• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tim Sherwood…gone \o/

Do you want Tim Sherwood to stay as manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Tim Sherwood - Head Coach

BfQwpe7CEAAhV1H.jpg

I think that you made your mind up before we had kicked a ball under him and are unlikely to change your mind whatever happens.

Quite right. Fully understand people are skeptical given his lack of experience but I can't fathom how they are so confident he will turn out to be a failure or why they are so unwilling to give him a chance.

Yeah I agree yesterday wasn't the best, in fact it was awful. To be fair we've been poor at the start of games under Sherwood in general and it's something that needs addressing quickly. We've managed to eventually get going in games against the likes of Swansea and Palace but it's too late if it takes you 40 minutes to get your act together against Emirates Marketing Project.

It's been the same for a while now going back to the end of Redknapps tenure, a team of two halves. I can probably count the number of times we've kept up the same level of play for 90 minutes in the last few years on my fingers it feels that bad. AVB was never able to remove it from us, and it seems Sherwood is struggling as well. You expect momentum to change during the passage of a game but far to often it's not momentum it's the players being off the pace, unable to string passes together or far too many individual errors.

I look at other teams in the league that blend intellect and agility with strength and pace and it constantly proves successful in the modern PL. It works for Emirates Marketing Project, Chelsea, Arsenal and did under Ferguson for Utd and is something Liverpool are working toward. I just don't feel our balance is right in the squad we have, in fact the only players we have that would fit that formula are Vertonghen, Dembele, Paulinho, Sandro and Erikson, we need to add a few more if we are to remove the one dimensional side of our play and be able to compete with the best.

The changes we were going through were massive. It couldn't happen all at once, so it seemed we started from the back. High line - tick. High possession - tick. Quick transition between midfield and attack - never quite got there (due to a combination IMO of Rose's injury and the two Eriks not being ready to bring in ahead of Townsend and Lennon).

We've got no leadership.

AVB assembled a team who were tough, but would be submissive to his will.

And then we went and decapitated ourselves.

An excellent point. I always felt this would prove an issue, his insistence that the squad be submissive to him, his intolerance of 'personalities'

to answer some other people's questions about the tonkings we got under him, I think the rot had been setting in already on both sides. I also think we will never fully grasp what the Bale situation meant to him. Bale had agreed to stay another year, we were bringing in his 'replacement' to slowly blend him in and not throw him in at the deep end, the switcharound happened mid-summer and suddenly it's all up the swanee. I don't think the manager ever got over that, and frankly, I don't think the club has either.
Having said that we are absolutely in with a shout of 4th, and if we can find a way to do it, we will get one more chance to get the right players in; that will be squarely on Lewis and Levy. If they get another crack, they cannot **** it up.

Were people calling him childish names like 'saggy faced ****' and belittling his background? There's a difference between people never warming to him or being unconvinced by him and character assassination.

I don't think people see the irony when they question Levy's decision to appoint a manager with no experience but were completely fine with AVB who flopped in his only previous job in this country and has only managed for about 3 years in total.

this

have to say that after reading some of the posts in this thread my faith in this place is startting to return/get restored a little bit what with the people that are strongly defending Sherwood and not behaving like some reputation craving chameleon

I'll name names, Craig_J, Jurgen_the_germab (as always), Kingdawson.... please take a bow.

it actually feels good to see a balance of opinions on here from either side about the topic of our manager...

yesterday was a bit of a mare and 5-1 cant all be down to the officiating. Sherwood got some things wrong...wasnt helped by a soft penalty and someone needs to look into that lino's bank account, but aspects of that game just showed how out of our depth our team currently is..we were getting back into to that game though when as always they went to chiriches' side at which point he did his rendition of Lost In The Wilderness and the **** penalty ...thing is you have to ask yourself about that gap that allowed what looked like a 5 a side game...****ing chasm that appeared like the red sea for moses...

i dont get why he didnt just do what he said he was going to do...how the **** did sigurdsson work his way into that starting 11?, what happened to the proper wonky with the creative left?

sherwood needs to be held accountable for the game but to judge him on that one loss as a failure is probably verging on the stupidest think i have ever heard from anyone

Were people calling him childish names like 'saggy faced ****' and belittling his background? There's a difference between people never warming to him or being unconvinced by him and character assassination.

