to lose the Hull game rather than to win it, or it could just be, that he's a manager without a Plan B? Either way , it's not what we are looking for if we're to give ourselves a chance for that 4th Champs League spot .

Everton next week, is now a must win game.

:D

Today was a conunndrum. I looked at the bench and wondered who would've changed that game. I wondered what would've happened if Soldado could do his primary job. I wondered what would've happened if Eriksen could do his job. Rose? Ah well... Too many players are just not performing. I still think we need to see what he does with a fully fit squad (Sandro and Townsend) but the signs are not amazing. I'd love to join the party and blame this draw on him but I can't. We started today with an alarming lack of verve, yet that's how we started often under AVB. I'd say that realistically, in these games, we need to take teams to the sword in the first 20-30 minutes and put the game away fast. We have the talent. There are so many question marks right now over the club (who's performing who's not, why, who might've come in during Jan, why they didn't, who's going to be the manager in the summer, what is the chairman's position on where we are, where will Baldini be in July) that it feels miraculous we are still in with a shout. Today was (sadly) typical Spurs. We've seen it too many times under too many managers. The question becomes whether Sherwood is the man who can break that habit/mentality or whether we throw our lot in with a Van Gaal. One thing is for sure. If we don't make top 4, the only chance we have of keeping Lloris and Vertonghen is someone like Van Gaal. By the way, I wish Van Gaal had a bigger nose, I think I'd trust him more/find him less egregious and more trustworthy!!!!!!

Well Harry managed to get us out of the blocks quick in a lot of games, remember some we started like an express train and bombarded their goal from the off.

Yesterday seemed like a rather meek acceptance that nothing more could be done, I mean we got the equaliser early in the 2nd half. Had a good boost from that for a bit and then it just fizzled out and he didn't do anything other than switching Lennon to the LW. He could have taken of Soldado for Chadli and pushed Eriksen more central for instance alongside Paulinho.

Also I know it's easy to say with hindsight but Holtby would have been an ideal substitution yesterday to give us a bit more energy in midfield and he can pick a good through ball as well.

Given we are playing Everton next week it was essential to get the win, preserve our lead and put the pressure on them to come to us and get a win, now they are probably thinking a draw will be a decent result and it will most likely end that way and an opportunity will have been missed to put a gap between us and stay with Liverpool.

I know he hasn't been manager that long but all the stories were that he's somehow the genius that the fans don't know about yet I've seen nothing particularly innovative to suggest that. Yes we've played some better football and scored a few more goals but I don't think that's genius work on the part of him, just a slight tweak in approach and Ade deciding to play like he can again for the most part but yet when he doesn't play well he seemingly has no Plan B.

Last edited:

I am convinced AVB relies entirely on Bale to score and win us the games. He doesn't seem to have an alternate plan when Bale has a poor game. Find it really annoying that he didn't bring on player A, Player B or Player C to try to win the game. No wonder AVB was confident he needed to buy anymore players. Maybe because he doesn't know how to use the ones he's got !

My changes make it sound just like last season.

I am convinced Sherwood relies entirely on Adebayor to score and win us the games. He doesn't seem to have an alternate plan when Adebayor has a poor game. Find it really annoying that he didn't bring on Kane, Sigurdsson or Chadli to try to win the game against Hull. No wonder Sherwood was confident he didn't need to buy anymore players. Maybe because he doesn't know how to use them !

Yeah but none of those three are tearing up trees. One of the biggest criticisms of the. Last manager was that he would make pointless substitutions which lost us any momentum. Perhaps Sherwood felt we had most threat in the players who were on the pitch.

Last edited:

I would've liked to see us switch it around to a 433 in those last 20 minutes. The clip of Sherwood and Ferdinand was a case of "what do we do?", Freund looked excluded from the conversation :(

1.gif

I agree. He wasn't brave enough with his subs yesterday. At 78ish minutes he should have freshened up the team. He said himself Paulinho looked tired at the end. But he didn't do anything. I guess he is learning. On the other hand there wasn't anyone who stood out - to be replaced or on the bench. Capoue is less attacking than Paulinho who can score. Bentaleb was running the show. Never the less I'd have had Capoue for Paulinho at the end and Bentaleb could have pushed forward if he got the chance.

Taking off Soldado and putting on Chadli woudl have been a brave move. Soldado was getting in the game and can score. I'm sure he can! Again it would have been a brave more. Had Soldado scored the winner setup by Paulinho...or Capoue come on cold and lost possession leading to goal...we'd be taking about different things. But I think we needed fresh legs for the last 10-15 minutes.

The result puts pressure on Sherwood. We should have got the result. There are clear areas we need to improve on. It's still a new team and there is lots of players to get settled.

Last edited:

My changes make it sound just like last season.

cute, except Bale scored 20+ and basically got better with every game, hence was worth the tactic.

My problem with Saturday was we appeared extremely disorganized tactically, seemed very random, Lennon in the middle, players drifting or just having no positional discipline. The game was ours to win if we just played well, held possession a little more and knew what the plan was to get the ball forward.

Back