I don't think people see the irony when they question Levy's decision to appoint a manager with no experience but were completely fine with AVB who flopped in his only previous job in this country and has only managed for about 3 years in total.

=D>

Thanks. I know what he is TRYING to do, but it was a poor comparison and badly made. As you say, nothing in my questioning of AVB has been personal, vitriolic or non-football related - unlike the quite pathetic anti-Sherwoodism there has been on here by some.

My questioning of the style of play AVB was delivering were QUESTIONS I raised AFTER three months of seeing it. Furthermore, he had a full pre-season and the opportunity of bringing in at least some of his own players. Raising questions and giving reasons for those questions, on a Spurs forum is entirely valid and based on my opinions of the FOOTBALL he was serving up, nothing more, nothing less. It certainly wasnt informed by some pre-judged prejudice that he and others have shown on here toward Sherwood.

I am grateful to you, DTA, for acknowledging that and it's a shame others can't also wait to give an assessment based on football alone. When I asked Scarra how long one should give TS before judging him, he replied at least to the end of the season and more realistically next season, AFTER he has had a pre-season of his own and brought in some of his own players. I agree that is the time to judge. Legitimate questions of style, selection, tactics etc are fine in the meantime, but, please make them from a rational, not predetermined viewpoint, coloured by prejudice on how he looks, what he speaks like etc etc.

Give him time before rushing to judgement AFTER he has had time to prove himself - one way or the other. Is that too much to ask?

That IS what the vast majority of posters that aren't exclusively pro-Sherwood are doing. What I have a problem with is everyone being lumped into one group, let's call it 'the anti-Sherwood phalanx', assigned the opinions of the very few posters that are truly negative and biased towards Sherwood and being told to 'just support the manager' or 'don't rush to judgements'.

Most importantly: It doesn't address any of the points being raised. Every game is another 90 minutes of football to discuss. I'm neither pro or anti, but there are issues with what he's doing that are questionable and I will raise those points when I see them/think of them. That doesn't mean I'm aiming vitriol at him or wanting him sacked.

have to say that after reading some of the posts in this thread my faith in this place is startting to return/get restored a little bit what with the people that are strongly defending Sherwood and not behaving like some reputation craving chameleon

I'll name names, Craig_J, Jurgen_the_germab (as always), Kingdawson.... please take a bow.

it actually feels good to see a balance of opinions on here from either side about the topic of our manager...

It's good to see a bit of brotherly love on GG. Are there any posters who are agnostic on Sherwood who you think are making good points?

That IS what the vast majority of posters that aren't exclusively pro-Sherwood are doing. What I have a problem with is everyone being lumped into one group, let's call it 'the anti-Sherwood phalanx', assigned the opinions of the very few posters that are truly negative and biased towards Sherwood and being told to 'just support the manager' or 'don't rush to judgements'.

Most importantly: It doesn't address any of the points being raised. Every game is another 90 minutes of football to discuss. I'm neither pro or anti, but there are issues with what he's doing that are questionable and I will raise those points when I see them/think of them. That doesn't mean I'm aiming vitriol at him or wanting him sacked.

So, again, what point were you attempting to make by re-posting my posts on AVB? Please explain.

Regarding the bold bit, was that not exactly what I was doing re AVB? Where is the difference?

Oh and who exactly are the posters who are "exclusively pro Sherwood" ?

Last edited:

good post, its all a bit highlander round here at the minute, you make any kind of criticism of TS and you have a very good chance of getting accused of being an AVB fanboy

I don't understand what has happened to us... Aren't we one of the biggest clubs in the world? And got someone who's never managed before? Who had the biggest loser attitude in his post comments at city? Who appears to have no plan in a game other than play his best players and go for it? Who has admitted on more than one occassion he doesn't know some of our players. Who the player he does know, bentaleb, though he was from Harlow? Who thinks that player is better than French international Capoue? Who refuses to play a DM even though every match we give about 10 decent chances to, including palace at home? Who thinks we don't need a left back? And losing Defoe holtby, Capoue somehow makes us stronger?

It's like real life football manager is happening to us....

Back